• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

More POV Questions

Jonp95

Registered
Reaction score
So I am edging closer and closer to then end of my second draft! However I am again stuck on POV's. I try to use literary works I have read to answer my questions but sometimes I think its best to ask people.

I have a protagonist and his love interest travelling together. During this time the story is completely in the protagonists POV. Now in the 6th chapter she leaves him and the chapter is in her POV for the first time, which sheds light on why she is like she is. She only has one chapter of her POV till they reunite 4 chapters later. When there together it is solely in the protagonists POV again. Until they decide to split before the climax, so she can embark on her own quest which gives her 3 more chapter of POV up to the end. Does this sound okay or maybe too messy?

So the biggest concern is having her develop her own POV then go back to chapter where we don't know what shes thinking.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I had this problem with a WIP. It was mostly in the MC's POV, but I wanted to show off what happened to the LI when they split off, and also at the end the MC was effective "unconscious" so another chapter had to be in the LI's POV. Long story short, it didn't work. It WAS messy, but I couldn't just cut them. So what I ended up doing was going back and adding chapters in the LI's voice, effectively making him a full second POV through the whole story. Some existing chapters got changed to his voice for a back-and-forth flow, but mostly, they were new chapters. The current version never goes more than 2 chapters in one POV, and it works a lot better. His voice is established and the POV switches aren't as jarring because you expect them from the second chapter. Take a closer look at your WIP and see if you can figure out if you can work in more chapters for her POV.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Why not give her more scenes in her POV, especially when she's with the protagonist?

Jonp95

Registered
Reaction score
Why not give her more scenes in her POV, especially when she's with the protagonist?

I had this problem with a WIP. It was mostly in the MC's POV, but I wanted to show off what happened to the LI when they split off, and also at the end the MC was effective "unconscious" so another chapter had to be in the LI's POV. Long story short, it didn't work. It WAS messy, but I couldn't just cut them. So what I ended up doing was going back and adding chapters in the LI's voice, effectively making him a full second POV through the whole story. Some existing chapters got changed to his voice for a back-and-forth flow, but mostly, they were new chapters. The current version never goes more than 2 chapters in one POV, and it works a lot better. His voice is established and the POV switches aren't as jarring because you expect them from the second chapter. Take a closer look at your WIP and see if you can figure out if you can work in more chapters for her POV.

Thanks for this advice, I was thinking of adding more content from her POV. I'll need to revisit the story and see what development her POV can add to the understanding of the world. :hooray:

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
I doubt it will work. The opening of a novel sets the terms of engagement, which readers either sign onto, by continuing to read, or opt out of, by choosing a different book. Those terms include establishing your MC, his major challenge (around which the plot is organized), the setting and the POV. Your opening proclaims that this is the protagonist's story and will be told from his POV. By changing that well into the book, you break that contract and you almost certainly wake readers from the fictional dream you've lured them into. They might readjust, or they might not; every such awakening carries the risk that readers will desert.

There are other options. If the love interest's POV is essential to the story, I suggest you bring it in much sooner and revert to it on regular occasions, so readers can adjust to the fact that this story will be told from 2 different perspectives. If you're just doing this because it's an easy way to convey her thoughts and feelings, find other ways.There are always other ways.

Good luck!

Last edited:

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
I would say if you are adding more of her POV, then make it start on chapter 2 or 3, that way the reader will catch on at the beginning, instead of being thrown into it during the middle.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think there's anything wrong with introducing her POV at the point where she and the protagonist diverge.

But once you have established her as a central character in her own right with her own perspective and storyline and not simply an appendage of the protagonist, it would bother me to have her completely subsumed by the other POV once they reunite, and return to her again only after they split up again. That makes it too obvious that her POV is just there as a narrative convenience to provide a camera for scenes the protagonist isn't around for.