Time to get over my fears.

AmeliaR

Registered
Reaction score
Hello AW,

Hi from Oregon. I have been lurking around for a few months making sure there wasn't any bullying going on. As a saying a grew up with goes, "Mean People Suck." Thankfully, it seems it really is as inclusive as the newbie guide claims.

My friend said I would enjoy this forum and possibly get questions answered. Quick background first. I'm a 40-something proofreader-in-training, wannabe-editor with a B.S. in Communications that, once again, seems to be coming in quite handy in life. I was a bit fearful that this forum was just for writers, but I LOVE books, so here I am. I was reading so much (thank you Kindle Unlimited) and proofreading as I went, I decided I wanted to get paid to read one day. Getting paid to write must be quite awesome too.

On to the questions. Why do books even get published when the final product is filled with typos? I don't see it often, but I do see it. It's unreadable and just so shocking. Similarly, why do some of the most accomplished writers still have books come out with glaring mistakes? Surely they have experienced proofreaders and editors, and I know nobody can catch everything. I guess my question is: why can't we get it down to just a handful of mistakes to a book? Do authors shop around or usually stick with one proofreader? How do you choose, or do you let your editor work that out? Any insight would be helpful.

Lastly, are two spaces after periods just not a thing anymore? My kids already make me feel old and outdated, now my ingrained grammar rules are as well. When I began this adventure last summer, I had to look up what the Oxford comma was. Now I know how great it really is; I'll never go back. But that still made me feel behind-the-times. I also might be a double-spacer for life. But we'll see what you guys tell me on that one.

Thanks so much,
Amelia

P.S. I am here to learn and not feel alone. So feel free to point out any usage, grammar, or spelling mistakes I make. Thank you in advance;)

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Welcome!

The double-space after a period thing has indeed gone the way of the dodo. Fortunately it's an easy matter to correct on Word.

Who edits and/or proofreads a book depends on how the book is published; if an author self-publishes, he or she is responsible for any editing, but if a trade publisher acquires the book, the responsibility for editing/proofing lies with them.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome from me too, and it is shocking to discover a mistake still lurking in a heavily reviewed/proofed draft--but it happens. All the freakin' time. It happens.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Amelia :welcome:

I was able to change from two to one spaces after a period (it's in to stay) and I'm older than you (shhh). Just a matter of replacing a habit with another habit. I'm sure you'll have no probs.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. :Sun:

ETA: Meant to say - if you see any posts that you think are abusive (or spammy) use the little triangle icon under your name to report them. Bullies get banned pretty quickly. Also, spammers.

Last edited:

-Riv-

The much appreciated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:Welcome!

I'm in Oregon, too. :)

No bullying is tolerated here. On the rare occasions when someone steps out of line, it gets sorted out swiftly, thanks to watchful members and stellar moderators.

It took me a while to break the two-spaces-after-a-period habit, but I've been two-space free since about 2005. :greenie

Glad to have you here!

All the best,
Riv

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I was a bit fearful that this forum was just for writers, but I LOVE books, so here I am.
Welcome, Amelia! Don't worry - I'm another non-writer. (Okay, I dabbled a little when I was a kid.) I'm here because of my interest in how books are written, how stories are made. And everyone has been very nice. If not, the moderators will do some bud-nipping.

Disclosure: I have no opinion on the whole 'period/space thing' and, to be honest, tend to sprinkle commas indiscriminately.

Last edited:

kimchi_and_sardines

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings fellow Northwesterner (I'm outside of Seattle, but some of my stories are set in Portland), fellow 40-something, and fellow member of Team Oxford Comma! :hi:

I only learned of the no-more-double-space-after-period rule in the last five years - I was completely unaware up until then. But I adapted quickly, and now a single space is second nature. :)

Hope to see you around here!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Kinsman

Destroyer of Keyboards
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:Amelia. it took a minute to get over the loss of the additional space after a period (*calls for moment of silence for the 2nd keyboard strike), but it was quickly overshadowed by the whole comma-thing. I'm still recovering.

This is a great place to ask for, and provide, feedback. I'm new here as well and no has hurt my feelings yet, even when I encouraged it. :e2poke:

Kiteya

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! I shared your fear at first too. The internet can be mean sometimes. But I'm glad you're here, you're so brave! Welcome!

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
Welcome to AW! It is a pretty chill and laid-back place.
I reckon with the Big 5 trade published books that a lot of those typos creep in at the structural edit stage, when authors are under time pressure to get changes made and sent back in to their editor. With small presses and self-published books it really depends on who they got to copyedit and proofread. And some things just get missed despite multiple pairs of eyes looking over it.