Weird Things You Researched for Your Erotica

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I researched tides and currents on the Connecticut coast, considering dropping a body there. For fiction.

Maryn, who makes this sacrifice in the name of fiction, tee-hee

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Small radio stations' buildings. I want to tour the one I drive by all the time, abandoned for at least 20 years, but oddly enough, it doesn't appear to be open to tourist-writers.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, hot! Well, warm, anyway. Warm and cozy.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Today I got to research disinfectants used in the 1920s. Lysol was around, but the bottle was pretty different. Another popular disinfectant could be used to wipe surfaces, refresh laundry, replace your bar of soap, or serve as a mouthwash. I bet if it's weak enough to be a mouthwash, it's not all that effective on surfaces. They've been out of business for eighty years, so I guess we'll never know.

Reactions: Elenitsa

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
Today I got to research disinfectants used in the 1920s. Lysol was around, but the bottle was pretty different. Another popular disinfectant could be used to wipe surfaces, refresh laundry, replace your bar of soap, or serve as a mouthwash. I bet if it's weak enough to be a mouthwash, it's not all that effective on surfaces. They've been out of business for eighty years, so I guess we'll never know.
Snake oil has never gone out of fashion.

Reactions: Elenitsa

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
True, only now it goes by many names. I have a family member who buys into all kinds of baseless "cures" but is no healthier. To her, if it's difficult to do (eat gluten-free, juice everything you would otherwise chew and swallow, eat raw foods only) or expensive (quacks ain't cheap!), she'll try it. And of course none of these is covered by insurance.

I also got to research early refrigerators!

Reactions: Tarren and Elenitsa

dickson

Hairy on the inside
Registered
Reaction score
I read up on the Lincoln room in the White House, where Lincoln never slept (he used it as an office). A mysterious powerful Black political figure with White House access uses it for the occasional gay tryst, in part to thumb his nose at the shades of all the white racists and homophobes that occupied that edifice after using slave labor to build it.

The White House security and domestic staff turn a blind eye to his amours, out of respect for the good works he facilitates in the here and now.

Reactions: Maryn

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
How soon after giving birth:
  • Do you stop bleeding
  • Can you have sex
  • Get your period
  • Stop lactating (if you don't breastfeed)
All things that as a childless woman in her 40s, I find endlessly offputting and unsexy. But here we are.

Fi Webster

May 21-25 waxing crescent šŸŒ’
Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Texas originally, now living in Maryland (DC area)
Website
www.ipernity.com
All things that as a childless woman in her 40s, I find endlessly offputting and unsexy.

I think lactation can be erotic. I'm a childfree cis woman, too, but I got a fun take on breast milk when a doc I knew was studying antibodies in it. He had a patient on an ObGyn ward who happily squeezed her breasts with her hands to give him samples of her milk. She smiled from ear to ear while squirting out her milk. A light turned on my head: that could be fun in sex play!

Different strokes...

Reactions: InkFinger

Sonsofthepharaohs

Registered
Reaction score
I think lactation can be erotic. I'm a childfree cis woman, too, but I got a fun take on breast milk when a doc I knew was studying antibodies in it. He had a patient on an ObGyn ward who happily squeezed her breasts with her hands to give him samples of her milk. She smiled from ear to ear while squirting out her milk. A light turned on my head: that could be fun in sex play!

Different strokes...
Oh, don't get me wrong, I get that it can be erotic. I think I may have been 11 when I read a romance novel where him suckling her breast milk was a whole thing, so I was exposed to this concept early on. And this research I've been doing is for plot reasons but also sexy times (I'm talking cracked nipples being incorporated into a sexy massage - what's not to love?)

I personally just find everything about babies and childbirth really quite unfun, lol

Reactions: Fi Webster

Fi Webster

May 21-25 waxing crescent šŸŒ’
Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Texas originally, now living in Maryland (DC area)
Website
www.ipernity.com
I'm talking cracked nipples being incorporated into a sexy massage - what's not to love?)

You know cracked nipples are extremely painful, right? How would a woman suffering like that be up for a "sexy massage"?

Reactions: Sonsofthepharaohs

Catriona Grace

Mind the thorns
Registered
Reaction score
"Fun" is not quite the word for childbirth, but it has its interesting moments. ;)

I needed to know when peaches ripened in Colorado. Can't have a squishy juicy peach episode in a sun-warmed orchard if the fruit is still hard as, um, baseballs.

• Haha
Reactions: Sonsofthepharaohs

Sonsofthepharaohs

Registered
Reaction score
You know cracked nipples are extremely painful, right? How would a woman suffering like that be up for a "sexy massage"?
I was being a little tongue in cheek. He actually goes to get some salve to soothe them for her. The massage just takes a detour south...

Sonsofthepharaohs

Registered
Reaction score
"Fun" is not quite the word for childbirth, but it has its interesting moments. ;)

I needed to know when peaches ripened in Colorado. Can't have a squishy juicy peach episode in a sun-warmed orchard if the fruit is still hard as, um, baseballs.
I had a similar research requirement about pomegranates. Unfortunately, information on the growing season of these in ancient Egypt is somewhat more scant. Or perhaps fortunately, as it gives me a little more wiggle room ;)

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I learned the different types of lace fabrics, the difficulty level of sewing with them, how to finish their raw edges so they don't unravel, how expensive they are, and how they can be cleaned in a finished garment. That sexy dress my MC is making will not be cheap.

Scarlet Prince

Registered
Reaction score
I think I flipped this today. I was the information source rather than the researcher.

A friend heard the words "chastity cage" and was baffled, because how could chastity (not having sex) be a fetish? As someone who had written many such things, I felt compelled to explain...

The strangest thing I've had to research is probably how to translate modern sex toys into a medieval fantasy context. So, nothing that crazy...

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I do hope you will ask the site owner MacAllister via Conversation for the password to the Erotica board, where we talk about such things freely. Your Convo has to say you're 21 or older and ask for the password, for the site's legal protection.

Be forewarned Mac has a very full plate but will get to it ASAP, but it could be a while.

Reactions: Scarlet Prince

Scarlet Prince

Registered
Reaction score
I do hope you will ask the site owner MacAllister via Conversation for the password to the Erotica board, where we talk about such things freely. Your Convo has to say you're 21 or older and ask for the password, for the site's legal protection.

Be forewarned Mac has a very full plate but will get to it ASAP, but it could be a while.
Oh, thank you for the tip. I will do that, and try to find my way there. This place is very large and I am still exploring.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Burner phones is today's research. I've never bought one, never checked them out in stores. I'm trying to determine how the buyer knows the phone's number, so they can share it with people who might call or text them.

My people really shouldn't be risking phone sex on any device that can be traced to them.

Maryn, who prefers in-person sex

Reactions: alexp336

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
Back in the day, I would buy a burner when traveling internationally so that I had a phone in country. For about $100 I could have a cheap phone and a plan in country. Nowadays, you can just add an international plan to your phone before traveling. But the buying process was simple. Stop at a quickie mart, pick a phone, buy a card. When you activate the phone, you get the number off the phone itself.

Reactions: alexp336

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Divorce law and timeline where my ms is set. My own marriage is peachy.

j.martin

Registered
Reaction score
I used to know the word for it. You shure it's not a Newel Cap or a Finial? See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finial

I built a staircase once when I lived in France and bought a bunch of books on how to make them. The word escapes me and the books are long gone.

I don't write erotic fiction, but I consider my stories to be all the bits around the sex, which I generally avoid showing in the text except for very brief plot important sections. I sort of have three rules that I break infrequently. No fights, no chases, and no sex.

Reactions: Maryn

Tarren

Registered
Reaction score
Well since sex is such a integral part of pretty much everything I write, I could argue all the research I do is about sex. However, I recently wrote a 150 word vignette to turn my gf on one night. It worked but later I thought I could expand it into a piece of flash fiction erotica.

The vignettes MC was a female Island mage, with both her exact culture and precise form of magic use unspecified, the other two characters were a male and female from different cultures fighting over her. In the vignette the cultures of the two combatants were Aztec and Comanche. But for the expansion I wanted them to be warrior priests drawn from different and widely separated regions bordering the Pacific.

I divided the Pacific rim into three regions: Asia, North America, and South America, then began searching for cultures which I thought suitable. I eventually settled on a female Taoist monk from Five Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms China and a male Toltec warrior priest from Mesoamerica. While the female Island mage became a trans Polynesian sorceress. Then I had to work out a way to get all three together. I decided to see if an alt history where the Polynesians developed a mercantile trading civilisation linking the Americas with Asia would be a possibility.

This led to a lot of research into the development of marine and navigation technology along with the Austronesian expansion into the Pacific. After about a week or two I developed a rough timeline which could potentially make it work and allow me to set it in the Mid 10th century. Yes I had to bring forward the expansion into Polynesia by several hundred years, but that could be plausibly explained.

So after about three or four weeks research I was finally able to write the 500 word piece of flash fiction. Plus I had a pretty good blueprint for beginning the development of a brand new setting for my writing, one which I think has a great deal of exciting potential. Oddly virtually nothing from the original vignette survived the expansion, basically it was an entirely new piece.

Last edited: