Fresh fish!

Simian

Registered
Reaction score
Well howdy, Y'all.

I must admit to a sense of trepidation registering for this forum. It's somewhat of a statement of intent on my part. To finally attempt to purge that novel from the darker recesses of my brain.
In case it isn't obvious, I have never been published, nor submitted anything, anywhere. In fact, I doubt I have even shared my scribblings with anyone before.
So be gentle, even the act of writing this introduction has my anxiety all the way up to eleven.

I’ve written little but read a lot. My first novel was Lord of the Rings when I was five years old but I have yet to finish the Silmarillion. I read mostly Science Fiction and switch to Fantasy when I tire of dystopias (or zombies).
I try to read at least one “classic” a year.

When not at work I like to paint, sculpt and shoot arrows at things. I would like to play more sports but my knees refuse. Note to younglings. Treat your knees well, they have more power over you than you think.

I’m currently working on writing something a little Lovecraftian, with a dollop of mythology from the Auld Country. It’s all in there, I just need some help getting it out.

It's a pleasure to meet you all.

Simian

Registered
Reaction score
Non-youngling but actual writer! Hi to you too.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

WilkinsonMJ

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome aboard! Reading the links posted above will help you get reoriented, but at the end of the day you are the one who must put the words to page.

Also, the world can never have too many little lumps of Lovecraft haha

Welcome again, and best of luck with your writing endeavours

Kiteya

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! It's great to meet another Lord of the Rings fan. Those books are incredible! I also haven't finished the Silmarillion yet. Good luck with your writing!

pseudowriter

Registered
Reaction score
American by birth, Scottish by Association
Website
www.armarnaforbes.com
I’m currently working on writing something a little Lovecraftian, with a dollop of mythology from the Auld Country. It’s all in there, I just need some help getting it out.

Interest: Piqued. :)

More than happy to help where I can. Started off with adult horror stories and have moved on to Urban Fantasy/Young Adult/Weird West/Historical... things. Anyway, hit me up if you want a second opinion. :)

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Simian. I was nervous too when I first joined. I'm impressed that you read LOTR when you were five! (And I also never got through Silmarillion. )

Simian

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all for the welcome. It IS a daunting forum, but that's a good thing. So busy with work right now I find I have no time to write (I know I should make time) but I keep putting little snippets of dialogue and scene setting in my phone notes. Always funny to go back and read them later (I admit it, the note frequency is often related to "wine consumed") some are great, others are like the scribblings of a madman. Sometimes those are great too. :)

HD Simplicityy

Registered
Reaction score
Please to see another Middle Earth fan. I recently finished The Two Towers. Took me well over a year - between required school texts and other books - to get through. Not yet read The Sillmarillion, but my dad has. I hear its really complex but very much epic.