Status
Not open for further replies.

chracatoa

COG: Sometimes, Heaven is Overrated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Near Puget Sound, in the beautiful Pacific Northwe
Three years ago I wrote a book, and I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. Oh boy, how wrong I was. The novel’s premise was solid, but I had to learn a lot about writing before I could make it shine. So I spent the next years learning about adverbs, show versus tell, passive voice, tenses, etc. But the hardest lesson to learn was how to handle constructive feedback.

Worse, I’m from Brazil and English is my second language. As a non-native speaker, prepositions like “in” and “on” were especially hard to learn.

But the work finally paid off. My debut novel “Challenges of the Gods” was published today by The Wild Rose Press.

Despite of what people may think, writing a book is far from being a lonely enterprise. A lot of people helped me, including my wife and kids, friends, co-workers, strangers from the internet, and professional editors. Because of their feedback, my characters have more depth, my chapters flow better, and, more importantly, I learned to have thick skin. Uh… most of the time, anyway.

AbsoluteWrite was an important part of this journey. Here I learned how to improve my craft, fine tune my querying, and learn about the business in general. Thanks to AW and all its members. This is a great place for writers to grow and learn.

Last edited:

Spicyqueso

Registered
Reaction score
That's so amazing and quite an accomplishment, especially writing a book in a different language! That's incredibly impressive!

chracatoa

COG: Sometimes, Heaven is Overrated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Near Puget Sound, in the beautiful Pacific Northwe
Something that I didn't realize before I started doing this is the amount of work you have to do after an offer. Besides the editing, cover design, blurb, etc., once you have the final galley you have to research a lot of blogs and contact a lot of people to get just a few advanced reviews. It feels a lot like querying. Perhaps we should add a thread to the forum just for the Review Letter Hell :)

Almost like playing the lottery. I researched about 1000 blogs (15 a day during week nights, more during the weekend), found about a hundred or so that could be a match, and sent "queries." From those, I received 7 requests. I couldn't just send them a cold and impersonal query. Bloggers are not out there just to review my particular book in the middle of who knows how many requests they get.

It is a lot of fun, though, I have to admit.

Kinsman

Destroyer of Keyboards
Registered
Reaction score
:hooray: Congrats! English is my first language (still struggling). While getting a book published is a remarkable and rewarding milestone, the experience gleaned will surely continue to serve you well on future endeavors! Keep writing!

TheHodorOne

Registered
Reaction score
Three years ago I wrote a book, and I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. Oh boy, how wrong I was. The novel’s premise was solid, but I had to learn a lot about writing before I could make it shine. So I spent the next years learning about adverbs, show versus tell, passive voice, tenses, etc. But the hardest lesson to learn was how to handle constructive feedback.

Worse, I’m from Brazil and English is my second language. As a non-native speaker, prepositions like “in” and “on” were especially hard to learn.

But the work finally paid off. My debut novel “Challenges of the Gods” was published today by The Wild Rose Press.

Despite of what people may think, writing a book is far from being a lonely enterprise. A lot of people helped me, including my wife and kids, friends, co-workers, strangers from the internet, and professional editors. Because of their feedback, my characters have more depth, my chapters flow better, and, more importantly, I learned to have thick skin. Uh… most of the time, anyway.

AbsoluteWrite was an important part of this journey. Here I learned how to improve my craft, fine tune my querying, and learn about the business in general. Thanks to AW and all its members. This is a great place for writers to grow and learn.

Congratulations! Keep it up with the good work.
I am also writing my novel in English which isn't my mother language, so I understand what were you going through.
I wish you big sales and success with your writing!

g_eke

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations on your publication of Challenges of the Gods. It sounds like a very interesting premise!

SAWeiner

Reaction score
Congratulations!!! I hope this is the beginning of a long successful career for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.