Longtime Editor Taking the Author Plunge

RFEinc

Registered
Reaction score
Hi writers! I'm Becca. I've worked as a freelance editor for a dozen years or so, always quite content to be on the editorial side of things. It's only very recently that I've been inspired to take what I've learned and move to the other side of the writing process... which is to say, the writing side. It's thrilling and awful and wonderful. I've spent so long helping other people shape stories, and editing is (and likely always will be) my passion... so it's strange to feel a story taking shape in my mind-heart. I'm trying to follow my own advice, which is some version of "first drafts are about putting sand in the sandbox -- you come back to build the castle later." Bumbling around in the sand is giving me life right now.

Anyway, that's me. Glad to be here!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

RFEinc

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Ari and Denevius! Thanks for the welcome :0)

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Becca. Good luck with your story!

halion

Registered
Reaction score
All the best. I wonder if you have a leg up on many new writers since you can see thinks from an 'editor's eye' as it were.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Good to have you here, RF!! lord, it's hard switching hats, huh? But it's a great a lesson: you learn firsthand how to a handle an author the right way because you're now that author. But it's yin and yang emotionally: a lot of emotion on the writing side because you're on the frontline of everything, including author signings with readers etc, yet there's more safety as an editor as you work snugly in your cave, away from all that turmoil, sole focus on author and script.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:, RFE. Great intro of 'nother edit person who writes. I hope you like it here.