Writing in the Round

lonestarlibrarian

senior bean supervisor
Registered
Reaction score
A local theatrical company had issued a call for original scripts, and I was really intrigued. However, all of my playwriting/playviewing experience has generally been with a traditional stage, or perhaps a three-sided stage, and theirs is "in the round" . I found that really froze me into inaction. It's too late for this one--- but I'd appreciate any input on what unique elements to keep in mind for playwriting something meant to be performed in a way that's viewable from all directions.

audibob1

Registered
Reaction score
Hey! A bit late on this one but I wanted to respond for anyone else who still has this question.

I think one of the biggest restrictions when writing "in the round" is the set. Walls, trees, and other large pieces are likely going to be major viewing obstructions. Also, stay away from complicated sets. There are no immediate wings to hide set pieces in for quick changes. I've seen some theaters in the round that actually lower their set pieces from the ceiling via a pulley-type system. Either way, this is not the space where you can write a piece that covers five different locales. That's not to say that you can't still let the setting get creative, but just be careful.