• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Publish Your Purpose Press

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I recently encountered a press tailored to first-time authors writing memoirs and inspirational books, called Publish Your Purpose Press. http://publishyourpurposepress.com/

I'd be interested in anyone's experience with them.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Having a look around their website, it seems to be aimed at helping authors self-publish on Amazon.

The home page offers two paths: a "Join the Writer's Academy" link and a "Publish with Us" link.

The Writer's Academy is a $2000, 14-week set of sessions with live call-in Q&As that, according to the curriculum, takes the writer through the process from planning content, to personal branding, to cover design, to book launch.

The "Publish with Us" page provides little information. It shows a graphic with several steps in the process, several of which note things like "Work with your author coach," "Work with your marketing strategist," etc.

On several pages of the website, you can download the free booklet "Getting Started for Authors Blueprint." This book is indeed free, and provides link to about 90 minutes worth of videos on each topic. The bulk of the booklet is about the writing process, with very little about marketing and promotion (mostly about building your platform), and nothing at all about the publication process. There are a couple typos in the book, and questionable/non-professional-sounding word choice.

Folks, my radar is pinging on this for all the wrong reasons:

1. A pricey curriculum. I have absolutely no objection to authors spending money to educate themselves in this business, particularly if they are going to invest in self-publishing. However, the website seems just a bit too leading toward using PYP as the publisher.

2. A publisher that, based on their curriculum and statements in the Author Testimonies, gets people published through Amazon, which authors don't need an outfit like this for.

3. A publisher that puts all marketing, promotion, and publicity on the author. If PYP were billed upfront as an education service for self-publishing authors, I would be more favorable toward it.

4. A website aimed at authors rather than readers (it's not easy to find the link to the author bookstore, and their bookstore doesn't have links to the ebooks, which are easily found on Amazon). Some of the titles in their bookstore are listed as published by Purpose Driven Publishing, so apparently PYP might be a re-named existing publisher (no link here on AW for Purpose Drive Publishing).

5. A free author guide that covers things most aspiring writers already know, and little information on the things they might be willing to pay a professional to do for them.

6. Misleading information on the website and resources documents that makes publishing seem like a hopeless complicated situation. "We know that you are going to come across services that will charge you $500 to publish your book or $50,000 to publish your book" [True, but these are for vanity and subsidy presses, not self-publishing or trade publishing]. Or "On one website you’ll see to expect to pay $5 for a book cover and on another website you’ll see $5,000.These ranges can be utterly overwhelming and stop a new author dead in their tracks from proceeding forward." [Copied and pasted from their booklet; typos in the original]

7. A "Book Cost Blueprint" that seems somewhat comprehensive (cover design, editing, marketing, etc.), but that presents ranges of costs for each service, with a "Recommended" cost, complete with a link to service providers PYP would be happy to connect you to (rather than giving you tips on how to shop for a good one yourself). Total "Ideal" costs: $13,700, not including the $1997 Writer's Academy.

8. Most of the titles on the bookstore page are authored by the PYP principal.

Last edited:

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
I'm trying to sort out just what the hell a "thought leader" is.

All neos need to know is they can do it themselves for less, and this pack of whatevers can't get books into stores.

Also, the son of the CEO, with the title of "business manager," IS NINE YEARS OLD!

Even if it's just a joke, it's unprofessional. Run like the wind away from this one.

Last edited:

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Whoa, Gill, you weren't kidding! And there's even a Q&A with this child where he says, "I like watching the podcasts on YouTube and unexpectedly popping into my mom’s calls with our authors and the PYP team."

If I were talking to my editor and the editor's nine-year-old son randomly joined in because he was playing at being a business manager, I would be annoyed as hell. This behavior is only cutesy and precocious to the child's parent.

Also, their Marketing Manager is "a highly motivated college student". Does he have any relevant experience? Um, he likes to "help others while working with people who are passionate about many different causes"... does that count?

Last edited:

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Also, their Marketing Manager is "a highly motivated college student". Does he have any relevant experience? Um, he likes to "help others while working with people who are passionate about many different causes"... does that count?

I was a highly motivated college student once.

I was also a blithering moron when it came to functioning in the real world.

Of course this place wants first time authors (who don't know how to Google). They're the ones who will fall for the marketing hype.

Coddiwomple

shipwrecked in antiquity
Registered
Reaction score
I like this from their "Who" section, describing who they work with:

"Sometimes they write about topics that others are too afraid to tackle, such as:
-mental health
-domestic violence
-racial trauma
-discrimination in the workplace
-childhood trauma
-addiction and recovery"

Amazing! They somehow happened to stumble across this hidden trove of subjects nobody's written a thing about. Out of fear, apparently. :rolleyes:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like this from their "Who" section, describing who they work with:

"Sometimes they write about topics that others are too afraid to tackle, such as:
-mental health
-domestic violence
-racial trauma
-discrimination in the workplace
-childhood trauma
-addiction and recovery"

Amazing! They somehow happened to stumble across this hidden trove of subjects nobody's written a thing about. Out of fear, apparently. :rolleyes:

Wowzers! In 1980, I got a job in a library, the very first job I ever had. I don't EVER remember seeing books on those topics all them years ago. And all this time, I coulda used a couple of them myself!

:sarcasm

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
In the '70's my first job was in a library. Between Judy Blume, M.E. Kerr and the anonymous author of 'Go Ask Alice', we had most of those categories covered in children's books and YA.

Not exactly breaking new ground, PYP Press.

Coddiwomple

shipwrecked in antiquity
Registered
Reaction score
Hey! My first job was in a library, too! (In 1993.) I mostly remember shelving Ed McBain and Dick Francis books...

Hmm. Must have been that fear PYP's referring to. I'll bet your library was at the epicenter.

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to sort out just what the hell a "thought leader" is.

Do yourself a favour and don't Google that term.

Also, the son of the CEO, with the title of "business manager," IS NINE YEARS OLD!

Future thought leader. Will have TED Talk and a start-up in ~6 years.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
It's really a shame people will get suckered into paying THAT MUCH MONEY??? For a place like this? It's incredible to think people will buy into it, but it's so unfortunate when it happens.

Hopefully anyone looking into them will see this and steer clear of it.