SFWA Raising Pro Rate for Short Fiction to Eight Cents per Word

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Lord, they're raising the bar again. We have until Sept of this year to sneak in with six cents. I was a member, and I remember five cents being the threshold. I don't like this at all. That is a nasty increase. When you consider publishers cutting back and trying to economize because of competition, this doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Just my two farthings worth.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Lord, they're raising the bar again. We have until Sept of this year to sneak in with six cents. I was a member, and I remember five cents being the threshold. I don't like this at all. That is a nasty increase. When you consider publishers cutting back and trying to economize because of competition, this doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Just my two farthings worth.

The main response to the previous raise was that places started paying more. Crowdfunding projects often use SFWA's pro rate to set payments for writers, so the previous change meant such projects simply set higher targets. This doesn't harm writers at all... it just means they're paid more, because it turned out a lot of places had the resources to do so all along. They just didn't because they did the bare minimum to be seen as pro.

themindstream

Registered
Reaction score
Does this mean that the notable established publications not yet at that rate will raise their rates, for the most part? I'm new to following 'the markets'.