Say My Name

Cochinay

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, if this has long been asked and answered, but my email address does not contain my name. I've done that over the years believing it adds privacy. My query letters, of course, contain my full name and address. Is it a mistake for my email queries to come from an email name that is merely initials, like JPL_at_whatever.com?

(Sounding desperate, am I not?)

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
That should be fine. JMO, emails that are cutesy, gross, or otherwise highly unprofessional shouldn't be used for queries or any other professional use. But, yeah, your initials should be fine.

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think so. As long as your email address isn't something juvenile or rude or silly, I don't think it's an issue. If the email comes through with your name, I doubt an agent is even going to look at what the email address is, they'll go straight on to reading your query.

shadowsminder

writing in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowsinmind.carrd.co
I've also wondered if editors care during what an email address looks like the short story submissions process.

Long ago, a slush reader admitted to looking down on certain email providers. That was when providers had reputations, though. I also don't remember if the writer's name on the address was ever thought to make a difference.

I'm curious what this thread will reveal.

Charke

Registered
Reaction score
Moonchild. (Okay joke time is over but I HAD to post that.)

I've used the same email address all my life. First letter of first name plus last name. However I'm really lucky that my name is almost unique. If you Google my last name, you'll find me on the first page or two. But really, that's all just vanity.

I've done business with hundreds of people and I never consider their email longer than the time it takes to type it in. The ONLY emails I despise are the ones that are really hard to type or read.

[email protected]

This would be my nightmare scenario email. I would NEVER know if I got it right. If your email isn't a nightmare, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If your email can add information, like your name, that can help the reader figure out who you are, its better but I wouldn't say necessary. I mean if your name is Smith, Jones, Chan, Yu or something like that, you're going to need to add to it and that's just the way it is. Also, obviously, nothing too silly, weird, profane. Nothing you wouldn't type to the person.

- Mark Charke