How to watch 'The Lion in Winter" 1968 version only

Status
Not open for further replies.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So I won't pirate for a whole lot of reasons mostly about ethics and a nun with a ruler who sits on my shoulder and belts me if I forget ethics, but no-one (I've tried amazon, Vudu, and the other two downloady places that came up via google) will let me buy this. Or even rent it. Because they hate Australians, apparently.

How do I work around this, remembering there's nun with a ruler ready to belt me if I don't do ethics?

Amazon lets my buy books so I don't understand why they're being so mean about this. And also can I just say they'd be happy for me to buy the newer version but yeah, no. Not liking that. Not after Hepburn.

Halp!

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
This may be a stupid question, but have you tried your local public library?

What about Apple's iTunes store in Australia?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This may be a stupid question, but have you tried your local public library?

What about Apple's iTunes store in Australia?
Apple Aus just sneered and sent me to the new version (ugh I can't even) but you and Helix both reminded me that local libraries are a thing. So I'll try that tomorrow. Thank you. I always assume that libraries only do silence and books. Which is not true nowadays. Although if wishing made it so...

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Also two bad and massively irritating actors who ruined it. But we can ff over them. (John and the girl whatshername)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nigel Terry (John) also overacted massively in Excalibur. But so did everyone else, so it was less noticeable.
Was the doe-eyed girl in Excalibur? Because I don't often want to smack people, but I did want to smack her. Really hard.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Can you really not get it from Amazon? Sorry, I know you must have tried it already, I’m just amazed that it can’t happen. I can see it on there, DVD, blu-ray, and streaming. Is it that the shipping costs make it insane?

(Man, I feel dumb now for how little I know about ordering/shipping to other parts of the world.)

ETA: I super love this movie, too. I have the DVD, though I haven’t watched it in a while. It’s so loaded with awesome lines it’s hard to stick with one. The knives line is so classic though. “Look out, he’s got a knife!” “Of course he’s got a knife, he’s always got a knife, we’ve all got knives!”

Last edited:

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
If the DVD will suffice, it's available to buy (new) on ebay for under $10.

Or it's on the shelf at Dimboola library if you feel like a drive :)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If the DVD will suffice, it's available to buy (new) on ebay for under $10.
I want it NOW! I really want to watch it NOW. Not next week. I'm having the sort of day where I need la Hepburn destroying a King!!

ETA: Will look at ebay so I have it next time I need to destroy a King

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry I started it, :Hug2: but it's helping my writing tonight. :cry:

Blue Bayou
*sigh* So lovely.

ETA: I can't find it, but I have a vague memory - did Ronstadt do a song in a version of Under Milk Wood? I thought I'd find her in the 1988 version (my fave) but she's not there.

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Can you really not get it from Amazon? Sorry, I know you must have tried it already, I’m just amazed that it can’t happen. I can see it on there, DVD, blu-ray, and streaming. Is it that the shipping costs make it insane?”

It's to do with copyright. Copyright is tied to geography. So not only can you not buy some films in some areas, the DVDs or Blue Ray discs have rights management software that tells your DVD what "region" they're meant for.

Some DVD players (particularly in computers) will let you change the region a time or two, but that's it. Every time there's a work-around, they change or add to the way the coding works.

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
A side note: Eleanor and Henry were my wife’s 23rd great-grandparents, through their son John. Whenever that film is on TV, I can’t help but think: “Your granny and grandpa are arguing on TV again.”

Sadly, their wealth dispersed in other directions over the centuries.

As as for the OP’s problem, it seems strange that Amazon can’t figure out how to take a willing customer’s money.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Really can't.

Sorry, that was a dumbassed post. You: "I can't buy this here." Me: "Are you sure?" You: (thinks but doesn't say) *That's what I just said, dumbass*

It's to do with copyright. Copyright is tied to geography. So not only can you not buy some films in some areas, the DVDs or Blue Ray discs have rights management software that tells your DVD what "region" they're meant for.

Some DVD players (particularly in computers) will let you change the region a time or two, but that's it. Every time there's a work-around, they change or add to the way the coding works.

The DVD region thing was what I'd have imagined the problem would be. The copyright thing surprises me on a movie of this age—not that it's still under copyright, but that it hasn't either yet opened or stayed open to Australia. That's probably a much more complex issue than it seems, though.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
A side note: Eleanor and Henry were my wife’s 23rd great-grandparents, through their son John.

So cool! Does that means she's related to Melusine? Unclear if she was a water fairy or a demon (sources differ), but the Plantagenet were quite proud to be descended from her, and blamed much of their bad behavior on that infernal fairy blood.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, that was a dumbassed post. You: "I can't buy this here." Me: "Are you sure?" You: (thinks but doesn't say) *That's what I just said, dumbass*
No, I didn't think that - I thought it was nice that you posted. And I went back and checked because it seemed stupid to me too, and got the Not in your region message.

So mean! I wonder what other stuff they're keeping from us?

Status
Not open for further replies.