What Drives You to Seek Trade Publishing?

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
Hi All,

Hope this is the right place for this but I wanted to ask this question in the rejection and dejection section. I am curious as to the reasons some prefer trade publishing in the new age of the industry. What attracts you to trade publishing in this day and age specifically? Is it to fulfill a lifelong dream, validation, a fear of self-publishing, the hope of fame and fortune, does your genre do best in trade?

This came up in a discussion with other writers. Some self-published and some unpublished and seeking trade deals. People shared their goals for the new year and discussed why they chose the path they chose and the specific reasons.

I used to be trade-published for years and I gotta be honest, it wasn't really about validation or anything. When I started you didn't have a choice but to get a big publisher. There weren't many small presses out there who handled what I wrote, self-publishing for ebooks wasn't even around (you had to print books physically yourself and hock them around plus there used to be a big stigma), you HAD to be in bookstores to sell. So for me, it was a necessity to try to get a trade deal and not a choice.

Things have changed a lot since then and writers have more options. So that makes me curious about people who still want trade deals and what drives that. I admire those who stick it out these days and try to get an agent or publisher because it's hard work and you never know if it will pay off. But, if it were me, I would've gone straight indie if I started out today. There would be more advantages for me. First off, I write books starring POC characters and that's hard to get deals for in publishing. Secondly, the types of genres I write in do well in self-publishing and in ebooks in general so being in a bookstore or any of the other traditional perks to trade publishing wouldn't help me with my audience. My audience are primary ebook readers (based on the genres) so having a print book in a bookstore wouldn't fit me this day and age. I don't know if I'd have the heart or patience to put search for an agent or pub like I did back in the day. It took me almost ten years to get published and with all the options these days, I can't see myself waiting that long. I look back and admire my determination. I'm no quitter, far from it but I don't know how I got through that period in time without going nuts. I am glad something kept me going. The drive to be published was always so important because I wanted to share stories I loved writing with people who might enjoy them. That drive hasn't changed.

So I think of how I might be if I were a newbie today and so I wondered what keeps you motivated to trade publish these days with it being so hard and such a slow process? What is it that drives you and have you ever been tempted to self-publish or try another route?

Happy New Year!:partyguy:

It all depends on what sort of writing you're doing. It sounds like self-publishing suits you perfectly, and I'm very glad that option exists. But for someone who wants, say, to start a career as a writer of literary fiction or mainstream non-fiction, going straight to self-publishing would be a big mistake. Those writers need the reviews, validation and visibility that comes with commercial publication. They also want their books available in libraries and brick-and-mortar bookstores and eligible for literary prizes.

In many ways the market itself is split. There are readers like yours, who want familiar books from a certain genre and will basically read anything in that genre, and readers who want to be taken somewhere they've never been before. Those straight-to-ebook writers can do well by cutting out the middleman (publisher), especially if they write series and produce a lot. But that's a whole different sort of career.

Jeneral

Cat wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
I went the trade publishing route, and I'm very glad I did. During the years that I was querying and my book was out on submission, I considered if I should have gone the self-pub route. I have a lot of friends who self-pub, to varying degrees of success. I personally think a lot of it comes down to hustle. If you're self-publishing, you're going up against a LOT of other people who are doing the same, and you'll have to work hard (and potentially invest a lot of money in your work) to stand out from the crowd. While self-publishing doesn't have the stigma it used to, the quality still runs the gamut from people who hire their own editors and cover artists, to those who slap their first draft up on Amazon. When you self-pub, especially when you don't have an existing readership like a hybrid author, you're a drop in a very big ocean, and you'll have to really hustle to get noticed.

I don't really have hustle. I love to write. Writing has been my hobby and my passion for as long as I can remember. So my goal has always been to get a trade deal, with editors and cover artists and marketing knowledge at my back. I love that I can do my edits and hand the MS off to the people who really know what they're doing, in order to make it a book. But at the same time, once I've released a book or two and hopefully have a little bit of a readership, I have my eye on self-publishing some stories that are a little on the quirky side, that might not get large-scale press backing.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I am not especially interested in becoming a publisher. I hardly have enough time to write let alone all that other stuff. I have self-published a few reverted works but only to a pretty basic standard.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I feel like the reasons why both are awesome have already been illustrated in this thread, and as someone who has trade published but helped her friends with self publishing, I honestly don't think one is better than the other. I think they each fulfill certain needs, and having choice is just so fantastic (especially in this industry).

But I guess what I want to add is kind of, I dunno, superficial. On top of everything people have said about why trade: having someone else do the work, access, reach etc. It's just . . . it's really fun. I'm a designer too, and have done tons of covers for friends and love creating stuff. But there is nothing quite like getting sent a cover made by someone else for your book. A cover that a ton of other people worked on, thought about, brainstormed, that's all for YOUR book. Ditto seeing the interior design and the whole finished product. It's the stuff of major butterflies in the stomach. It's Christmas morning. It's . . . just so so so fun. And very validating. Creating things for yourself is also very validating, and I love telling people when they praise a cover of one of my books that actually I designed it. But that feeling that a whole team are working on YOUR book . . . for me that's a small part of why I love trade. It's just so friggin' cool.

EvilPenguin

Registered
Reaction score
The biggest reason I want to seek trade publishing is for the resources and teamwork. I really want to seek out an agent that I feel comfortable discussing my books with and reaching out to if I run into any problems. I really want to work with an editor that can help fine-tune my novels. And I really don't want to have to deal the formatting, cover art, or setting up huge promotional events.

Now, I know that critique partners can sometimes be just as good, or even better, than an agent for discussing issues with books, and I do have a couple of people I can reach out to, but I'd really like to have someone that's been active in the publishing world on my team. And there are plenty of freelance editors, but I do not have the money to afford the type of edits I'd really want.

I actually attempted self-publishing years ago, and while the formatting part isn't that hard, I paid hundreds of dollars for a nice book cover (which I wouldn't be able to afford anymore) and I really sucked at promoting the book. I know I'd have to do some of my own promoting with trade publishing, but having an actual publicist to work with would make it so much easier.

ChibiUsagi

Banned
Reaction score
It all depends on what sort of writing you're doing. It sounds like self-publishing suits you perfectly, and I'm very glad that option exists. But for someone who wants, say, to start a career as a writer of literary fiction or mainstream non-fiction, going straight to self-publishing would be a big mistake. Those writers need the reviews, validation and visibility that comes with commercial publication. They also want their books available in libraries and brick-and-mortar bookstores and eligible for literary prizes.

In many ways the market itself is split. There are readers like yours, who want familiar books from a certain genre and will basically read anything in that genre, and readers who want to be taken somewhere they've never been before. Those straight-to-ebook writers can do well by cutting out the middleman (publisher), especially if they write series and produce a lot. But that's a whole different sort of career.

Exactly this.

I write literary fiction, I don’t really have a choice. I also want the prestige that comes with it, not to mention having a team behind me.

I’m sorry but being self published would just never satisfy the vision I have for my career.

I certainly don’t begrudge others who have a different vision.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Exactly this.

I write literary fiction, I don’t really have a choice. I also want the prestige that comes with it, not to mention having a team behind me.

I’m sorry but being self published would just never satisfy the vision I have for my career.

I certainly don’t begrudge others who have a different vision.
Do you mean that because you write litfic you don't have the option of self-pubbing? Of course you do. Or have I mis-read?

ChibiUsagi

Banned
Reaction score
Do you mean that because you write litfic you don't have the option of self-pubbing? Of course you do. Or have I mis-read?

It was kind of my understanding that self publishing only has a prayer in hell of working for genre fiction. I think romance and science fiction/fantasy are the two best selling self published genres. Don’t quote me on that, as it’s been a while since I’ve looked.

Literary fiction depends much more on critical reception, reviews, award nominations etc to be successful.

The people who buy it expect it to be published by a name they recognize and they expect to be able to buy it in a book store.

At least, that’s what I’ve always been told. But then again, I do work for “The man” so maybe it’s not the whole story.

Last edited:

freelancemomma

Registered
Reaction score
I seek trade pub for validation, pure and simple. I make good money as a freelance writer so I'm not in the book biz to make money. And while I enjoy marketing my freelance-writing services, marketing a self-pubbed book would do me in. It's just too personal. JMHO of course.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
I seek trade publication for several reasons:

Sales: I've been trade published and I've published reverted material through micro-presses. There is no comparison between sales.

Money: I like advance checks.

Marketing: I like having my books in book stores.

Reviews: Much easier to get reviews of trade published books. Too many reviewers do not take self-published books and those that do usually have a huge back-log of reviews.

Art/Editing/Design: While I've worked with some great editors and artists when I republish my stuff through a micro-press, I enjoy the fact that trade publishing pays the art department and editors rather than coming out of my pocket. (Sure, it's getting paid with the percentage the publisher gets paid from every sale, but that's an expense the publisher is recouping after the fact.)

Time: While I don't mind doing my share of promoting, every minute I'm doing publishing stuff is a minute I'm not writing and not being the fastest typer in the world, I need more time than the average bear to turn stuff around to get new stuff out there.

I was a big advocate of self-publishing/small press comics back in the 90s. Used to do it myself. However, most of the successful ones these days have migrated to the web and rely on fans helping support them and selling collections/artwork/collectables. I know publishing a comic took a LOT of work (coordinating art, dealing with printers, dealing with distributors, dealing with merchants, conventions, finances, accountants, etc. etc. etc.) I had a blast doing it, but that taught me I really do not ever want to be a full-time self-publisher again. I make a much better writer than I do a publisher and I'm content with that knowledge.

Other people thrive on that challenge and love the business side of publishing. For those who do, rock on with your bad selves. I admire your abilities and acknowledge you have something I don't have.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It was kind of my understanding that self publishing only has a prayer in hell of working for genre fiction. I think romance and science fiction/fantasy are the two best selling self published genres. Don’t quote me on that, as it’s been a while since I’ve looked.

Literary fiction depends much more on critical reception, reviews, award nominations etc to be successful.
That probably is still true if you're hoping to make a living writing literary fiction - but if you write because you write and lit fic is what you write and you're happy with that despite all the problems associated, self-publishing would be an option.

Your comment threw me because I read it more as SELF-PUBLISHING CLUBHOUSE! NO LITERARY FICTION ALLOWED! which seemed a bit - extreme... (I've been with children today.)

My mistake ;)

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
I see a ton of self-published lit fic in my reviewing job. It's usually people who just want to get their labor of love out there, as opposed to people who want to treat self-publishing as a business and make a living. Making those books sell is really hard for the reasons Chibi mentioned (lit fic readers don't find books that way). Also, a lot of these books need major work, because they're overwritten or lack a plot or a propulsive character arc, or they're the umpteenth coming-of-age novel with nice prose and no fresh angle. Or they're works of genius but really hard to describe and promote because they lack a hook. I did know one trade-published lit fic author who self-published starting with his third book and was doing well last I checked. He had a pre-existing audience and was canny in his choice of subjects, though (post apocalyptic stuff, World War II).

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I see a ton of self-published lit fic in my reviewing job. It's usually people who just want to get their labor of love out there, as opposed to people who want to treat self-publishing as a business and make a living. Making those books sell is really hard for the reasons Chibi mentioned (lit fic readers don't find books that way). Also, a lot of these books need major work, because they're overwritten or lack a plot or a propulsive character arc, or they're the umpteenth coming-of-age novel with nice prose and no fresh angle. Or they're works of genius but really hard to describe and promote because they lack a hook. I did know one trade-published lit fic author who self-published starting with his third book and was doing well last I checked. He had a pre-existing audience and was canny in his choice of subjects, though (post apocalyptic stuff, World War II).
TO be fair, a lot of the time it's not a work of genius. Or it's not lit fic at all, which is a thing that also happens. But my point was more that if you wanted to self-pub your lit fic, you can - though I agree with Chibi, that the more supported you are in your work, the better and trade publishing is generally a way to be more supported.

Last edited:

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com

The people who buy it expect it to be published by a name they recognize and they expect to be able to buy it in a book store.

At least, that’s what I’ve always been told. But then again, I do work for “The man” so maybe it’s not the whole story.

All true. S-P is great for highly productive genre series writers. It's useless for literary fiction...until and unless you've made a name for yourself as a published writer. Then it's a great venue for out-of-print books.

whiporee

Registered
Reaction score
8700 foot above sea level, 1500 miles from the oce
Website
www.abeachday.com
it's all validation for me -- that someone sees value and is willing to pay me for my work. While I know being a successful self-pubbed author is a lot of work, I also know that anyone can publish at Amazon or Apple or GoodReads or any other platform.

I've also edited my books a hundred times. I'd like to see someone else who has a real stake in it take a shot at making it better.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I would be hopelessly bad at being my own publisher, and I wouldn't enjoy that side of it at all. I only love the writing part.

This is true for me too. I haven't any background in marketing, cover design, promotion, publishing etc.

Plus, I really don't have the money to sink into editing, cover design, book design and promotion for a book that still might not sell. And the recommended marketing strategy for self publishers--to publish in much shorter chunks, every couple months, isn't too conducive for my preferred genre (secondary world fantasy).

I also think there's something to be said for getting some validation and experience on the trade-publishing side of things before trying to strike out on your own. How do I ever know my work is really publication quality if no one is willing to offer me money to publish it?

I'll also admit there's still that fantasy of seeing something I wrote shelved in a bookstore with a big, glossy cover and the logo of a well-recognized fantasy/SF imprint on its spine.

I think it's also true that different genres and marketing categories will have different potential success with self publishing. For instance, YA novels might have an issue reaching buyers if self published, since the target audience lacks access to credit cards to make online purchases. This may be an issue for MG also. Adults often buy books as gifts for younger kids, but are they more likely to purchase actual paper books, or do they buy e-books to send to tablets or phones for the kids on their gift lists?

Is this a thing? I don't know, and it's an example of the kinds of questions people should consider when deciding whether to attempt self publication of a book in a given genre or marketing category.

Last edited:

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
My 0.02c

Both Trade and Micro probably provide a shortcut to the concept of "Someone Else Has Looked At This Book Before Publishing". There is nothing like this anywhere else.

I suspect some clever person will come up with a verified "star" system for Self Published Books outside of reviews/previous author track record eventually. (I think you can BUY a Kirkus review). At the moment a Bookbub book can be thought of as something of a curated collection - last time I heard they wouldn't put anything completely rubbishy through their promotions system.

Until then, Trade Publishing is the only reliable first-glance indicator that I'm not going to be purchasing 500 pages of Lorem Ipsum.

That's why I'm seeking trade, I guess.

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
The question really needs to be flipped for me: why wouldn't I seek trade publication or, rather, why would I want to self-publish? All the 'advantages' people list are disadvantages, for me.

I want my books to be read. Nothing I've seen makes me think self-publishing is the best way to do that.

Atlantic12

Registered
Reaction score
I want to trade publish to see if I can do it. Not everybody can (for various reasons), and that's part of the dazzle and the challenge. Trade is where the up-front money is, it's where the big names are, and it's what I feel in my gut is where I want to be because I like working with a team of people who love books (and preferably, my book!). It's fun to be involved in this bigger process of getting books out there, and seeing how it's done.

I set the bar pretty high all along, not just wanting a publisher, but a *big* one, and not just an advance, but one I can sort of live off of, at least for a while. That's pretty much a recipe for frustration and disaster, and it took me years to have the confidence to show my work to anyone in the biz.

Once I did, I got so much warmth and enthusiasm and encouragement from people in the publishing world, it just cemented my determination. There are some really good, expert folks there, and I wanted to work with them.

Now that I am, everything I've experienced so far has confirmed what I learned and hoped for all along, even if there have been some rough moments. I've been meeting some amazing people who are helping me make my book better, and are excited to get it out into the world. I'm not paying them for this. They're paying me (okay, the advance is a loan, but I don't have to pay it back per se!). It feels good to know writing books is my job now, not just a hobby. I know my minimum income from fiction over the next 2 years because there's a payment schedule from my publisher for the advance and sub rights. I didn't have that kind of financial stability for my fiction before. It may be all I get if the book doesn't sell well, but at least I got what I'm getting! And there's always the promise of selling another book. It's all scary and exhilarating and sometimes overwhelming, but there are many people supporting me for this book. I'm thrilled they see the value in the kind of stuff I write. I'm glad to have this feeling now before the book comes out. Readers will have their own judgment, but I already know my book is good. More readers are likely to discover it if a publisher is backing it.

At the moment, I don't write what works well in the self published world, but I have this dream of one day writing about 30 Maigret-type crime novellas all in a year or two and getting them out there. Once I've trade published and hopefully made some kind of a name, why not? Self publishing is something I could always do whenever I want, and likely will do one day if it's right for me and the project.

Last edited:

Atlantic12

Registered
Reaction score
I think it's also true that different genres and marketing categories will have different potential success with self publishing. For instance, YA novels might have an issue reaching buyers if self published, since the target audience lacks access to credit cards to make online purchases. This may be an issue for MG also. Adults often buy books as gifts for younger kids, but are they more likely to purchase actual paper books, or do they buy e-books to send to tablets or phones for the kids on their gift lists?

Is this a thing? I don't know, and it's an example of the kinds of questions people should consider when deciding whether to attempt self publication of a book in a given genre or marketing category.

I'm always the person who buys books as gifts for kids of various ages, and I (and the kids, I suspect) would consider it a bit disappointing to gift an ebook directly. It's just not special. YA book covers are *amazing.* The sheer quality of some of the artwork blows my mind. I mean the texture of the paper, the way the lettering hits the light. It's that kind of sensory experience people should have with books, especially younger people. It goes without saying I always buy physical books for younger kids who like and need larger formats and art they can fall into.

The exception, obviously, is when I gift an Amazon card, or something. But who knows what they buy with that? When I want to give a book, I give a physical book.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Agree with Chibi and Barbara re self publishing litfic. And not just litfic, any novel with a literary edge. Self pub was my first choice, but the more I looked into it, the more I realised it was unsuitable for the kind of books I wanted to write. If you are any kind of literary, weird, experimental, or fall-between-genres, then you are likely better off going trade. If you like to write standalones, same deal. A quick look through the FAQs of the big self pub groups will give the same info: certain genres and certain styles self pub better, while others really only find success in trade pub. I don't know of anyone publishing straight-up litfic who actually makes a profit from it in the self pub world. Mainstream, yes, a few here and there; litfic, 0. Maybe I don't know the right people? I have to admit, I actually get really exasperated these days when I see self pubbers jumping on picture book authors or litfic authors with the advice to "just self publish". I mean, of course they can if they want, but I think it needs to be acknowledged that those categories generally don't make money as self pub books and authors need to go into that with their eyes open, not hoping against hope to be the exception among exceptions. IMO, a lot of the reasons people don't like trade publication mostly apply to debut authors, or the lower rungs of the ladder. Eg the strict word counts, the low initial advances, the querying and submisison process. As you get more established, word counts and subject matter become more negotiable, you either won't be querying or will generally have an easier time of it (maybe), and advances + sales build up over time. The more established an author is the more leeway they seem to get in terms of career control. But happy to be corrected if that's not others' experiences.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
IMO, a lot of the reasons people don't like trade publication mostly apply to debut authors, or the lower rungs of the ladder. Eg the strict word counts, the low initial advances, the querying and submisison process. As you get more established, word counts and subject matter become more negotiable, you either won't be querying or will generally have an easier time of it (maybe), and advances + sales build up over time. The more established an author is the more leeway they seem to get in terms of career control. But happy to be corrected if that's not others' experiences.

I'm often puzzled by the sorts of issues some pockets of the self-pub community hold up as huge trade pub negatives.

Like word counts: there are general word count ranges on novels not just because of print costs, but because that's what sells. (And yes, you can argue there's a chicken/egg thing there.) It's also more malleable in trade than a lot of people assume: 300,000 for a debut fantasy is a hard sell (but not an impossible one), but 140,000 is not. If you absolutely must have an 800,000 word multi-volume epic story, then yeah, you're probably better off throwing your energy into self-pub; but if you've got a well-told 300K novel, you're in longshot-but-not-impossible territory.

Low initial advances: Since self-publishing gets you no advances at all, I'm not even sure why people bring this up. Anecdotally, I know three people who had debut novels go to auction with the Big 5. The flip side is that a large initial advance doesn't guarantee you a damn thing for the one after that, and can in fact hurt you if the book doesn't do as well as expected.

I won't defend the querying and submission process, which is an ordeal. I've read more than one excellent self-pubbed book whose author has stated they kept being told by agents and trade pubs there was no good home for it. Self-pub is a good solution for a lot of situations. But for a lot of us, the querying/submission process is really trading time, energy, and angst for a sales and marketing machine with a bigger reach than most self-publishers are going to get. The biggest problem for every book that's published is visibility.

As for leeway and control...that may work for breakout authors like Rowling and King, but for most people it's not a thing. Trade publishing "success" is not linear at all. And based on my own experience - if you read a 2nd or 3rd book that feels more bloated or less polished than the first, that's almost certainly an issue of deadlines and not any particular leeway given to the author. Missing a deadline in trade can mean a release delay of a year, and as a newbie you really don't want to get into that situation. People remember.

Anyway. Just thinking that with all the good reasons to self-pub, it's odd to see people use fundamentally incorrect or irrelevant information to back up the idea. What's definitely true is that trade publishing "success" is not linear, it's not constant, and it's not guaranteed, no matter how well your first (or second, or third) book does.

It's also true that you can both trade publish and self-publish, and nobody these days is going to blink. There are advantages to both ways of publishing, and it's important to understand the practical pros and cons before you choose.

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
From what I’ve experienced and heard anecdotally, I’d say that leeway and control are ... elusive for most trade-published authors. You have to attain a pretty high level of success, and hold on to it. However, what you get in return for giving up a large measure of control* is incredibly valuable, especially for those of us who, as Harlequin says, fall between genres or don’t fit certain norms.

I’ve been browsing self-pub forums lately, and I’ve seen a lot of advice to use formulas and avoid any form of innovation or risk. In fact, some communities are downright contemptuous of writers who write with a personal vision in mind, and not solely to maximize income. That wouldn’t stop me from self-publishing; I think there are many good reasons to do it. But I wouldn’t expect to profit from a more literary-type book, and I wouldn’t expect to be embraced by the self-pub community. If trade pub is clubby and exclusive, various corners of the self-pub world can be the same, just for different reasons.

ETA: When I say “control,” I just want to note that I always felt like I had full control over the text of my book. I’ve seen self-pub advocates claim that editors will rewrite your book, and that seems rare-to-nonexistent from what I’ve heard. The lack of control more concerns stuff like “How will they market my book?” “When’s the release date?” “Will there even be a next book, and if so, will it be the book I want to write next?” “How much do I earn?” “How long will I wait for X important thing?” All the extratextual stuff.

Last edited:

balletomane

Registered
Reaction score
Many reasons. Firstly, I really value the input of my editor. She is very thoughtful and her comments and questions on my manuscripts have always helped me to enrich my writing. There doesn't seem to be any substitute for that relationship in the self-publishing world. Like other people here, I also dislike the business side of self-publishing, and I doubt I'd be any good at it either. I'm happy for other people to take care of marketing.

Finally, I am uncomfortable about the variable quality of self-published work. I know a couple of people who self-published when they didn't succeed in placing their work with a trade press. One of them showed me a sample chapter when she was still trying to find a traditional publisher, and I didn't know how to tell her tactfully that her work was just plain awful. It was memoir, but the writing was like something out of a high school homework exercise and there was no structure at all - it was just one long rambling rant about various people she'd disliked as a child. Now it's on Amazon. I know that many good writers have self-published, but I'd worry about being lumped in with those who are doing it because they can't write well. With the genres I write in I can't afford that.

Last edited:

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Economics and opportunities. I haven’t the money or time to produce a book myself, beyond writing. I want the best professional help I can get, and traditional publishers just seem to have better exposure.