Getting reviews without a network?

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
So I just got my first review on Amazon after the book's been on there for a year, sold/downloaded around 24-30 times, and I've dropped some 10 copies in crowded places. I'm getting another 10 tomorrow and stickers that explicitly say that this book is a free handout and would appreciate a review, to drop in book stores with staff permission.

I've attended a comic and novel convention, and held a giveaway on Instagram and appropriate Facebook groups for free copies of the paperback in exchange for the promise of a review (positive, negative, don't care) as well as "refund after review". I got 1 taker for a free copy, and the deadline to review it (30 days) has passed several months ago. You'd think that if people hate the book, they'd be more likely to post a review, what with human nature of focusing on/complaining about the bad things in life, but not even a bad review was given. I did give a squee at the one I did get now :)

I have 48 friends on Facebook none of whom I want to share this book with. Hence the pen name. I don't do Twitter. And while I'm paid a nice salary to help others market themselves and reach customers, I'm shit at marketing ME and MY stuff.

I've tried to get the book listed on Libri so brick and mortar stores would sell it, but it needs to be published with a "real" publisher for that. I'm in no position to open and pay taxes on my own business just to say "Hey, I got a registered publisher, and it's run by and only representing ME!". I'd also suck at that. Of all the agents and reviewers I've contacted, half never responded and those who did, all declined. I am so bad at telling people "Hey, you might like this, please give it a chance". Maybe because my grandma used to slap me for bragging? *shrugs*

What does one do in my position? I hate that my baby of 4 years flops like this.

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
I recommend goodreads Reading Rounds for reviews: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group_folder/140331.

If you're self-pubbed, you already own your own business. If you make money on your books, you'll need to pay the appropriate taxes, etc.

I have seen most of your questions addressed over and over. I'd suggest back-reading the threads, especially here and in Book Promotion. I've been researching for years to try to find these answers, and it's still a work in progress. I posted a promotion here: https://absolutewrite.com/forums/sh...r-little-fish-and-or-the-financially-impaired.

Last edited:

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Getting reviews can be a real challenge, especially for those who self-pub, typically costing time, effort. money, etc.

Check out - https://www.hiddengemsbooks.com/

It's free for readers (but not authors, although it may be worth it for many).

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Reviews from customers come with numbers, the common estimate is one per 100 sales.

This. My (trade-published) book has had some nice store placement recently, and I’m seeing that reflected a bit in Bookscan sales numbers, but the number of Amazon reviews? Hasn’t budged in maybe a year, since before the paperback came out. This is a long, long game. Organic reviews are really hard to get—but you know that.

The GR reading rounds sound like a good tool; I’d definitely do that with a self-published book. Maybe also get fresh eyes on your pitch/blurb if it hasn’t already been exhaustively critiqued and honed. Do you have Little Free Libraries where you live? People definitely take the books, though what they do with them I could not say. Have you tried local media and pushing a local angle? Small outlets? They may have a “no self-published books” policy, or they may not. Media folks probably won’t leave Amazon reviews (I don’t when I review a book), but they might bring the book to the attention of people who will.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I have a book with four Amazon reviews. It doesn't sell a lot, but I'm still selling a few copies a month even though the book's been out for a year and a half at this point. Quite a few people are also buying the later books in the series, so I know they like it. I just wish they'd leave reviews.

Nearly all of my reviews have been organic, which has been a bit tough because organic reviews are sometimes those 1-star reviews you really don't want.

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
This. My (trade-published) book has had some nice store placement recently, and I’m seeing that reflected a bit in Bookscan sales numbers, but the number of Amazon reviews? Hasn’t budged in maybe a year, since before the paperback came out. This is a long, long game. Organic reviews are really hard to get—but you know that.

The GR reading rounds sound like a good tool; I’d definitely do that with a self-published book. Maybe also get fresh eyes on your pitch/blurb if it hasn’t already been exhaustively critiqued and honed. Do you have Little Free Libraries where you live? People definitely take the books, though what they do with them I could not say. Have you tried local media and pushing a local angle? Small outlets? They may have a “no self-published books” policy, or they may not. Media folks probably won’t leave Amazon reviews (I don’t when I review a book), but they might bring the book to the attention of people who will.

There's a LFL right next to my house, but my mother gets her books there and I don't want her to get her hands on that one. Plus, this isn't a neighbourhood where I could hope for an audience for that one.

Also wrote to some local English/used book stores, but while it says "Read", the messages got ignored. As for the media, I don't read any newspapers or magazines and have no idea how or where to start searching for them, so I have no idea what paper is looking for what kind of content.

I did enter the book on Goodreads, but with zero response.
Will have a look at ARC though.

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
The blurb on Amazon makes your book sound very niche, which means it requires a very particular audience. Your best bet is to find this audience first and offer the book specifically to them. Interest groups are a good start. Forums or facebook groups with interests similar to the topic of the book. That, or change the blurb to a more mainstream appealing one. Because you'll need people to actually read the book first in order to leave a review. And the blurb is crucial there.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Getting reviews can be a real challenge, especially for those who self-pub, typically costing time, effort. money, etc.

Check out - https://www.hiddengemsbooks.com/

It's free for readers (but not authors, although it may be worth it for many).

My last book will go up for reviews on Hidden Gems on Feb. 20. I’ll post the results here afterward.

KittenEV

Registered
Reaction score
Website
eventsias.wixsite.com
If you don't mind reading a book to get someone to review yours, you could do what I'm doing.

I'm part of a book review pool on goodreads. Read a book in the pool, review it, and then yours can be put in the pool where someone else will read and review it. I have gotten 2 reviews out of it so far!

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group_folder/227448

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've got a trade book that's been out a bit over six years and has garnered a whopping 13 reviews. Could care less, every six months I get a royalty payment. :)

Jeff

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I'm trade published with a smaller indie; it's a romantic suspense with humor and erotic scenes. Not too bad in the popularity of genres, or so I thought. My publisher sent out about 10 review requests to her regular stable, I sent out 55 to the best review websites and blogs I could find. I have 3,500 friends on FB and over 800 on Twitter. Before, during and after release, I bombed every social media site I belonged to, and I'm talking about 20 of the largest. Not overdone and in your face, mind you. A week ago I started offering free PDFs on FB and Twiter and other other sites--I got about eight takers. I've asked everybody under the sun to shoot me any kind of review. The book has been out three months.

Zero sales. Zero reviews. (Too early for the freebies and reviews, actually, but there were no pre-orders with the initial announcement).

My buddy has written a deeply moving and accurate historical novel, and he has gone without a review or sale in four months, not from his attempt at promoting and marketing. When I ran down nearly all of my publisher's authors and their recent releases on Amazon, I was shocked to see no sales and no reviews, as well. We, you, are not alone.

I don't know what to tell you. I've never seen it like this before. We are discussing some of these downturns in the AW threads. The reality is rather chilling as to the theories I believe has been causing this. For you to go without a review for a year is rather nuts. I'd primarily blame Amazon and their newest review policy for the likes of that. The other reason is competition and an insufferable glut in the market. I can only say, don't give up--redouble your efforts. Like Clint Eastwood said, "Get mean dog mad about it."

KBooks

Registered
Reaction score
Triceretops, would your publisher be open to letting you change your cover? I just wonder if maybe it's not doing its best to sell your work.

whistlelock

Whiskey Rebel
Registered
Reaction score
Somehow I ended up in Fort Worth. Dunno how that h
If it's been a year and no reviews, even with incentives, you may have to face up to something worse than people hating the book.

They're indifferent to it.

If they hate it, you'll get a lot of hate-reviews but that's a reaction. You're not getting that. You're getting a "meh" and a shoulder shrug.

My advice would be to walk away from it. Go write another book.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Triceretops, would your publisher be open to letting you change your cover? I just wonder if maybe it's not doing its best to sell your work.

Aug, sorry I'm late to this. You have an excellent point and it's been bothering me. That cover. How pedestrian could it get? My cover artist was not to be budged. I was pretty much at their mercy. It just so happens that I've had the same attitude from other little trade houses. It seems to be a real sensitive issue, and they take the "final say" on cover art to the max as it stipulates in the contract.

I think there might be some good advice given about the Goodreads route. I'm going to check that out now.