[Resolved] AW Site Unsafe or Insecure Warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I did try Safari because it's already installed. It didn't work. I used to use Firefox. It's too early in the morning for decisions. I'll do something this weekend.

Thanks for all the work arounds.

MaeZe I can absolutely help with Safari on macOS.

PM me with what version of Mac OS you're running and I'll help.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I just installed Firefox. It took less than a minute (you can go back and do your set-ups later). Got the cert error, chose to make AW an exception right there. Dang! I think I'm going to love Firefox.

I've been using Firefox steadily for just over 4 hours and I gotta say it's faster than Chrome too. That's a pretty big deal for someone who spends as much time online as I do. I'd think it'd be an even bigger deal for someone whose online time is more limited than mine. Yep, I'm liking it. Thanks, Lisa.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
The funny thing is I left Firefox for Chrome for the same reason several are mentioning switching back now :)

Privacy, security, and control were the big three...

After updating FF and checking it out, this is actually a LOT easier! May be a re-convert again myself now LOL

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
It's been baby steps for me; I left IE for Chrome—even though Lisa recommended that I check out Firefox too, which I didn't do—now to Firefox after all. Sometimes it takes me a while to figure out what's best for me.

Firefox doesn't support two plugins I use, but that's okay. I use them so seldom that Chrome'll work for those.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
So the temporary fix for now is to use Firefox. But the root problem regarding GoDaddy updating the certificate is still present. So I’d suggest to follow/monitor this thread until we get word that the new certificate is in place. Remember, what we are doing now is a workaround. The source problem is not solved yet!

Once we get word of that, my recommendation is to restore your browser security. It’s there for a reason...

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
So the temporary fix for now is to use Firefox. But the root problem regarding GoDaddy updating the certificate is still present. So I’d suggest to follow/monitor this thread until we get word that the new certificate is in place. Remember, what we are doing now is a workaround. The source problem is not solved yet!

Once we get word of that, my recommendation is to restore your browser security. It’s there for a reason...

My switchover to Firefox is permanent not only because of the Windows/Chrome interconnectivity but also because this sucker (Firefox) is using less RAM. Yeah, I like that.

I'm very protective about my personal data and I take browser security very seriously and I do recommend restoring your browser security—it's a good and safe practice. That being said, AW does not collect personal data nor are transactions processed here so those very important data elements are not at risk here. Iow, it's not just that I trust AW (and I do, immensely) but I have the added assurance of knowing there never was any risk whatsoever in making it a temporary exception in this matter. just sayin'

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
MaeZe I can absolutely help with Safari on macOS.

PM me with what version of Mac OS you're running and I'll help.

Thanks, Lisa. Much appreciated. But I don't plan to switch back to Safari, it's just that I tried it because it's still on my computer.

I'm using OS X version 10.9.5 and Chrome.

I'm just going to keep triple clicking each page change until the weekend and then I'll probably install Firefox.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I got the message, but I was asked if I want to make an exception for this site. As has already been pointed out, the site is secure, and it doesn't collect personal data or handle transactions anyway. So far FF is letting me log in without getting the error message again. I tend to prefer FF to Chrome anyway. It seems to run more quickly, though now and again I run across a site that needs Chrome to run. I hate that there is no menu bar available to access controls quickly in Chrome without poking around for them also (I am a very visual person, and when functions are buried, I always forget where they are).

Last edited:

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
I hope you guys can crack this soon. I don’t know how I got through on my phone but my computer browsers are still unable to connect.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
I finally noticed this thread is still going. I use Firefox and hadn’t had any ongoing problems. So another endorsement here for Firefox.

(Another bonus of Firefox is its simple code validation when you view the page source code, which is a feature I use to grade pages in my HTML/CSS classes. But that’s a pretty specialized bonus that most people won’t need.)

Changing your password all the time isn’t shown to be more secure, btw. It can actually create more risks if people use weaker passwords so they can remember them better.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried Firefox?
I tried Firefox :e2flowers

TaylorHarbin - there should be a little message on the warning page when you try to enter AW via Firefox - it gives you the option to bypass the security. If you were clicking too quickly, headdesking or screaming at the internet goblin, you might have scared it away. I scared it away quite a few times.

ETA: It's very important never to let the internet goblin see your tears. (My son taught me that when he was 14. It's served me well.)

Last edited:

JakeSTamer

Registered
Reaction score
Just switched to Firefox, and did the instructions for it. Now the site works normal. thank you.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Fwiw, that took me to the same error page I get every time I come here.

Yes.

You need to be on the error page and using Firefox
Then you click the Advanced button to tell Firefox to trust AW.

PamelaC

Registered
Reaction score
So, just an update from where I sit. Still using Chrome on a Chromebook, and when I initially tried to come here I got the scary red warning screen, clicked to come here anyway, and now it seems I can at least move around within the site without getting booted back to the warning screen every time. At least so far. We'll see what happens when I post this.

I've changed nothing and done nothing at all to deal with the issue, so maybe this means things are getting straightened out?

ETA: Yep. All good. Still has the scary "Not secure" red message in the url up there, but I can post and move around the board pretty easily it seems.

Last edited:

konstantineblacke

Registered
Reaction score
I had to put into my settings on my computer that AW was a 'trusted site' Hopefully all fixed now. But the site is running slow...

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Board is doing funny stuff now. First, in Chrome I kept getting an index-like page without the normal screen. That worked for while then I started getting the can't connect message. I waited thinking maybe some work was being done. After a while I went to Lisa's Twitter and decided to use Safari.

In Safari after getting various pages instead of the 'new posts' page I was still navigating along when the pop-up screen came up twice saying did I care about the security issue. I hit 'continue' and I found myself at a different site. Now here I am back on the AW site. Sorry I didn't write the address down I was in a hurry to get off it not knowing what it was. If it happens again I'll at least get the beginning of the address.

So it popped up again and I see it is telling me it can't verify: tags. bluekai. com (without the spaces)

So it wasn't even asking me to override the security of AW. I hit cancel and this site continues to work fine.

Guess I should slow down. The warning message says AW might be the pretender and not the site: 'tags. bluekai. com' (without the spaces)

It's so frickin' weird.

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Also getting a glitchy page, like stripped of format mostly, on Chrome and on IE. Dunno if this will post....

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Also getting a glitchy page, like stripped of format mostly, on Chrome and on IE. Dunno if this will post....

That's what I had all day, and even weirder, it went in and out of the normal format on some pages, then fewer pages then finally just the stripped format page. Then I couldn't connect to the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.