• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Where's the fairy plotmother at?

SciSarahTops

late cretaceous
Registered
Reaction score
Reading about writing... less of the actual writin
Need her help to fix stuff...

So how do you guys rework/scramble/patch-up/pimp your plotlines when she's no-where to be found?
In need of inspiration... tell me about your methods...

cdd331d6c04c622cfd0feec2d0b36294--booth-ideas-the-very.jpg

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
My method is to copy the chapter(s) that need overhauling into a new document. Magically, I don't mind ripping it apart and patching it back the way it needs to be, if it is in a new document separate from the saved full manuscript.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
So, I'm a newbie, so you can take this for what it's worth - which is precious little. When I've felt that the plot of my current (and first) novel wasn't sharp enough, there have been three avenues of thought that have both been really productive for me and have led to great improvements in the story.

The first is to up the stakes. Look for ways to set things up so that your character has more to lose. For instance, I went from a character risking damage to a cushy life in her wealthy parents' home to instead risking damage to a job she likes and needs, damage to her family's generations-old reputation, and the alienation of her entire circle of friends (this is more of an essential social lifeline than it might sound; it's 1951, and she's gay).

Next, try to make sure that all the bad things that happen are a direct consequence of an action (or, less strong but sometimes okay, a decision not to act) on the part of a main character. For instance, I had my character's friends turning on her, blaming her for something that she didn't actually do. But this part of the book was limping along, and was a little boring. So I thought about it a lot, and eventually set it up so that she actually does do the thing she gets blamed for, albeit not on purpose; in fact, it happens when her attempt to prevent it from happening backfires.

Finally, look at your minor characters and see if you can combine them in a way that tightens up your story and ups the stakes. I found several exciting ways to do this in my novel. For instance, I rolled the man who wants to marry my main character (whom she does not want to marry) and her boss (a McCarthyite crusader pressuring her to snoop on her colleagues) into one character. It ups the stakes, creates a stronger and more central antagonist, and lends historical flavor (yay casual sexual harassment) all in one stroke.

I hope some of this is useful - like I said, I'm still learning how to do this myself.

:e2coffee:

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I think I misunderstood your question, Sci Sarah.

Yeah, what Lakey said. :)

Also, ask yourself what is 'the most extreme' thing a character can do? This is something Maass recommends in "Emotional craft." For example, lets say two characters are arguing, and you think it's tense, because... they're arguing, ... how can you make that more extreme?

One character could pick up a chair and throw it through a window. One could slug the other. One could grab a gun from (somewhere) and shoot it into the ceiling.

I thought this was a strange recommendation from Maass, but when I added furniture-throwing to an argument, bizarrely, it helped. Hehehe. And now when I read books that I've read a thousand times before and I get to a part where a character is throwing a chair across a room, I go, "Oh."

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to say that I love the term 'fairy plotmother'. It sounds so much more purposeful than 'plot bunny', just randomly hopping around.

SciSarahTops

late cretaceous
Registered
Reaction score
Reading about writing... less of the actual writin
I hope some of this is useful - like I said, I'm still learning how to do this myself.

Ex-treme-ely useful. I had already thought about character merging so I'm really excited to hear this works. Upping the stakes, yes, I will try and find places to do this. I worry about amping stuff up too much but I can try and be clever about it. I also love the idea of consequences.

Patty, I do like the chapter shredding advice thank you. I have a chair kicking scene so this made me laugh. I'm worried about out of character actions (my protag is one of those rare mild mannered ones - particuarly at the begining) but you're right. Probably more is more.

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
For me, it’s asking lots of questions. Picture a toddler going around asking “Why? Why? What’s that? But why?”, with a lot of “what if...” and “what else” thrown in. I tend to find myself getting stuck on the ‘expected’ option in plot scenarios, so digging around to find other possibilities usually helps.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
For me, it’s asking lots of questions. Picture a toddler going around asking “Why? Why? What’s that? But why?”, with a lot of “what if...” and “what else” thrown in. I tend to find myself getting stuck on the ‘expected’ option in plot scenarios, so digging around to find other possibilities usually helps.

Oh this is a great suggestion too. Some of the biggest leaps forward in my own plotting have come from asking "but what if...?" about even basic premises that I had built on thus far.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Ditto. Have them do the opposite of what they are currently doing. He wants to kiss her, but instead he yells (or vice versa). She is going to be obedient, but instead does the exact thing she is not supposed to.

Tocotin

deceives
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I love the phrase "fairy plotmother"!

One of the cheapest tricks is to make people related in surprising ways. These two lovers are in fact twins, separated at birth. The guy whom the MC has just killed is in fact the father of his bride-to-be. This needs to be done very sparingly and carefully, but when done right, it can surprise the readers, help with dangling plot ends, and generally inject some blood into the story. The less-dramatic thing to consider is that all your characters – not only the main ones – have their own families, friends, circles of acquaintances etc., and that they all have their own agendas which can and will interfere with whatever the main characters are doing.

Another thing is that the setting matters. The story doesn't happen in a vacuum, it's always set somewhere. It's good to sit back sometimes and try to imagine the whole picture: the seasons, the weather, the local customs, holidays, festivals. Where are the characters? How does the setting affect them? Do they simply go from point A to point B, or are they bumping into obstacles C, D, E on their way? A sudden snowstorm, or a Mayday demonstration which is blocking two streets, or a pickpocket working the Sunday crowd can change the whole story.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to say that I love the term 'fairy plotmother'. It sounds so much more purposeful than 'plot bunny', just randomly hopping around.
I love SciSarahTops myself.

But I digress. I go walking in the woods behind my house and join my story in progress. It works for me.

Atlantic12

Registered
Reaction score
I love that corkboard in the original post!!!! I want one!!!

In fact, I just bought a foldable white board so that the crime photos won't scare the kiddies.

You have lots of great advice already. As someone with pretty intricate plotlines (and lots of headaches), I've had to be reminded to never, ever, lose sight of the central throughline. What is the direct plotline that matters throughout the whole book? What set of events matters the most to the main characters? Depending on your type of book, your external plotline and internal character arc will fight for pride of place. When one has a slight resolution moment, let the other heat up, and vice versa. I've also had combine characters, cut whole characters and subplots, and -- my tip -- narrow down the number of new scene settings. List the setting of each of your scenes. If your characters are constantly somewhere new (causing you to have to describe new places), maybe you could set certain scenes in fewer, but more powerful, memorable locations. Sometimes this alone helps sharpen and simplify a plotline that has become too complex.

Good luck! I'll be calling to the fairy plotmother myself very soon for my next book, so save some magic for the rest of us!