Is it a "Western" or not?

Jerome Price

Registered
Reaction score
If you've been following my posts then you know I've been writing what I consider a western. It takes place in 1878 near Deadwood Dakota Territory. However the protagonist, his sister, and a couple buddies are all from the twenty-first century, traveling back and forth between the centuries in a time machine. The story centers around modern people dealing with nineteenth century mores and thinking not to mention the violence and lawlessness of the Black Hills. I also examine the reaction of people from that time period traveling to the future and experiencing cars, electricity, modern medicine, and food. The only thing that could be considered science fiction would be the time machine, but perhaps the fact that the characters from the present all use modern firearms in the past might be considered as well. What say ye?

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I appreciate that the setting gives it a Western genre dressing but that strikes me as Science Fiction through and through -- the story can't exist without the time machine. Sounds fun!

-Derek

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree, that's scifi.