Weather related aches in young people possible?

Deepthought

Think hard, often
Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I know someone old who gets aches during the cold because her muscles had not healed properly from repeated injury when she was young. I wondered if a similar phenomenon could occur to someone while they were still young- eg a slave being whipped relatively often would have probably received some degree of muscular damage. At what age/time elapsed would the symptoms begin to manifest? I can't ask the lady, as it is a quite personal thing.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
How young is young? :)

Weather-related aches and pains seem to be more a function of joint/connective tissue damage, either from injury or from chronic disease like arthritis...and not everyone gets them even if they do have a history of damage. I injured my elbow a few years ago and had to have physical therapy for it, and was appalled at the number of middle- and high school-aged kids also getting PT for sports-related injuries. I'll bet a lot of those kids will be feeling those injuries again in their later thirties, especially if they re-injure themselves, but I don't know. It's a good question to ask a physical therapist if you happen to know one. Or a professional sports player, maybe.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
At age 20, I had an ear infection and for years afterward my ear would hurt when it got cold/dry cold or really dusty.

I would totally believe a young character who had some sort of injury or connective tissue or joint disease that acted up during certain weather conditions. Not a stretch for me at all.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I think you've got some stuff confused.

Whipping causes soft tissue damage, generally.

That weather thing, afaik, and not a dr. so take with salt, is felt in, as Marisa says, joints, and also, in some people I've known, bones that have been fractured. That stuff can happen at any age, so yeah, but...

WilkinsonMJ

Registered
Reaction score
As cornflake said, generally it's with joints and fractures so not sure if whipping damage would do it unless they fractured ribs on the back (I'm not sure if this is possible). I broke one of the bones in my hand and never got it fixed properly so it aches when it's too dry or cold and I was ~20 at the time. If there's anyone with medical experience you know, it might be worth asking. Alternately the website Quora is really good for these kinds of questions IMO

EvilPenguin

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with some of the others that it is more about joint issues that cause pain and aches in certain weathers than muscle damage.

I'm 27 and I've had pretty bad TMJ for the past 3 years. When it gets cold outside, my jaw tends to hurt a lot worse than when it's warm.

So, it's definitely possible for someone younger to feel weather related pains, but it also depends on the type of injury that causes it.

owlion

Absorbing inspiration from the moon
Registered
Reaction score
If the injuries went down to the muscle - or the scarring was very knotted - it could cause nerve/muscle pain which might be exacerbated by hot or cold weather. I couldn't give an exact time-frame for when the weather-related pain would start, but it would be more noticeable likely once the injuries were fully healed (otherwise they'd have constant pain from the injuries themselves).

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
It can. I'm in college and my lupus is worse when its cold out.

Deepthought

Think hard, often
Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I see, thank you. It'd be an injury beginning from around 12 that would manifest in late teens or so.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I see, thank you. It'd be an injury beginning from around 12 that would manifest in late teens or so.
Manifest for the first time? That's trickier. I had a bad back injury (deep cut) which settled itself for a few years into an ache when the temperature dropped - as Owlion said.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Injured at 12, with the damage showing up a few years later? Sounds more like a change in his circumstances. What work was he doing at 12? I imagine a 12 year old boy could do quite a bit, although, judging by the beatings, not enough, or not well. But, when he's an older teenager, and set to adult work and adult workloads, I could see the old injuries flaring up.
What work is he doing when he's older? If not sure, pick something involving his back, or wherever he was most commonly whipped.

Deepthought

Think hard, often
Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Nothing to do with slavery or work, although some parallels. And there would be various types of injuries as well, so that could make the character confused as to how it originated as well as giving credence and leeway. I wonder if flexibility is affected by whipping? I can see that there could be some longer term muscular effect.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sprained my ankle at 13, could tell when pressure was changing and weather would get worse. Friend had a bad car accident when he was 11, he could feel serious joint pain when preesure dropped.

Jeff

owlion

Absorbing inspiration from the moon
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing to do with slavery or work, although some parallels. And there would be various types of injuries as well, so that could make the character confused as to how it originated as well as giving credence and leeway. I wonder if flexibility is affected by whipping? I can see that there could be some longer term muscular effect.
Flexibility would likely be affected if it went into the muscle layer. Damage to muscle can cause things like knotting, which could make it difficult to bend if the damaged tissue is on his back or something (it could even happen purely from getting a very deep, knotted scar which made the skin less able to stretch enough).

I saw you said it would manifest much later on. How long, roughly? 5 years? As far as I'm aware, once the injury heals, the effects should probably show up shortly after, rather than suddenly manifesting years later (unless something triggered it). I'm not an expert at all though.