Questions on an R&R

Julsicle

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Yesterday I received a response to a submission from a publisher which left me a bit confused. I think it's an R&R (as they DO say that if I'm willing to revise they invite me to resubmit - and that's... basically what an R&R is, isn't it?), but when it comes to the issues they have with the book, they specify one major concern about scene-to-scene flow without really telling me a lot about it? By which I mean that the email is really short and without specifics. I guess they mean the scenes end and start too abruptly, and I can work on that, but the shortness and non-specificity of the requested revision makes me a little anxious. Is that a usual thing in an R&R? I been reading about some other writers who got pages of edits, or at least two or three big things like, more character development, wrong pace and such, but flow...? What am I missing? I know that without reading the actual book it might be tricky to offer any advise, but anything will help (and if anyone wanted to see some stuff, I am willing to trade critiques)!

Another thing that occurred to me was just getting back to them (which I will do in any case, to tell them that I am happy to revise) and asking for a bit more direction or pointers. Is that something I could do, or is that a big no-no? (Other posts I have seen make me think it is something I could do, or at least is something other people have done, but I wanted to make sure.)

And finally the needy, anxious person in me needs to know... is the vagueness a bad sign? :)cry:)

Thanks a lot in advance!!

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
I would reply to say you're willing to revise and resubmit, and ask if they have any more notes or suggestions for you. It's always hard to second guess these things, but my guess is they don't waste time giving detailed feedback until they know an author is willing to work on the revision.

Good luck!

Julsicle

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Earthling!

I will write and ask, as you suggest. I think you're right and that was my first instinct, too, so I guess that settles it. Whoo boy, I know this is a very small thing, but it feels HUGE to me! I'm sweating!

Thanks again :D

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
It's not a small thing! R&Rs are like gold dust and mean you're PUBLISHABLE!

Keep us updated. :)

Julsicle

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you!! I will update (if there's anything to update on). I already sent the email - we'll see!

:)

halion

Registered
Reaction score
When doing something like this is rewriting entire chapters easier? or adding stuff in between. I feel, with my own story, it's similar to some sort of painting. You can do a little here or there. But a certain point, the awkwardness of the flow just demands a complete pen-to-paper-pc rewrite.

Julsicle

Registered
Reaction score
Hi halion,

sorry I hadn't seen this. Yes, I ended up doing a bit of both, it was a 98% rewrite plus adding new stuff in between chapts (or, rather, making the ends less abrupt - sometimes by adding whole new scenes - which is what I think might have thrown the editors off). Anyways, I turned in the revised vision a few days ago. Now, fingers crossed - and if anything, I've learned a great deal by doing this!

:)