The 2019 AW Book Reading Challenge! New year, new categories, new books and new friends

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome back Reading Challenge alums, and welcome all new comers. Are you ready? Oh, yeah. I’m ready. *rubs palms in expectation*

As in prior years, each us chooses 12 books from the list of categories below to read and discuss throughout the year. We each read our own 12, unless you have titles in common and want to discuss; some of us do that sometimes. Join any time during the year, and sorry, no cash or prizes for finishing first. The only rule is to have fun.

Please read the sticky in this forum regarding spoilers.

All right. We’ve waited long enough. Here we go:

1. I remember that!: A book about a historical event that took place in your lifetime.
  2. That old black magic: A paranormal novel.
  3. Top of the heap: A book on any Top Whatever list.
  4. What you will read to your grandchildren: A children's book (middle grade or younger).
  5. East meets West: A book taking place in Asia (Turkey to Japan, Siberia to Vietnam)
  6. Just the (alternative) facts, Ma’am: An alternate history.
  7. Doorstoppers: A book more than 600 pages.
  8. Be the change you want to see: A book about a sociopolitical issue.
  9. Best friend: A book with a dog on the cover.
  10. The heart and mind of a writer: An author memoir or collection of essays by an author.
  11. Anyward, ho!: A travel novel (any genre, including non-fiction).
  12. Alma mater matters: A book about or taking place on a college or university campus.
  13. Learn the Quadrille: A regency romance.
  14. Crossing the (color) lines: A book about a person of color (PoC), any variety, written by an author of the same variety.
  15. One more try: A book from a genre you have given up on.
  16. By its cover: A book you know nothing about, chosen solely by the FRONT cover (no reading the jacket flap, back cover blurb, or reviews).
  17. Back in the day: A historical of any genre.
  18. Do you deliver?: A book where food, cooking, restaurants, chefs, etc. play a major role.
  19. Support the home team: A book by a fellow AWer (Check people’s sigs, or this thread might help: https://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?215354-What-AWer-book-are-you-currently-reading).
  20. Do you read about the land down under?: A book about or taking place in Australia, New Zealand or Pacific Islands.
  21. Steady there, cowboy: A western.
  22. The sporting life: A book with an athlete main character, or about sports.
  23. The butler might have done it: A mystery.
  24. Down on the farm: A book featuring farmers, agriculture, or taking place in an agrarian setting.
  25. Flights of fancy: A book in which airplanes figure prominently.
  26. Better known for . . .: A book by someone who’s more famous for something other than writing.
  27. Halcyon days: A bestseller or book published the year you turned 21 (or 12 if you aren’t yet 21 :D). This list should help you: https://lithub.com/here-are-the-biggest-fiction-bestsellers-of-the-last-100-years/
  28. Keep up with the Joneses: A book everyone else seems to have read but you have not.
  29. You might also like. . .: A book recommended by someone real, or by a bot.
  30. QUILTBAG: A book with a major LGBTQ+ character or about an LGBTQ+ issue.
  31. Tag team: A book by more than one author.
  32. Takin’ care o’ business: A book taking place in a corporate setting, or about a business, or about a business leader.
  33. Happy days are here again: A book published between 1945 and 1960.
  34. Ye olde booke shoppe: A book written before 1800.
  35. No hablo: A book originally written in another language (i.e., a translation).
  36. Metrosensual: A romance set in a major city.
  37. Read it again, Sam: Reread a book you have already read.
  38. My hometown: A book by a local author.
  39. Tuesdays with Balaam’s Ass: A book with a non-human (animal or fantastic creature) main character.
  40. Out of Africa: A book taking place in Africa (including North Africa).
  41. Locked up: A book taking place in a prison, mental institution or treatment center.
  42. Literary literal alliteration: A book whose title or author’s name is an alliteration.
  43. Still time for more chapters: A memoir/biography by/about someone who’s still alive (as of January 1).
  44. Backlist delight: Read a lesser-known book from the back catalog of a best-selling author.
  45. Who was that, again?: A book about a person you know little about.
  46. Be your own boss: A self-published novel.
  47. Succinct: A book with a one-word title.
  48. Matryoshka books: A book mentioned or discussed inside another book.
  49. What you read: A book you loved as a child.
  50. I’ve met them!: A book by someone you have seen in person (either know, seen at a book fair, heard at a speaking engagement, in line at the ATM, whatever).

Happy reading everyone, and thanks for taking part!

Last edited:

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It looks like this year will be one where I get caught up on a lot of older books I should have read long ago, but never did. Better late than never! So, after using a random number generator to select my categories (okay, I made a couple substitutions), I have:

2. That old black magic: A paranormal novel. The Ocean at the End of the Lane - Neil Gaiman
7. Doorstoppers: A book more than 600 pages. Mexico - James Michener
13. Learn the Quadrille: A regency romance. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
14. Crossing the (color) lines: A book about a person of color (PoC), any variety, written by an author of the same variety. Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, An American Slave - Frederick Douglass
17. Back in the day: A historical of any genre. My Name is Red - Orhan Pamuk
19. Support the home team: A book by a fellow AWer. A Dangerous Fiction - Barbara Rogan
24. Down on the farm: A book featuring farmers, agriculture, or taking place in an agrarian setting. Charlotte's Web - E. B. White
27. Halcyon days: A bestseller or book published the year you turned 21. The English Patient - Michael Ondaatji
29. You might also like. . .: A book recommended by someone real, or by a bot. Where the Crawdads Sing - Delia Owens
33. Happy days are here again: A book published between 1945 and 1960. Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury
37. Read it again, Sam: Reread a book you have already read. Freedom - Jonathan Franzen
43. Still time for more chapters: A memoir/biography by/about someone who’s still alive (as of January 1). Educated - Tara Westover

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Here's my pick:

I remember that!: A book about a historical event that took place in your lifetime.

The Bridge by Enza Gandolfo. It's a novel about the collapse of the West Gate Bridge, Melbourne, during construction in 1970.

That old black magic: A paranormal novel.

Dyschronia by Jennifer Mills. This could fit into paranormal, alternative history, one word title and/or interesting front cover.

East meets West: A book taking place in Asia (Turkey to Japan, Siberia to Vietnam)

On the Java Ridge by Jock Serong. Another book that could fit into a few categories. Set in the Timor Sea between Sumba (Indonesia) and Ashmore Reef (Australia), it's about Australia's refugee policy.

Be the change you want to see: A book about a sociopolitical issue.

No Friend But The Mountain: Writing from Manus Prison by Behrouz Boochani. On the subject of our disgraceful and inhumane refugee policy...Behrouz Boochani is a Kurdish-Iranian journalist held on Manus Island. https://www.theguardian.com/austral...sland-and-the-book-written-one-text-at-a-time

Crossing the (color) lines: A book about a person of color (PoC), any variety, written by an author of the same variety.

Too Much Lip by Melissa Lucashenko.

Do you read about the land down under?: A book about or taking place in Australia, New Zealand or Pacific Islands.

Flames by Robbie Arnott. Set in Tasmania.

The butler might have done it: A mystery.

White Night by Anne Cleeves. The second book in the Shetland series.

Down on the farm: A book featuring farmers, agriculture, or taking place in an agrarian setting.

The Lost Man by Jane Harper. Crime story set on a cattle station in outback Queensland.

Better known for . . .: A book by someone who’s more famous for something other than writing.

Cedar Valley by Holly Throsby. Throsby is a talented musician and this is her second novel.

No hablo: A book originally written in another language (i.e., a translation).

Drive Your Plow Over The Bones of The Dead by Olga Tokarczuk. An 'existential thriller', translated from Polish.

Still time for more chapters: A memoir/biography by/about someone who’s still alive (as of January 1).

Grant & I by Robert Forster. Musician Forster's memoir about his time in the Go-Betweens.

I’ve met them!:
A book by someone you have seen in person (either know, seen at a book fair, heard at a speaking engagement, in line at the ATM, whatever).

The Distant Echo by Val McDermid. Crime!

Last edited:

yesandno

stagnationtown
Registered
Reaction score
Yay! Happy New Year! I've picked my categories and chosen some of the books. Will fill in the blanks when I find the right books.

1. East meets west: A book taking place in Asia - TBD
2. Be the change you want to see: A book about a sociopolitical issue - TBD
3. The heart and mind of a writer: An author memoir or collection of essays by an author - Consider the Lobster by David Foster Wallace
4. Crossing the color lines: A book about a person of color. - The Ballad of Black Tom by Victor Lavalle also qualifies for "One more try."
5. One more try: A book from a genre you have given up on. - The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers (fantasy)
6. Do you deliver?: A book where food, cooking, restaurants, chefs, etc. play a major role. - With Bold Fork and Knife by M.F.K. Fisher
7. Halcyon Days: A book published the year you turned 21. - London Fields by Martin Amis
8. Keep up with the Joneses: A book everyone else seems to have read but you have not. - The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon
9. No Hablo: A book originally written in another language. - My Discovery of America by Vladimir Mayakovsky
10. Read it again, Sam: Reread a book you have already read. - One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovitch by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
11. Matryoschka books: A book mentioned or discussed inside another book. - The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barberry
12. I've met them: A book by someone you know - The Wallcreeper by Nell Zink

Last edited:

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Great titles, everyone! I've not read any of them. Looks like another exciting year of exploring the world of books.

I'm starting off with Jonathan Franzen's Freedom. I read about half of it a few years ago, and gave up on it when I found myself hating all three main characters although I was taken by the writing and really wanted to like the book. However, I have more selish reasons for reading it. My current writing project is based on Sinclair Lewis's Main Street, the plots of all three books (Main Street, Freedom and mine) are similar enough I want to, on one hand, see successful examples of how to do it, and two, make sure I've not been "unduly inspired by" (i.e., be seen as riping off) Franzen.

Last edited:

Verboten

Registered
Reaction score
I wrote this and posted and my computer didn't save it. So, let's try again. I decided to just pick random numbers. I think I'll start with Poisonwood Bible.

1. A book on any top whatever list: The Mars Room by Rachel Kushner
2. Just the (alternative) facts Ma'am: Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke
3. Do you deliver: Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain
4. Alma Matter: The Secret History by Donna Tartt
5. Down on the Farm: Giants in the Earth by O.E. Rolvaag
6. My hometown: Hunger by Roxane Gay
7. Out of Africa: Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese
8. By it's cover: Unholy Land by Lavre Tidhar
9. Best Friend: Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
10. The Heart and Mind of a Writer: Happiness by Heather Harpham
11. Keep up with the Joneses: Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
12. QUILTBAG: Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Great list, Verboten! The Donna Tartt one was nearly on my list. Roxanne Gay is someone I really shoild read; let me know what you think. Also let me know what you think of Cutting for Stone. I got less than 50 pages into it before shouting "Oh, please!" and flinging it far, far away. I seem to be the only person who didn't like it, but I'm willing to reconsider if someone puts it in a good light.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
::rubs hands together gleefully:

6. Just the (alternative) facts, Ma'am: Everfair by Nisi Shawl
9. Best friend: Lily and the Octopus by Steven Rowley
10. The heart and mind of a writer: Congratulations, By the Way by George Saunders
11. Anyward, ho! The Old Ways: A Journey on Foot by Robert McFarlane
27. Halcyon Days: Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison
28. Keep up with the Joneses: Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
29. You might also like... Behind the Throne: A Domestic History of the British Royal Household by Adrian Tinniswood
31. Tag team: The Talisman by Stephen King and Peter Straub
35. No hablo: The Weaver by Emmi Itaranta
39: Tuesdays with Balaam's Ass: Bird Sense: What It's Like to Be a Bird by Tim Birkhead
42. Literary literal alliteration: The Urban Bestiary: Encountering the Everyday Wild by Lyanda Lynn Haupt
47: Succinct: Floodpath by John Wilkman

A lot of books I've already read are appearing on others' lists, so I'm looking forward to discussing those. Chris P, thanks again for hosting this thread!

Tocotin

deceives
Registered
Reaction score
This looks very fun and I'm going to join this year. Hi everyone! :troll

2. That old black magic: A paranormal novel. Dracula in Rokumeikan* by Hagi Kōsuke. (The title says it all, but the setting is a twist. Rokumeikan Pavilion was a building in the 19th century Tokyo, famous as a symbol of Westernization of Japan.)
7. Doorstoppers: A book more than 600 pages. The Books of Jacob* by Olga Tokarczuk. (912 pages. Not an e-book. I got it from my family 2 years ago or so, haven’t read it yet for fear of breaking my wrist.)
11. Anyward, ho!: A travel novel (any genre, including non-fiction). Beasts, Men and Gods* by Ferdynand Antoni Ossendowski. (It’s an account of the attempt of an escape from Communist-controlled Siberia to India through Mongolia, China and Tibet in the 1920s. I have a hardcover edition of this book with beautiful color pictures!)
13. Learn the Quadrille: A Regency romance. Band Sinister by K.J. Charles. (I want to see how historical romances are done, this is the first I’ve bought, and it happens to be a Regency one and I’ve never read a Regency romance. I’m quite thrilled.)
14. Crossing the (color) lines: A book about a person of color (PoC), any variety, written by an author of the same variety. We Need New Names by NoViolet Bulawayo. (I love the author’s name and agree with the title, too.)
17. Back in the day: A historical of any genre. The Age of Desire by Jennie Fields. (A novel about Edith Wharton, who is one of my favorite writers.)
29. You might also like…: A book recommended by someone real, or by a bot. Hild by Nicola Griffith. (Recommended by a friend! Nothing against bots, of course.) FINISHED
30. QUILTBAG: A book with a major LGBTQ+ character or about an LGBTQ+ issue. As Music and Splendour by Kate O’Brien. (It’s a historical novel about two friends, opera singers in the 19th century; one of them is a lesbian.) FINISHED
34. Ye olde booke shoppe: A book written before 1800. The Taiheiki: A Chronicle of Medieval Japan, translated by Helen Craig McCullough. (I don’t particularly care for samurai or war tales, but there’s no popular Japanese culture without Taiheiki, my MC would have known it, I feel that I can’t avoid it any more.)
35. No hablo: A book originally written in another language (i.e., a translation). Noodle Maker by Ma Jian. (He’s one of my favorite writers since I’ve read Red Dust. The thing is, I’d put Noodle Maker somewhere and just can’t seem to find it. I’ve just turned half of the house upside down and no Noodle Maker. I might have to replace it with another book of his – if I can get another translation. ---> ETA: I've found it! That is, my family found it for me. YEAH)
37. Read it again, Sam: Reread a book you have already read. The Petty Demon* by Fyodor Sologub. (I love this book to pieces. It is a stellar example of a completely engrossing story with an unlikable protagonist.)
47. Succinct: A book with a one-word title. Bitter by Francesca Jakobi. (It’s a contemporary novel; I don’t read contemporary books often and I can’t remember why I bought this one, but it’s on my Kindle…)

*not in English

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Thanks for another interesting challenge list!

My picks (subject to substitution):

1. That old black magic: A paranormal novel. - Lockwood & Co.: The Whispering Skull, Jonathan Stroud
  2. What you will read to your grandchildren: A children's book (middle grade or younger). - The Name Of This Book Is Secret, Pseudonymous Bosch
  3. Just the (alternative) facts, Ma’am: An alternate history. - Bitter Seeds, Ian Tregillis
  4. By its cover: A book you know nothing about, chosen solely by the FRONT cover (no reading the jacket flap, back cover blurb, or reviews). - For a Muse of Fire, Heidi Heilig
  5. Back in the day: A historical of any genre. - The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate, Jacqueline Kelly
  6. You might also like. . .: A book recommended by someone real, or by a bot. - Skyward, Brandon Sanderson
  7. QUILTBAG: A book with a major LGBTQ+ character or about an LGBTQ+ issue. The Tiger's Daughter, K. Arsenault Rivera
  8. My hometown: A book by a local author. - Discount Armageddon, by Seanan McGuire
  9. Tuesdays with Balaam’s Ass: A book with a non-human (animal or fantastic creature) main character. - Endling, by Katherine Applegate
  10. Who was that, again?: A book about a person you know little about. - Born a Crime, Trevor Noah
  11. Succinct: A book with a one-word title. - Spellslinger, Sebastien de Castell
  12. What you read: A book you loved as a child. - Fur Magic, Andre Norton

In addition, I'm setting myself an extra credit challenge - affectionately titled "Get On With It, Already!" - to read sequels/next installments of series I've started and keep meaning to follow up on. (This does not include series like The Expanse, which I seem to be getting to without additional prompting; these are titles I have accumulated in series I enjoy, but for some reason haven't prioritized reading.) In addition to any mentioned in the main challenge, I intend to get to, in no specific order:

1 - The Tropic of Serpents, Marie Brennan (Book 2 of the Memoirs of Lady Trent)
2 - The Wall of Storms, Ken Liu (Book 2 of the Dandelion Dynasty)
3 - The Shadow Throne, Django Wexler (Book 2 of the Shadow Campaigns)
4 - The Infinite Sea, Rick Yancey (Book 2 of the 5th Wave trilogy)
5 - Morning Star, Pierce Brown (Book 3 of the Red Rising series)
6 - Arabella and the Battle of Venus, David D. Levine (Book 2 of the Arabella of Mars series)
7 - The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There, Catherynne M. Valente (Book 2 of the Fairyland series)
8 - Across the Great Barrier, Patricia C. Wrede (Book 2 of the Frontier Magic series)
9 - The Alloy of Law, Brandon Sanderson (a Mistborn novel)
10 - Legion of Flame, Anthony Ryan (Book 2 of the Draconis Memoria series)
11 - Green Mars, Kim Stanley Robinson (Book 2 of the Mars trilogy)
12 - Binti: Home, Nnedi Okorafor (Book 2 of the Binti trilogy)

Now, to finish off my current reads so I can get started...

Last edited:

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cleaning out my To-Read drawer and boxes for this year. Mostly the drawer and the first box I got my hands on. I'm hoping this year's list will be easier than last year's, which was extremely challenging -- but worth it -- for me.

4. What you will read to your grandchildren: A children's book (middle grade or younger).
A Swiftly Tilting Planet, Madeleine L’engle
Picked because it's been hanging around here for a while and I want to see what's going on with the Murry kids.

5. East meets West: A book taking place in Asia (Turkey to Japan, Siberia to Vietnam)
The Last Samurai, the Life and Battles of Saigo Takamori, by Mark Ravina
Japanese history.

6. Just the (alternative) facts, Ma’am: An alternate history.
The Years of Rice and Salt, Kim Stanley Robinson
What if all of Caucasian Europe had died during the Great Plague?

9. Best friend: A book with a dog on the cover.
Being a Dog, Alexandra Horowitz
Loved her previous book, Inside a Dog.

14. Crossing the (color) lines: A book about a person of color (PoC), any variety, written by an author of the same variety.
The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, N.K. Jemison
Wanted to read this author for a while.

17. Back in the day: A historical of any genre.
A Murder in Thebes, Anna Apostolou
Alexander the Great turns amateur detective!

18. Do you deliver?: A book where food, cooking, restaurants, chefs, etc. play a major role.
American Pie, Pascale Le Draoulec
A gift from a now-deceased friend.

25. Flights of fancy: A book in which airplanes figure prominently.
Jet Age, Sam Howe Verhovek.
The rivalry between the British Comet passenger jet and the Boeing 707.

28. Keep up with the Joneses: A book everyone else seems to have read but you have not.
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Hunter S. Thompson
I don't know what I will find in here.

39. Tuesdays with Balaam’s Ass: A book with a non-human (animal or fantastic creature) main character.
Tales from Watership Down, Richard Adams
Talking rabbits.

48. Matryoshka books: A book mentioned or discussed inside another book.
Reading Lolita in Teheran, Azar Nafisi
Self-explanatory.

49. What you read: A book you loved as a child.
A Wizard of Earthsea, Ursula K. LeGuin
How did this one hold up through my adult eyes?

SophK

Registered
Reaction score
Happy New Year all! This is my first time at a challenge and this list is excellent, hoping to clear a big space on my TBR shelf with it. A good few of mine seem to be classics, but they have to be read regardless so here goes:

3.Top of the heap: A book on any Top Whatever list. - House of Leaves by Mark L Danielewski (On 1001 Books to read before you die list)
7. Doorstoppers: A book more than 600 pages. - Bleak House by Charles Dickens
10.The heart and mind of a writer: An author memoir or collection of essays by an author. - Cultural Amnesia by Clive James
13. Learn the Quadrille: A regency romance. - Mansfield Park by Jane Austen
17. Back in the day: A historical of any genre. - Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott
27. Halcyon days: A bestseller or book published the year you turned 21 - The Penelopiad by Margaret Atwood
33. Happy days are here again: A book published between 1945 and 1960. - Memento Mori by Muriel Spark (1959)
35. No hablo: A book originally written in another language (i.e., a translation). - Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
37. Read it again, Sam: Reread a book you have already read. - Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry
42. Literary literal alliteration: A book whose title or author’s name is an alliteration. - The Ringed Castle (Lymond Chronicles #5) by Dorothy Dunnett
45. Who was that, again?: A book about a person you know little about. - Memoirs of Hadrian by Marguerite Yourcenar
47. Succinct: A book with a one-word title. - Hawksmoor by Peter Ackroyd

I promised myself I'd start with Bleak House, since it's January and appropriately bleak outside!

Last edited:

Verboten

Registered
Reaction score
Great list, Verboten! The Donna Tartt one was nearly on my list. Roxanne Gay is someone I really shoild read; let me know what you think. Also let me know what you think of Cutting for Stone. I got less than 50 pages into it before shouting "Oh, please!" and flinging it far, far away. I seem to be the only person who didn't like it, but I'm willing to reconsider if someone puts it in a good light.

I've read Goldfinch and really liked it, do I'm excited to read another one of hers. I'll definitely make sure to do reviews for my books this year! That's a goal.

SophK

Registered
Reaction score
I've read Goldfinch and really liked it, do I'm excited to read another one of hers. I'll definitely make sure to do reviews for my books this year! That's a goal.

All this talk of The Secret History makes me want to swap out my re-read for it. It was brilliant, enjoy!

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
All this talk of The Secret History makes me want to swap out my re-read for it. It was brilliant, enjoy!

It was a tough choice! I had several of those. No sooner had I downloaded Charlotte's Web, I got my daily BoobkBub offer that had On The Farm by John Updike, who's one of the heroes of my genre. I ended up getting both anyway. They'll all get read!

Verboten

Registered
Reaction score
Happy New Year all! This is my first time at a challenge and this list is excellent, hoping to clear a big space on my TBR shelf with it. A good few of mine seem to be classics, but they have to be read regardless so here goes:

3.Top of the heap: A book on any Top Whatever list. - House of Leaves by Mark L Danielewski (On 1001 Books to read before you die list)
7. Doorstoppers: A book more than 600 pages. - Bleak House by Charles Dickens
10.The heart and mind of a writer: An author memoir or collection of essays by an author. - Cultural Amnesia by Clive James
13. Learn the Quadrille: A regency romance. - Mansfield Park by Jane Austen
17. Back in the day: A historical of any genre. - Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott
27. Halcyon days: A bestseller or book published the year you turned 21 - The Penelopiad by Margaret Atwood
33. Happy days are here again: A book published between 1945 and 1960. - Memento Mori by Muriel Spark (1959)
35. No hablo: A book originally written in another language (i.e., a translation). - Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
37. Read it again, Sam: Reread a book you have already read. - Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry
42. Literary literal alliteration: A book whose title or author’s name is an alliteration. - The Ringed Castle (Lymond Chronicles #5) by Dorothy Dunnett
45. Who was that, again?: A book about a person you know little about. - Memoirs of Hadrian by Marguerite Yourcenar
47. Succinct: A book with a one-word title. - Hawksmoor by Peter Ackroyd

I promised myself I'd start with Bleak House, since it's January and appropriately bleak outside!

Interested to hear your take on House of Leaves. I really want to read this book, but every time I pick it up I can't get through it.

SophK

Registered
Reaction score
Interested to hear your take on House of Leaves. I really want to read this book, but every time I pick it up I can't get through it.

Yes it looks like it's going to take a bit of concentration, what with all the footnotes and scribbles up the sides. And from what I hear, one to be read in the daytime!

Last edited:

SophK

Registered
Reaction score
It was a tough choice! I had several of those. No sooner had I downloaded Charlotte's Web, I got my daily BoobkBub offer that had On The Farm by John Updike, who's one of the heroes of my genre. I ended up getting both anyway. They'll all get read!

I'll have to try and remember it for next year. I don't know about you but I could fill up the whole year with re-reads if allowed to, so try and limit how many I get to have.

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
Great list! I need time to choose my categories and lists, but I'll post my choices soon.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Woo hoo! I just figured out how to do the 2018 AW BRC a few days ago. Can't wait to study the categories. Thank you, Chris, for all your work on this thread!

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
I'm back in for this year :)

Last year I tried to do this in addition to my book club and didn't really pull it off. Doubling up for my replacements worked far better, so I'm going to do that as much as possible this year. I've put in as many of our current choices as I could (about half the list), and I'm going to try and get some of my other choices on the list for the club :D

2. That old black magic: Storm Front by Jim Butcher
3. Top of the heap: The Outsider by Stephen King (B&N Top 100 Bestsellers, 2018)
6. Just the (alternative) facts, Ma’am: The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick
14. Crossing the (color) lines: The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
17. Back in the day: The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah
23. The butler might have done it: A is for Alibi by Sue Grafton
27. Halcyon days: Timeline by Michael Crichton (published November 1999)
29. You might also like. . .: Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan (recommended on a list when I was looking for futuristic mysteries last year)
33. Happy days are here again: Ordeal by Innocence by Agatha Christie
31. Tag team: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
35. No hablo: The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
47. Succinct: Redshirts by John Sclazi

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
This is my reading challenge for 2019:

1. Read it again, Sam: Memoirs of an invisible man, by H.F. Saint
2. Doorstoppers: Tombland by C. J. Sansom
3. Anyward, ho! The Snow Leopard by Peter Matthiessen
4. Who was that again? Alfred the Great by David Horspool
5. East meets West: The Lord of Death by Eliot Pattison
6. I remember that! La furia y el silencio: Asturias primavera de 1962 by Jorge M. Reverte
7. The butler might have done it: Heresy by S.J. Parris
8. Do you read about the land down under: Capricornia by Xavier Herbert
9. Succinct: She by Rider Haggard
10. Keeping up with the Joneses: Sapiens: A brief history of humankind by Yuval Noah Harari
11. Just the (alternative) facts, Ma’am: The Criminal Conversation of Mrs Norton by Diane Atkinson
12. Back in the day: TBD. Either Queen of tears by W.H. Wilkins (in two volumes) OR A Great and Terrible King: Edward I and the Forging of Britain by Marc Morris.

Quite a few of these books are also lengthy doorstoppers, so I really don´t see myself doing a second challenge this year.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Started on The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, by N.K. Jemison. It's unlike any fantasy book I've ever read, which is a credit to the author. I find it a little Vancian (as in Jack Vance) but without the crispness... fantasy-science, as opposed to science-fantasy. The narrative voice is reminiscent of one used for African folktales. I'm enjoying it but at the same time puzzled by it. It's a strange beast.

Verboten

Registered
Reaction score
Started on The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, by N.K. Jemison. It's unlike any fantasy book I've ever read, which is a credit to the author. I find it a little Vancian (as in Jack Vance) but without the crispness... fantasy-science, as opposed to science-fantasy. The narrative voice is reminiscent of one used for African folktales. I'm enjoying it but at the same time puzzled by it. It's a strange beast.

I'm actually reading the Broken Earth series by this author right now. About half way through the first book.

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like being puzzled by a book can mean it's either going to blow you away, or you're going to finish it with a "Huh?"

I'm now past the part in Freedom where I stopped reading last time. I still love the book, but still hate every single character in it.