Scrivener 3 -- any exciting new tricks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I recently upgraded my MacOS to Mojave, and the system kindly informed me that my trusty Scrivener 2 would no longer be compatible with any future OS upgrades. So it seems that at some point I will be forced to get Scrivener 3 whether I need it or not. Thus it is written.

My question is: does Scrivener 3 do anything cool enough that I should want to upgrade now before I absolutely have to? I'm not a power user by any means, but there are a few things Scrivener already does that have improved my writing life immensely so I'm open to new tricks if they present themselves. (Exception: I'm not looking to create any ebooks in the foreseeable future so features related to that function are not currently of much use to me.)

But if there's anything new in Scrivener 3 that you find particularly exciting or useful in the planning-and-writing stages, I'd love to hear about it.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Lots of small improvements; the Compile feature is much easier to use. Statistics (word count, etc.) is easier and more flexible.

Export to ebook formats is much better. I write non-fiction, so the enhanced bookmarks feature (internal links, links to external files or apps) was really helpful for me. Here's a good discussion of the bookmarks.

Here's the official new feature list for Scrivener 3. This update guide to Scrivener 3 for Scrivener 2 users was helpful.

The upgrade price is $25.00, btw; so there's a price break for people upgrading rather than paying a full price.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The upgrade price is $25.00, btw; so there's a price break for people upgrading rather than paying a full price.

Not, as it turns out, if you bought it via the Apple App Store. :cry: Lesson learned; bought v3 direct from Literature & Latte, at full price. Oh well. Well worth it.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Not, as it turns out, if you bought it via the Apple App Store. :cry: Lesson learned; bought v3 direct from Literature & Latte, at full price. Oh well. Well worth it.

They offered a coupon to users who could provide proof of the Apple store purchase; you should contact Literature and Latte.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They offered a coupon to users who could provide proof of the Apple store purchase; you should contact Literature and Latte.

It was long enough ago that I don't have records of the purchase.

Eh. Much as I like saving money, I don't mind them getting an extra $25 from me this time. Well worth it, to keep this brilliant little bit of software vital. For v4.0, I'll have proof that I bought it from them. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.