Two articles about Bestselling Books in 2018

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
First there was a piece in The Guardian The 100 bestselling books of 2018 it’s an article about 2018 publishing trends based on Nielsen Bookscan 31/12/17-8/12/18 and in the form of a list and some commentary. It inspired a Twitter stream with pie charts, and the two of them led to this Forbes article 7 Publishing Insights Revealed By Last Year's Top 100 Bestselling Books.

Note that The Guardian is a UK paper, so the 100 best sellers are *in the UK*. I'm going to try to find time to find an equivalent list for the U.S. Please do post i you find one.

Please actually read both articles and share your impressions, reflections, and take-aways.

Some things from me:

1. I have limited access to actual bookstores or libraries at present. I can't drive, so most of my books are obtained in digital form, and mostly from libraries via the 'net. I'm missing the displays that bookstores and libraries deliberately create, and the serendipity caused by shelf browsing, and talking to libraries, book sellers and patrons.

Yes, I do use GoodReads, and especially, LibraryThing, and the various browsing options from Overdrive and the like.

It's not the same. I'm relying more and more on people I know for book suggestions.

But the absence of physical displays means I completely missed the existence of a lot of the top sellers that I might have seen even if I didn't read, like health related books.

2. The non-fiction political books totally dominated last year, and in my impressions of 2017, the previous year as well.

3. Of the 100 bestselling books, I am waitlisted for three of them: Yuval Noah Harari's Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind, his Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow, and Gaiman's Norse Mythology.

4. This bit from the Guardian piece caught my eye:
there is a pervasive sense of women being in retreat after a heady 2017. Male authors, for example, consolidated their dominance in children’s fiction (despite the remarkable return of three JK Rowling sagas from the 1990s) and cookery (where Mary Berry alone took on the male chefs), and penned most of the chart’s 25 crime novels, while the female-driven subgenre of the psychological thriller was on the wane. Tot up the names, and you have 63 men credited, compared with 35 women; a big turn-around from last year’s 50 women and 40 men.

As the Forbe's piece notes:

male authors represented 8 out of the top 10 books as well as 61% of the entire list's authors, up from 35% in 2017.

Women and people of color are still scant, if you compare the population to authors.

5. In terms of fiction, I mostly read SF/F. And mostly now, in ebook form. I still buy hardcovers if it's a book I love (C. J. Cherryh is an auto buy, for instance) and that seems to be a trend for SF/F and romance fiction for other readers, too. They're turning to ebooks. And I suspect but can't prove, much of those books are self-pubbed and/or audiobooks.

6. From the Forbe's article:

General fiction bestsellers usually move about 140,000 copies.

How many copies should an author sell in a year before they can expect to hit the U.K.'s bestselling lists? If you're in the fiction category, about 140,000 copies in 2018, which is up quite a bit from the year prior.

Last edited:

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Those are my main takeaways as well, so I won't rehash them. So, additional issues and reflections on why it's becoming increasingly difficult to find books to my tastes:

• The Times Best-Seller list has always been hit-or-miss for me, but I still follow it with hope in my heart.
  • The "local" B&N is more accessories-driven these days. While I have found a couple of good books there, I find I'm less inclined to stop there anymore.
  • There are no other readers in my world to discuss books or to look to for book recs. You've been great in helping in that regard, Lisa, but, honestly, you're the only one I have for recs. (By the way, thank you again for the Mary Russell series.)
  • I'm a re-reader—often a re-re-re-reader—and libraries and Overdrive aren't my things. Book ownership is a big part of who I am.
  • I subscribe to several publishers' newsletters, but my favorite Signature: Making Well-Read Sense of the World is closing at the end of the month and there's no news on what their "next chapter" will be. I hate that!
  • I subscribe to Words without Borders: The Online Magazine for International Literature, but it's often difficult for me to get the books I'd most be interested in.
  • Increasingly, BookBub has been letting me down. I was fortunate enough to catch Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow on sale via BookBub in July of 2017. There were also two outstanding self-published YA series I was lucky enough to find on BookBub, but offerings I'd like are thin on the ground these days.

None of which means I'll stop trying 'cause I'd rather read than sleep and I know my next great reads are out there—somewhere. But I do resent that I'm spending more time sourcing reads than actually reading.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Those are my main takeaways as well, so I won't rehash them. So, additional issues and reflections on why it's becoming increasingly difficult to find books to my tastes:

• The Times Best-Seller list has always been hit-or-miss for me, but I still follow it with hope in my heart.
  • The "local" B&N is more accessories-driven these days. While I have found a couple of good books there, I find I'm less inclined to stop there anymore.
  • There are no other readers in my world to discuss books or to look to for book recs. You've been great in helping in that regard, Lisa, but, honestly, you're the only one I have for recs. (By the way, thank you again for the Mary Russell series.)

• I'm currently obsessively reading the Miss Fisher mysteries by Australian writer Kerry Greenwood. They feature private investigator Phyrne Fisher.

The best comparison I've heard is that they're sort of a female Aussie counterpart to Sayer's Lord Peter and Harriet Vane mysteries. They were the inspiration for an Australian TV show, which Netflix picked up, and that has caused the books to be more available.

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
Oooh, had to check it out and I see the first book Cocaine Blues is on sale on Amazon for $0.99 and, yeah, it's heading over to my Kindle right now. Thank you!

I adore Sayers' Lord Peter Wimsey and Harriet Vane Series and Margery Allingham's Albert Campion series—full sets of both on Kindle as well as hardcovers in storage. I've always been addicted to the Thin Man movie series with William Powell and Myrna Loy, too. Clever, snappy dialogue will cause me to gobble-up fiction faster than most anything else.

Ari, long on sarcasm, short on clever.

Last edited:

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Read them both. My impression is: "Why do people read these things?" If I were in the publishing industry as an executive or investor it might indicate future financial trends but as a writer or a reader they have no value to me.

Jeff

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
It should. The business side of writing should matter. For me, as a reader, it helps to know where publishers are placing their advertising dollars so that I can (hopefully) know where to look for my content preferences. But content isn't the only consideration for a writer who hopes to publish—and we all know writers are foolish to chase content trends. They're gone before you can write to them. Changes and growth in publishing technology and innovation matter a great deal, too. What formats are selling? How do audiences want to receive their content and what share of the market should be assessed for each—digital, audio, print? (Which, of course, determines how advertising dollars are spent.) These things matter to self-publishers as well because the "big guys" have done the research and S-P writers can benefit from that.

Publishing can't be committed to a static business model. Publishers must continually re-evaluate their business models with such questions as "How is the print book-first model faring and do we need to pivot from that and if so, how and to what?"

I'm neither a publisher nor a writer but I read such things as Publishing Executive to gain insight into which baskets they're putting their advertising dollars. That right there has book promotion implications for a self-published writer as well as for providing information that can help adjust promotional expectations for the writer pursuing trade publishing.

Yeah, the business side of writing and publishing should matter.

Last edited: