Hi everyone!

SavoryLetter

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm an amateur writer and found this forum while looking for resources to improve my writing. I have been writing down story ideas and writing some notes and drafts for a long time, but have never written anything (non-work related) for publication. I want to take up writing as a more serious hobby and hopefully turn some of my ideas into full novels. With a full time job and a young family, I don't have a lot of time for writing, so I am trying to become more efficient in using the time that I do have and to add more structure to my work.

I have always been a big reader (my mother is a librarian), which is what got me into writing in the first place. In college and grad school I studied physics and computer science, and writing was a way for me to break out of the mold and do something that didn't involve numbers or code. Today, I work in healthcare in IT. Outside of work, I like to read, spend time with my family, work in the yard, and, when I have some free time, write.

As you might have guessed from my background, I like to read and write science fiction, but I am also interested in politics and social interactions. I try to alternate between reading classics, science fiction, and non-fiction, with other stuff thrown in if I find something interesting. I'm currently reading Seveneves by Neil Stephenson, which I came across while walking around at my local library.

Anyway, I am excited to be on here, and look forward to contributing and learning from everyone else on here :)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Salutations, welcome aboard

Kiteya

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW! It's so great to have you! Science fiction is a great genre. So glad to meet another fan!

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, SavoryLetter.

pseudowriter

Registered
Reaction score
American by birth, Scottish by Association
Website
www.armarnaforbes.com
I'm currently reading Seveneves by Neil Stephenson, which I came across while walking around at my local library.

Anyway, I am excited to be on here, and look forward to contributing and learning from everyone else on here :)

Lol, this is weird - had a friend just send me a link to Seveneves the other day to read (I don't typically read SciFi, but was debating grabbing it).

Anyway! Welcome to the club from another noob. :)