Running List of Declared 2020 Democratic Presidential Candidates

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Help me, help me. I hear Bloomberg is a DINO. I hear he'll make a terrible POTUS. I try not to believe his commercials.

But darn it, I like him when I hear him in interviews. Not everything. I'm not sure he has much empathy for immigrants crossing the southern border. That's important to me.

I'm listening to a rerun of his interview on Firing Line with Margaret Hoover with on PBS, Sept 25th before he declared his candidacy.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/firing-line/video/michael-bloomberg-jw87c2/

I don't think there's any way he'd lose to Trump.

So help me out, what do I not know about him that I should? I'm not a New Yorker.

He's a billionaire, which means he lacks human empathy. So that's a no for me.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can we please not elect another ultra-wealthy (giving Tmurp the benefit if the doubt) old white guy? I mean, I’m an old white guy, and even I’m tired of it.

That said, Any Sane Adult 2020.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Stop and Frisk disqualifies Bloomberg for me, but if that (and other disqualifying stuff) didn't, this, from 2011, would:

Bloomberg says suit to add handicapped-accessible cabs unfair to 'average' riders, wastes gas, money

Bloomberg was sounding off on a civil suit filed last week by Manhattan U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara's office, which claims the city isn't close to complying with the Americans With Disabilities Act.

The mayor maintained the Justice Department is off base.

"It just doesn't work in a city like ours, and I don't know that the [U.S. attorney's office] understands how people live in the city and the traffic patterns and that sort of thing," he said of street hails by wheelchair users.

Champions of the handicapped immediately ripped Bloomberg's "insulting" riff.

His comments were terribly off-base and ableist. The suit was filed because of non-compliance. If he had done his job, there wouldn't have had to be one. The GOP is always introducing bills that would guy the ADA and make life harder for people with disabilities; it's constant from them. The Democrats don't, and vote against those bills (and it was President Obama's Justice Department that filed the suit on behalf of people with disabilities). The Democratic nominee shouldn't be someone who acts like a Republican too much of them time.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
The GOP is always introducing bills that would guy the ADA and make life harder for people with disabilities; it's constant from them. The Democrats don't, and vote against those bills (and it was President Obama's Justice Department that filed the suit on behalf of people with disabilities). The Democratic nominee shouldn't be someone who acts like a Republican too much of them time.

Completely agree. And as others have said, the whole stop and frisk thing is beyond disturbing. We aren't going to win this election by nominating someone who has shat upon people within the core demographics of the Democratic party.

We have a ton of candidates to choose from. No matter how many, none will be perfect, but we can do better than Bloomberg.

Last edited:

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Kamala Harris is dropping out.

The media bias against Sen. Harris, and the erasure, was too great a hurdle. She was my top choice and we would have been lucky to have her. For me, a field of only white Democratic candidates in 2019 is hugely problematic. I know Deval Patrick is still in, but not getting any support. And neither is Booker, yada yada. I wasn't pleased that Patrick got in, but am really sick of white privilege giving some candidates a boost. Castro and Harris were the most qualified in the race, imo, and boy, do we need someone with a civil rights history, which is lacking in the front-runners (yes, I know Bernie marched once before skedaddling back to white-white-white Vermont, and talked a good game but did far less than he claims).

Sestak and Bullock, both of whom I'd forgotten, dropped out, too. No loss there.

Last edited:

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
:cry:

She was my top choice, and she was unfairly maligned. I'm soothing myself by dreaming of her taking over the wreckage of the DoJ and driving Barr off with a bullwhip. I do not want to see her second in command to effing Joe Biden (as so many seem to be hoping for). Probably has something to do with how much I *don't* want Joe Biden, but if she's not going to be in high, important office, she's a bulldog of a Senator and we're going to need all of those, and more.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Thus goes my investment in this primary beyond showing up next November. On the plus side, I can finally get off Twitter. Little surprised, I had expected she was going to at least hang in till South Carolina. And wasn't Newsom just flying to Iowa to stump for her?

Guess it's down to Biden, who I kinda hate but might win, or Warren, who I like but don't always have confidence in. Hell primary.

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Sestak and Bullock, both of whom I'd forgotten, dropped out, too. No loss there.

I liked Bullock too, TBH. Thus continues to trend of everyone I like dropping out and everyone who gives me hives sticking in (I liked Gillibrand, btw, since I'm now 100% over this election I'll admit that unpopular opinion).

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kamala Harris is giving it up.

Sen. Kamala Harris is ending her presidential bid, bringing to a close her historic effort to secure the Democratic nomination.

"I’ve taken stock and looked at this from every angle, and over the last few days have come to one of the hardest decisions of my life. My campaign for president simply doesn’t have the financial resources we need to continue," she wrote in a letter to supporters. "I’m not a billionaire. I can’t fund my own campaign. And as the campaign has gone on, it’s become harder and harder to raise the money we need to compete. In good faith, I can’t tell you, my supporters and volunteers, that I have a path forward if I don’t believe I do. So, to you my supporters, it is with deep regret — but also with deep gratitude — that I am suspending my campaign today."

A video is coming shortly from the campaign.

The announcement comes after her campaign drastically cut her staff in October, funneling most of her campaign’s resources toward working on a strong victory in Iowa and leaving other early voting states such as New Hampshire and South Carolina with minimal staffing and funding.

“I’m moving to Iowa,” the senator joked at rallies, as she vowed to campaign in the state each week.

Still she plateaued in the polls in the single digits.

I'm not surprised by this announcement. Harris was never able to build on the momentum she got from calling out Joe Biden, but as the race continues, the Whiter and more White male it becomes.

That's not a good thing, Dems. Harris will immediately become vice-presidential material, but I still would have preferred to see her on the top of the ticket and particularly with these lifeless, colorless, duller than dishwasher Democratic men.

Oh well... :Shrug:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
That's not a good thing, Dems. Harris will immediately become vice-presidential material, but I still would have preferred to see her on the top of the ticket and particularly with these lifeless, colorless, duller than dishwasher Democratic men.

I'd kinda rather Harris stay in the Senate, tbh, Joe's been such a pud to her and she doesn't her name attached to his administration. Warren/Harris I can deal with.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I'd kinda rather Harris stay in the Senate, tbh, Joe's been such a pud to her and she doesn't her name attached to his administration. Warren/Harris I can deal with.

I'm kinda hoping for Warren / Harris. I think they'd balance each other.

But this is a race for white male millionaires/billionaires. I'm trying not to despair. But it's hard.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com

But this is a race for white male millionaires/billionaires. I'm trying not to despair. But it's hard.

Yeah, it sure seems that way, and it seems like there are still Americans who can't get past all the negative stereotypes that get thrown at strong, articulate women. And even after Obama, it seems we haven't gotten past dismissing and ignoring candidates of color. I'm surprised Booker hasn't gotten more support either.

I'm sad Harris's campaign never got traction (after that brief surge after debate #1). I think she could be a good POTUS. At least we get to keep her as a Senator here in CA. She's younger than many of the other candidates, so maybe she can run again in the future (though please, not in 2024, because I am really hoping we'll have a Democratic incumbent running for re-election then).

Last edited:

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Joe Biden, Bernie Sanders, Pete Buttigeig, Elizabeth Warren---or whom the fuck ever is the Democratic nominee is---has to---REPEAT---has to put a person of color on the ticket. Julian Castro. Kamala Harris. Stacey Abrams. I don't really care whom, but the fatal flaw in the Hillary Clinton campaign was picking a nice, safe, boring-ass White guy like Tim Kaine. The air in her balloon wheezed out and died when she did that dumb shit.

Biden and company make the same mistake and there is no chance--none---there won't be a second term for Trump and the oncoming of a 6-3, 7-2 Supreme Court for the rest of our fucking lives. Repeat Hillary's mistake and next November you'll get me and my wife to show up and hold our noses, but you won't get my daughter and my son. That, I can guarantee.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I mean, if Joe wants it and Harris agrees, it's probably his safest option (And ours, really). Same for Warren, I'd just have less of a bad taste in my mouth. I'm not sure I trust Joe's pledge to pick a person of color as VP tho, especially if Pete keeps hanging around.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I've wanted the Warren/Harris ticket from the beginning.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
UGH! KJB, you made me throw up in my mouth with Biden/Buttegieg. :dire:

We haven't even had so much as ONE woman on the winning Presidential ticket, even as VP. I don't see a two-woman ticket doing anything but antagonizing the overly abundant patriarchal voters of this country.

Biden and company make the same mistake and there is no chance--none---there won't be a second term for Trump and the oncoming of a 6-3, 7-2 Supreme Court for the rest of our fucking lives. Repeat Hillary's mistake and next November you'll get me and my wife to show up and hold our noses, but you won't get my daughter and my son. That, I can guarantee.

My (pasty-white) sons are starting on the "I'm leaning toward sitting out because what's the point" train, again. I won't stop haranguing them, but DAMN, the Democrats have learned nothing. Nothing.

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
I would be happier with Harris still in the race and a few more of these white dudes dropping out. I think a Warren/Harris ticket would be dangerous, with the amount of misogyny still in this country. I’d hold my nose and vote for a Biden/Harris or a Buttigieg/Harris if I must. It seems unlikely that I should fear a Biden/Harris ticket, though. Harris would be a good VP pick for some of the candidates who are left.

Last edited:

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
I've wanted the Warren/Harris ticket from the beginning.

It's still early, but Warren's might be done. A month or so ago she was over 25% in the RCP national average. Now she's around 14%. The drop began right after she provided details for her Medicare For All plan. I don't know how she regains her earlier momentum.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's still early, but Warren's might be done. A month or so ago she was over 25% in the RCP national average. Now she's around 14%. The drop began right after she provided details for her Medicare For All plan. I don't know how she regains her earlier momentum.

No offense but do you just wait until you see a poll you like and proclaim that one is the one?

The polls are still all over the place. Numbers are up and down for all the candidates. Biden stays a little ahead but he's far far far from a majority. That says the total 'not Biden' poll swamps his numbers.

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
No offense but do you just wait until you see a poll you like and proclaim that one is the one?

The polls are still all over the place. Numbers are up and down for all the candidates. Biden stays a little ahead but he's far far far from a majority. That says the total 'not Biden' poll swamps his numbers.
Sorry, I forgot to include a link. The Real Clear Politics results are an average of a number of polls, not just one. They also include a chart showing past results.
Warren's averages have been trending down over the past month or so.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/e..._democratic_presidential_nomination-6730.html

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Good lord I'm getting bombed by Steyer mailers, on top of emails and campaign texts. Seem to recall a staffer of his stealing Kamala's voter data not too long ago, for South Carolina, mind you, so probably not why I'm getting so inudated, but I'm really not feeling it right now.

In other news, those Bloomberg ads are running on Youtube every five seconds and you can't skip them.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
*slap in the face*

Ouch.

Hillary Clinton absolutely destroyed Bernie Sanders in her Howard Stern interview
https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/05/politics/hillary-clinton-bernie-sanders-howard-stern/index.html

Let's remember what Clinton said again: "And I hope he doesn't do it again to whoever gets the nomination. Once is enough."

Implied -- and not in very subtly -- in that comment is that Sanders isn't going to be the Democratic nominee in 2020. Which is a somewhat bold prediction -- given that Sanders is second in national polling and among the top four in Iowa, New Hampshire and beyond. To be clear: Sanders isn't the current frontrunner -- that's former vice president Joe Biden still -- but he's absolutely in the mix, making Clinton's seeming certainty that he won't be the nominee newsworthy.

Then there's the warning to Sanders that when he does lose again (as Clinton is sure he will), that he had better not repeat the slow-walk endorsement he gave her because he already cost the party a chance at beating Trump once. Which is heavy stuff!

-cb

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
I think that’s pretty rich, and fails to take into account how pissed some of us who voted for Sanders in the primary but wouldn’t consider ourselves Bernie Bros were that Donna Brazile slipped her debate questions.

I held my nose and voted for Clinton in the general, for all the good it did me.