Spirit of Entrepreneurship alive and well in America

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Feeling old? Got a spare 8000 bucks?

Apparently this is legal. Apparently people are buying it. No doubt the economic climate provides many willing sellers but I see nothing in this article about how much the donors are paid or how they are vetted.

"[h=2]'THE RESULTS LOOKED REALLY AWESOME'[/h]Nevertheless, Karmazin is optimistic that blood has a range of benefits. He got the idea for his company as a medical student at Stanford and an intern at the National Institute on Aging, where he watched dozens of traditional blood transfusions performed safely.
"Some patients got young blood, and others got older blood, and I was able to do some statistics on it, and the results looked really awesome," Karmazin told Business Insider in 2017. "And I thought this is the kind of therapy that I'd want to be available to me."
So far, no one knows whether young blood transfusions can be reliably linked to lasting benefits."

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Isn't this the plot of at least one horror story?

And wasn't there a countess who used to bathe in the blood of the young to stave off old age IRL - inspiration for at least one vampire character?

Speaking of, isn't this the basic idea behind at least one iteration of vampirism?

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that enough people are falling for this to make it profitable for the business. And I am a little horrified that, on reflection I *don't* find it hard to believe at all.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm... vampirism and belief....

Wondering if Karmazin has a vampire costume ready?

Facetiousness aside, this sounds like a lost hope project. It's not just blood that keeps you 'looking young'; there are other factors, too. I'm skeptical about how this really works and what's in it for the donors?

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It is pretty bizarre that there is no information about where the "young blood" comes from, nor any assurances to potential clients about age of donor or quality on Ambrosia's new website:

https://www.ambrosiaplasma.com/

I guess if you're gullible enough to think this will work, you're not likely to ask those questions.

(Karmazin does sound like a vampire name, at that.)

Barfus

Registered
Reaction score
This reminded me. There is some real research into the weird phenomenon of blood/plasma from a younger individual helping an elderly individual. So I did a little digging and found this article I remembered reading a while back.

https://www.nature.com/news/young-human-blood-makes-old-mice-smarter-1.21848

It does apparently work but this is in mouse models so the effects have to be taken with a grain of salt. And the plasma in this study came from an umbilical cord, it was really young blood. I wouldn't personally pay for have somebody's blood transfused into me to stop aging like this guy is claiming but it could lead to some interesting medicine later on.

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
Eww. Plus how do they screen the donors? I can imagine a lot of young heroin addicts would love to sell their blood.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So far I have not seen any information about donors, either how they are screened or how they are compensated. (Barfus, I believe that is the same research that inspired Karmazin to start his enterprise. It is cited in every article I read about this.)

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's essentially a new take on the (illegal and dangerous) old practice of blood doping. According to Wife, MD who has her Master's in Exercise Physiology, blood doping including this young blood thing, although it works for athletic performance enhancement, because of the antibodies produced it essentially screws the recipient if they need a life-saving transfusion later on. It makes it much harder to find a blood donor match on screening.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Between this, the randomly injecting with whichever other unproven therapy/phage/hormone/synthetic psychoactive is promising to make them live to 130, and the existing on entirely Soylent diets, Silicon Valley is gunna host some interesting new diseases this century.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Between this, the randomly injecting with whichever other unproven therapy/phage/hormone/synthetic psychoactive is promising to make them live to 130, and the existing on entirely Soylent diets, Silicon Valley is gunna host some interesting new diseases this century.

Don't forget about the nootropics and microdosing. Being someone who firmly believes science can turn us into immortal genius godbabies, I...well, I'm happy I don't work in Silicon Valley.

I need to check the sources on this, but didn't Peter Thiel make news a while back for subscribing to this very safe and sane treatment?

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Don't forget about the nootropics and microdosing. Being someone who firmly believes science can turn us into immortal genius godbabies, I...well, I'm happy I don't work in Silicon Valley.

I need to check the sources on this, but didn't Peter Thiel make news a while back for subscribing to this very safe and sane treatment?

Well at least they'll all reach enlightenment before they succumb to cancers previously unknown to medical science. Do you think they'll collectively drop enough acid to realise wealth is an illusion, time is two-way, and all technology must nurture the God Tree?

Thiel: was he the one doing unregulated human growth hormone as well? I think he was getting blood transfusions as well, but I imagine him more the type to hang live, squirming human blood bags above him at breakfast. Like Rupert Murdoch.