• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Ending a short story - wrapping it up without spending too little or much time doing it.

HD Simplicityy

Registered
Reaction score
I'm at the point in revising (for the third time) this short story. It's come to just over 31 double spaced pages. By changing the very end of the old revision I now have room to create a brand new, fresh ending that puts the journey at a hopefully proper end. Pretty sweet, right? Well I'm thinking of how long that ending should be, what should be said by the characters, how much plot to wrap up, how to best wrap that plot up, and not stray too far. I'm imagining around three pages of narrative and dialogue. In my mind I want to end it, like at the very end, with some internal dialogue, but...ehh...I'd rather try narration.
Thoughts? This is a story that first came to mind in the spring of 2017, in a writing class for my recently finished Bachelors degree (finished December 6th...just a few weeks ago). Became my own project I felt I could add more to. Its come quite a ways since I first envisioned it; it'll be bittersweet to end this draft and see how much more editing it needs before seeing to submit it for publication.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Sounds like you're really connected to this story, you've been working with it for so long.

Sure, there's no reason why another few pages of narration and dialogue wouldn't work... though you could also try a shorter wrap-up in a single thoughtful final paragraph, just to get things over and done with. I mean it's a short story, not War & Peace. (31 double spaced pages makes me think it's a long short story, pushing 7-8k words.)

Just a random early morning thought, I'm only another wannabe on the internet, not a guru.

-Derek

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
This is a "how long is a piece of string?" question: it depends on the structure of your story, and the effect you're after. If your instincts are driving you toward narration, there's probably a reason, and it's well worth giving it a shot. There are no Short Story Police who are going to go after you if you change your mind later and put the internal dialogue back. :)

You could also try getting some readers for it - even potentially both endings, if you still find yourself fence-sitting. Sometimes new eyes can work wonders.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
If your instincts are driving you toward narration, there's probably a reason, and it's well worth giving it a shot.

I totally agree with this. Trust your instincts and your characters. <-- I learned to do that for my short stories even though it can be very hard.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll refer you to Derek and Lizmonster above, and just add that from what I've seen, short stories have much less "wrap up" following the climax than do novels. Some even have the climax at the final sentence.

But try it both ways and see what feels right.

HD Simplicityy

Registered
Reaction score
Instinctively I want to narration and character interaction with internal dialogue, or only the first two.
Yes its basically become a long short story. First draft was 14 or so pages double spaced, second draft was...ummm...21? 22? and this is longer. I may trim it down when critiques are given by willing readers.