Status
Not open for further replies.

authorMAF

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authormaf.com
Hi!

Not sure if this is the right place to post - I looked over everywhere, and this seemed like the closest I could find. If it's not, I apologize!

So, while I've been published since 2017, and have a blog with Wordpress and a website with Wix, I wanted to finally get a website with my own domain name. However, I'm a bit at a loss as to where to start, and thought I'd ask here since people are always very kind and helpful!

A little bit of information beforehand:
- I live in Canada (not sure if this makes a difference, but it may)
- I wouldn't sell my books directly on my website - they would all link out to be bought on Amazon, Smashwords, etc.
- I'm looking for the cheapest possible, but I also don't want to throw a huge chunk of money right out, so I'd prefer a maximum of 12 months hosting at a time
- I already have the Wordpress Theme I'll be purchasing and using to build my website from (it's a theme purchased from Envato Market)

Bluehost is giving me the following price for 12 months hosting: 4.94$/month for a total of 59.40$ (this is likely USD)
GoDaddy is giving me the following price for 12 months hosting: 6.99$/month for a total of 83.88$ (confirmed this is CAD)

Are these really the cheapest prices around when it comes to hosting or am I missing something?

Any recommendations or advice is always appreciated! :D

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
First, I'm moving this to Tech help.

Second. Get the domain name first. Don't use the same company / business for domain name registration and hosting.

Third; are you planning on putting ads on your site other than links to purchase your own books?

If not, you might want to look at hosting at wordpress.com, using a paid plan. You can point your Wordpress.com site to your own domain, for about 40.00 a year.

authorMAF

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authormaf.com
First, I'm moving this to Tech help.

Second. Get the domain name first. Don't use the same company / business for domain name registration and hosting.

Third; are you planning on putting ads on your site other than links to purchase your own books?

If not, you might want to look at hosting at wordpress.com, using a paid plan. You can point your Wordpress.com site to your own domain, for about 40.00 a year.

Thank you! (and sorry about not putting it in the right category - I somehow missed the tech help :gone: )

Any recommendations on where to get the domain name first for cheapest?

I won't be putting ads on my site other than my own links to purchase my books, so I'll definitely look into hosting at wordpress.com - thank you for the advice!!! :)

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you! (and sorry about not putting it in the right category - I somehow missed the tech help :gone: )

Any recommendations on where to get the domain name first for cheapest?

I won't be putting ads on my site other than my own links to purchase my books, so I'll definitely look into hosting at wordpress.com - thank you for the advice!!! :)

Don't pay more than 15.00. Consider, strongly, paying the extra 10.00 or so for "private" registration, so that your address isn't publicly listed.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Make a list of domain names you'd be happy with, in case the most obvious one--yourname.com--is taken. And once you find the one you want, buy it; don't put it off and do it in a few days or anything. Squatters will watch what domains are being searched, and buy them up then more or less hold them for ransom.

authorMAF

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authormaf.com
Don't pay more than 15.00. Consider, strongly, paying the extra 10.00 or so for "private" registration, so that your address isn't publicly listed.
I bought the Personal Plan for the Wordpress hosting, but it seems as though to upload the theme I bought, I do need to buy the Premium plan instead (which is more like 120$ per year)

Make a list of domain names you'd be happy with, in case the most obvious one--yourname.com--is taken. And once you find the one you want, buy it; don't put it off and do it in a few days or anything. Squatters will watch what domains are being searched, and buy them up then more or less hold them for ransom.
Bought my domain name! I already knew what I wanted since it's the same for my email address, usernames, etc. - thought it would be simpler to keep it all the same! :D

Last edited:

Underdawg47

Registered
Reaction score
I bought the Personal Plan for the Wordpress hosting, but it seems as though to upload the theme I bought, I do need to buy the Premium plan instead (which is more like 120$ per year)

Bought my domain name! I already knew what I wanted since it's the same for my email address, usernames, etc. - thought it would be simpler to keep it all the same! :D

It is a lot cheaper to go with Bluehost as you hosting company and use Wordpress.org there. Wordpress.com as a hosting company doesn't allow you to upload plug-ins unless you have the premium plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.