Joyful January - 500 words writing/editing - all genres welcome

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
Happy New Year!

I may have reused a title, I'm not sure.

Soooooooo it's a new year, and a new month. How did December go? Did you make your goals? Or did you fall short?

What's on tap for this month?

Last edited:

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
For me, my #1 goal in December was to release the secret project, which I did! My other goals were:

~Some words on Oubliette - yes, 600 of them!
~Survive Christmas - yes!
~As many pages of the BEP as I can tolerate - 2 pages! Wanted more, but got too darned busy!

Goals for this month:

~5 pages of the BEP
~Oubliette words
~Antho story revisions
~Short story that was due today, oops

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Go, Saoirse! You are doing brilliantly, as always. :)

So. December. Hm. I can't say I didn't get anything done, because I did. I got in another edit or two on the short I sold (AFAIK it's pretty much frozen now), and I got my newsletter short up on my web site.

I also got a query letter into QLH, which I'm now totally rewriting thanks to the feedback there. I'm also making some light revisions to the MS, which came up when I was originally constructing the query. Weird how trying to distill the story down to 250 words can make you see holes in a 100K-word novel.

December marked my 12th newsletter, delivered on time. I don't have tons of subscribers, but it was a milestone I set myself, and I've managed it! Now I just have to keep it up. :)

There was also Awful Life Stuff, which is coming to a head more rapidly than I'd hoped. So my January goals are tenuous at best, but I'll be trying.

So, January!

- Revise query
- Revise MS #1
- Get the newsletter out on time

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Not much progress for the first few days. I did get some fabulous feedback on my query letter, but Real Life Stuff™️ has interfered with my progress. I did get a few chapters in of a gorgeous beta I'm reading - I love when I forget I'm supposed to be critiquing because I'm enjoying the story so much.

I hope to get a new version of the query up by the weekend, but I dunno. Tomorrow I'll be out of the house a lot, and I'll have to make phone calls when I'm home. We'll see.

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
Hi, my December was okay ... Yeah, just okay. I literally took two full weeks off writing to focus on my family. So now I'm back and got a great MOTIVATOR to start the new year, a rejection. It actually came like a day before Christmas Eve, but I read it Jan 2. So ...

My goal for January is 1000 a day and 3 queries for each rejection. I'm feeling good about my work and need to back it up with action.

Have a brilliant 2019!
Lucie

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Lucie - Great goals for the month.

Liz - Hugs on the life stuff. Hope it calms down soon. Awesome on the newsletters. I'm a subscriber, and I have enjoyed all of them. :)

I haven't done any writing yet, ugh. Got another freelance job on a tight deadline, so I am working today. But that's the only thing I am doing. ;) I also officially set up my goals for this quarter. It's a new method I am doing. It worked beautifully last quarter. :D

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Happy New Year everyone,

Congrats on all your accomplishments. Best wishes for a successful 2019.
LIZ - Hope your life stuff goes better then you're expecting.

December went alright, managed to get a couple thousand new words in. This week has been a bit slow in the writing. I figured out where to move a section of my story that I liked, but didn't work where it was. In addition I added five or six hundred new words. So, all in all, moving along.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Awesome, Lucie & Zan75 !

I'm plodding along with my freelance job. It's due 1/13. Pretty sure I'll make it.

Also need to get cracking on antho story revisions. Those are due 1/16.

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Wonder - Still on fire I see, nice

Saoirse - Did you make your deadline?

Thus starts a new week. Last week I wrote just shy of 2000 new words

- - - Updated - - -

Wonder - Still on fire I see, nice

Saoirse - Did you make your deadline?

Thus starts a new week. Last week I wrote just shy of 2000 new words

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I was hoping to have some progress to report before I joined this month's thread, but I'm still at zero for the year so far (aaaaaargh, it sounds so much worse when put like that).

ANYWAY well done everyone who is getting stuff done! :)

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Zan75 - I turned it in a day early. :) Nice work on those words.

OSG - I haven't written at all so far this year, so don't feel bad.

Finally got cracking on my short story revisions. I'm on page 11 of 29.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Finished the revisions and sent them off. I'm halfway done with the freelance job. I still need to copyedit a short story and maybe work on the BEP some....

Ye Gods, I just bought a new computer and I've used it for 4 days and today it refused to boot up. I bought it new from a reputable place. Tech Support says it's a freak occurrence. I have to send it out. I've been so spoiled by how fast it is that everything I do on this thing feels super slow. Ugh. But happy that I have a decent back up computer and cloud backups.