What are you secrets for finding the perfect agent?

Shalon

Registered
Reaction score
I'm creating my list of agents to submit to in the next few weeks, and I have seen a lot of advice on how to go about it. Some has been pretty helpful, but a lot of it is generic.

Of course I stalk whomever I can on Twitter (that's been helpful because some update their MSWL regularly), but most agents don't use Twitter.

I went to chapters and browsed the sci-fi books to see which ones seemed the most similar to mine, and then looked in the acknowledgements to see if they thanked their agent (always a good sign :e2brows: ). But... after spending four hours there, I only found... three 'maybe' matches.

Almost all agencies say, "Please only submit to ONE agent at our agency." Rarely is there one who I just "know" is the right agent. Most of the time there are multiple who seem to be looking for what I'm writing (Middle Grade Science Fiction). And their bios are so generic. If I hear another agent asking for "A Story with Heart" I'll scream! (They expect perfect pitches from us, but they can't even describe what they're looking for with any kind of clarity! :rant:)

There are SO many agents to choose from.... How do you pick the right one? What are your secrets for researching agents? Which of the agent tracking websites are the best? Anything to be aware of, in terms of finding the most up-to-date MSWL? Any special resources for science fiction agents?

Thanks in advance!

screenscope

Registered
Reaction score
Alas, there is no definitive answer to this question and even with detailed research, it's still a hit and miss process.

Here are a few of things I do:

- Check the web pages of authors of similar books, as they usually list their agent(s) on their contact page.

- Search on Google for your very specific agent requirements (for example, literary agents science fiction young adult humor New York). The results can be illuminating!

- Go through the list of agents at a prospective agency and find one you can connect with on a personal level. They often have a detailed bio, so if there is something in there that you can link to your work or to yourself, it can make for a nice icebreaker in your query. 'I read that your interest in SF stems from reading X when you were 10 years old, which prompted me to submit my..." or "I see you share my interest in collecting three-legged chairs from the 1960s..."

Still no guarantees, but I have found over the years that personalized queries are more likely to result in a response.

Shalon

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I've heard as well, about personalizing the query, and Twitter really helps in that regard.

Those things you mentioned I've been doing, but not the detailed google search. I will try that now.

I thought there might be some sneaky back doors. I guess it's just a matter of work, work, work...

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
If you haven't already, create an account with the QueryTracker service. It's a website that allows querying writers to organize their querying efforts, and even see comments from other users about responses, and times. If you've got a few ten dollar bills you don't need, you can even opt to subscribe to the premium service for a year, and get access to actual submission data like how many books they've requested over the course of their career, which genres, and which ones actually got offers made.

I faithfully used the service for years, but I finally let my subscription lapse when I got an SFF agent offering representation, so didn't need all that data anymore.

You're already in the right place, though. There are plenty of resources just within this sub-forum, with a lot of people keeping track of the industry scuttlebutt for SFF literary agents.

Shalon

Registered
Reaction score
If you haven't already, create an account with the QueryTracker service. It's a website that allows querying writers to organize their querying efforts, and even see comments from other users about responses, and times. If you've got a few ten dollar bills you don't need, you can even opt to subscribe to the premium service for a year, and get access to actual submission data like how many books they've requested over the course of their career, which genres, and which ones actually got offers made.

Okay, I just did this! I have been searching the QT for the past four hours! this is the BOMB! Thank you!

If you hear of any sneaky back doors, let me know!

I found the perfect way on Query Tracker to search for agents who accept queries from BOTH my genre (sci-fi) AND subgenre (middle grade).

Go to QT, find the agent, click on 'Reports' and choose 'Fiction Genre' and it will show you exactly how many manuscripts they've requested in your genres/sub-genres. It's the fastest and most accurate, because it's real data in real time. Whereas their bios are often out of date or vague. Interviews on AW or online are also very often out of date (tastes/markets change). You can even narrow it down to past 12/6/3 months to see what they're really hot for right now.

Another great report is the 'Send-Receive.' It's helping me cull those 'superstar' agents who say they are open for queries, but when you look at their data on QT, you see that they've gotten hundreds of queries, but haven't actually requested a full or a partial in over a year. That would be a wasted opportunity because most agencies only let you query ONE agent!

This has made my job SO MUCH easier. But it's also been a sad day because agents who I really thought were going to be my dream agents are... POOF!
:flamethrower

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
This has made my job SO MUCH easier. But it's also been a sad day because agents who I really thought were going to be my dream agents are... POOF!
:flamethrower

Yeah, once you see the hard numbers it can be quite an eye-opener. But don't pin your hopes on an agent just based on what you read in interviews, or see on social media. It's pretty much like dating; you're only going to know you and an agent are a good fit once you speak with them about your book. I was quite surprised when the agent I finally ended up signing with was one I never would have expected in a million years to go with... because she'd turned me down three times before that with form rejections. Some of the people I thought were a perfect fit, were non-responders, even after asking for a full, so you just never know.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Agencies say to only query one of their agents at a time, but you can query more than one at lots of agencies. Always check the agency site for current info on who’s open, and if they’re a no-from-one-is-no-from-all agency.

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
Do note however, that MSWL is used primarily by junior agents trying to build lists and author engagement, they'll often have no bearing on what the agent actually ends up repping!!

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Do note however, that MSWL is used primarily by junior agents trying to build lists and author engagement, they'll often have no bearing on what the agent actually ends up repping!!

This. MSWL and personalization aside, your best chance is with a good query and a good MS.

I'll add this piece of advice: on top of your research, pay attention to your gut. You're looking for a business partner. You don't have to be best buddies, but you have to be able to talk to this person seriously about both your art and your money. If they make you uncomfortable for any reason, even if you can't articulate why, they're probably not going to be a good match for you, no matter how many whiz-bang authors they've repped.

Shalon

Registered
Reaction score
On top of your research, pay attention to your gut. If they make you uncomfortable for any reason, even if you can't articulate why, they're probably not going to be a good match for you, no matter how many whiz-bang authors they've repped.

This is so true, and something I have to be careful about. I was looking at Trident the other day, and then figured out Mark Gottlieb was the agent most likely to want what I have, but I thought he looked like a slimy guy. I did some research on Gottlieb and now Trident is off my list.

Shalon

Registered
Reaction score
Agencies say to only query one of their agents at a time, but you can query more than one at lots of agencies.

Yes, I do understand this, but I'm taking a particular strategy with this round of queries. Namely, I'm only having one round of queries. I'm going to query ALL of them at the same time. And if no one wants my book, then I'm shelving it. I've been working on this for far too long and I want it gone.

I'm ready to shelve it already, but I promised myself I'd at least give it a try. The story has a lot of things going against it: it's my debut; it used to be the first of a series until I hacked it up and made it standalone; it's not my 'true' genre (I mainly write feminist adult sci-fi, but kiddied around with this middle grade out of mis-guided nostalgia); I posted the first discovery draft on Wattpad prior; and did I say that it's my debut?

Anyway, I know a lot of people would say my strategy is stupid, but it's what's going to happen. I'm not pulling it back to make revisions. Not until I've completely finished (all drafts of) another book. I already have a few first drafts of other books, and I have some great ideas for even other books that I'm just itching to write.