Greetings all!

Jerome Price

Registered
Reaction score
I have a hunch I'm going to be spending a lot of time on this particular forum as punctuation and syntax are admittedly my weak points. However grammar is another interest of mine. A couple of the stories I'm writing involve living in the nineteenth century so I'm very conscious of the way people actually spoke back then. I've read a lot of stories on the Fan Fiction and Fiction Press sites involving the past, and I find that many people ruin their stories by using too much modern slang or improper word usage.
Believe me it's tough, and I'll be the first to admit I'm not perfect, but I make an effort to have people speaking correctly. I also happen to have a book published in 1876 or 77 that covers every aspect of social behavior and manners. It's a real window into the Victorian age and how people were supposed to conduct themselves.

Anyway, a lot of otherwise good stories are ruined in my opinion by the story characters living in medieval times or say the nineteenth century talking like kids in 2019. Anyone else care to add?

LSamDee

Registered
Reaction score
Unless the author is intentionally mixing old/modern speech for whatever artistic reason, it throws me out of the story. Immersion lost. If I'm reading a period piece, that's where I want to stay.