The 2019 AW Book Reading Challenge! New year, new categories, new books and new friends

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys! I post small reviews on my LibraryThing account, but I'll try to post more descriptive ones on here for the remainder. And yes, I'm going for one out of each category. I read voraciously, it's what keeps me *somewhat* sane! ;)

Thanks for the recommendations! I've read Things Fall Apart and Heart and Darkness (and seen Apocalypse Now) but some of these are golden. I'll have money for book orders next month, so I should be able to get some more! :D

I'm also big on OpenLibrary- great resource, so I'll see if I can snag any copies there.

Last edited:

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas. Great book! High schooler Starr Carter gets a ride home from a party by her friend Khalil, but gets pulled over by a lone white police officer. A youthful mistake while the cop's back is turned costs Khalil his life while Starr watches. Starr and her stepbrothers attend a nearly all white private school far from their impoverished black neighborhood, and Starr must navigate the double life being not too black at school while she is pressured to be more black, outraged and vocal about Khalil's murder at home. What can she say about Khalil's murder to kids who's biggest drama is whether or not Pop-Tarts can be microwaved? How can she tell the neighborhood kids the uppity white kids, on of which is her boyfriend, are her friends? Can she trust the cops, the DA, the grand jury? This is as much a coming of age novel as it is about the social injustices, where Starr learns to adult up into empathy while recognizing that good people do bad things for reasons they think are good, and recognize the stuckness and brokenness of all people. Is Khalil a drug dealer, or a scared kid trying to pay off a debt his family owes in the only ways open to him? Perhaps he's both. Is Starr's boyfriend Chris a kindly soul who truly cares, or just another clueless rich white kid? Perhaps he's both. We are treated to Starr's own inner dialog as she gets swept up in things she thinks are wrong, showing us how these types of decisions can be made by otherwise decent people.

The pace could have used a boost here and there. I think the author was trying to show a typical teen life of video games, school dances and music contrasted against the deep tragedies of murder by cop, gang violence and intimidation, and poverty. I really felt like I knew the characters, but the story dragged here and there.

9. Best friend: A book with a dog on the cover. Unsaid - Neil Abramson
16. By its cover: A book you know nothing about, chosen solely by the FRONT cover (no reading the jacket flap, back cover blurb, or reviews). Happiness - Aminatta Forna Done 7/23/2019
24. Down on the farm: A book featuring farmers, agriculture, or taking place in an agrarian setting. Of the farm - John Updike
28. Keep up with the Joneses: A book everyone else seems to have read but you have not. The Hate U Give - Angie Thomas Done 8/6/19
34. Ye olde booke shoppe: A book written before 1800. Gulliver's Travels - Jonathan Swift Done 7/8/19
41. Locked up: A book taking place in a prison, mental institution or treatment center. Papillon - Henri Charriere

2. That old black magic: A paranormal novel. The Ocean at the End of the Lane - Neil Gaiman Done 3/4/2019
7. Doorstoppers: A book more than 600 pages. Mexico - James Michener Done 2/28/2019
13. Learn the Quadrille: A regency romance. A Wicked Kind of Husband - Mia Vincy Done 1/26/2019
14. Crossing the (color) lines: A book about a person of color (PoC), any variety, written by an author of the same variety. Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, An American Slave - Frederick Douglass Done 1/14/19
17. Back in the day: A historical of any genre. My Name is Red - Orhan Pamuk Done 4/18/19
19. Support the home team: A book by a fellow AWer. A Dangerous Fiction - Barbara Rogan Done 3/15/19
24. Down on the farm: A book featuring farmers, agriculture, or taking place in an agrarian setting. Charlotte's Web - E. B. White Done 1/17/19
27. Halcyon days: A bestseller or book published the year you turned 21. The English Patient - Michael Ondaatji Done 6/24/19
29. You might also like. . .: A book recommended by someone real, or by a bot. Less - Andrew Sean Greer Done 7/2/19
33. Happy days are here again: A book published between 1945 and 1960. Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury Done 5/13/19
37. Read it again, Sam: Reread a book you have already read. Freedom - Jonathan Franzen Done 1/14/19
43. Still time for more chapters: A memoir/biography by/about someone who’s still alive (as of January 1). Educated - Tara Westover Done 5/30/19

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
For That Old Black Magic challenge (a paranormal novel) I finished Charles DickensBest Ghost Stories, which I found very disappointing. I hadn’t read any Dickens in decades, so I’d forgotten his slow, verbose, rambling style, which may work in a novel, but is all wrong IMHO for short stories intended to be scary or at least exciting. Most of the stories were tedious, some were incoherent and seem unfinished, and none were particularly scary. The best one, unsurprisingly, was his classic A Christmas Carol. Altogether, rather a frustrating waste of my time.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

One more down:

Still Time for More Chapters: Sing for Your Life by Daniel Bergner Done [This is the most interesting book biography of an opera singer I've ever read...and I've read a bunch. Ryan Speedo Green isn't a household name, but his story is amazing. This bass-baritone with a rich resonant voice won the Met National Council Auditions several years ago. But he had a violent upbringing, and as a kid, wound up in juvenile detention of the worst sort. Once he was out, he got into an arts program. The choral teacher there (a black man) took them to the Met to see Carmen, played by Denyce Graves. Seeing a black woman in the lead role in a famous opera led the young black man to decide on an opera career.

What Bergner did was weave the scenes of Ryan's awful childhood with the scenes involving the steps on the path to his operatic career. Which wasn't easy. He couldn't really even read music, and certainly didn't know any of the operatic languages other than English when he started. And there were a number of places where the resonances between that childhood and his training were intense. I say this as a wannabe opera star who once had an abusive vocal coach. Even those of you who don't care for opera might enjoy this if you are interested in the resilience of the human spirit.]

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Once more, into the breach... Just started Catherynne M. Valente's The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led The Revels There, Book 2 in her delightful Fairyland series. It picks up a year later, with the girl September, now thirteen and possessed of a wild, new teenage heart, finally returning to Fairyland after a year away... to find that Fairyland Below has been stealing the shadows of everyone. She can't help but think it has something to do with her own previous adventure, when she traded her shadow for the safety of another, and thus determines to clean up the mess she inadvertently created. Still a wonderful and whimsical story, but with a solid spine of plot and character holding it upright.

I'm not entirely sure I'm going to finish my Extra Credit reads at this point; getting into a busy time of year. And I may have to swap out one or two, as they have gone AWOL. But I mean to try...

Challenge Status FINISHED: (12/12)

1. Lockwood & Co.: The Whispering Skull, Jonathan Stroud (Started 4/27, Finished 5/3)
  2. The Name Of This Book Is Secret, Pseudonymous Bosch (Started 1/7, Finished 1/12)
  3. Bitter Seeds, Ian Tregillis (Started 5/10, Finished 5/27)
  4. For a Muse of Fire, Heidi Heilig (Started 4/15, Finished 4/20)
  5. The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate, Jacqueline Kelly (Started 2/9, Finished 2/18)
  6. Skyward, Brandon Sanderson (Started 3/17, Finished 3/27)
  7. The Tiger's Daughter, K. Arsenault Rivera (Started 6/11, Finished 6/15)
  8. Discount Armageddon, by Seanan McGuire (Started 3/14, Finished 3/17)
  9. Endling#1: The Last, Katherine Applegate (Started 1/21, Finished 1/22)
  10. Born a Crime, Trevor Noah(Started 6/17, Finished 6/20)
  11. Spellslinger, Sebastien de Castell (Started 1/14, Finished 1/16)
  12. Fur Magic, Andre Norton (Started 2/7, Finished 2/9)

Extra Credit: Get On With It, Already! (4/12)

1 - The Tropic of Serpents, Marie Brennan (Book 2 of the Memoirs of Lady Trent) (Started 2/20, Finished 2/26)
2 - The Wall of Storms, Ken Liu (Book 2 of the Dandelion Dynasty)
3 - The Shadow Throne, Django Wexler (Book 2 of the Shadow Campaigns)
4 - The Infinite Sea, Rick Yancey (Book 2 of the 5th Wave trilogy) (Started 7/15, Finished 7/19)
5 - Morning Star, Pierce Brown (Book 3 of the Red Rising series)
6 - Arabella and the Battle of Venus, David D. Levine (Book 2 of the Arabella of Mars series) (Started 7/1, Finished 7/5)
7 - The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There, Catherynne M. Valente (Book 2 of the Fairyland series) (Started 8/14)
8 - Across the Great Barrier, Patricia C. Wrede (Book 2 of the Frontier Magic series)
9 - The Alloy of Law, Brandon Sanderson (a Mistborn novel)
10 - Legion of Flame, Anthony Ryan (Book 2 of the Draconis Memoria series)
11 - Green Mars, Kim Stanley Robinson (Book 2 of the Mars trilogy)
12 - Binti: Home, Nnedi Okorafor (Book 2 of the Binti trilogy) (Started 1/22, Finished 1/27)

Verboten

Registered
Reaction score
Took a break on my challenge to read the second book in The Expanse series by James Corey. I love this series so far!

Going to start "Cutting for Stone." Then I only have one more book to complete my challenge! "Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell" is over 1,000 pages. It's going to take a while.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Verboten, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell is one of my favourite books. I hope you'll enjoy it and find it worth your time. :)

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
I hate to disagree, but Strange and Mr Norrell was one of the worst books I've ever read!!! I absolutely hated it!!!!!!!

Verboten

Registered
Reaction score
I have heard many mixed reviews of it. I'll definitely keep you all posted!

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lol. Whereas I'm interested in your take on Cutting for Stone. I had some issues with that book and gave up on it.

Verboten

Registered
Reaction score
Oh yikes. I do know someone who really liked it, so the scope of like to dislike is interesting. I'm only a few pages in, but I'll definitely update when delve further.

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Of the Farm by John Updike. Joey and his new wife Peggy and her pre-teen son Richard leave New York City to visit Joey's mother on the old farm. Joey's divorce from Joan and his hasty marriage to Peggy strains an already tense family situation, as Joey's mother is getting too old to care for the fallowed farm. As with certain others of Updike's work (particularly Poorhouse Fair), this short novel reads more like a really long short story. Despite its apparent linearity and departure from the three-act novel structure, this is a layered story with several conflicts occurring at once. There are several recurring motifs that tie together. What I at first thought of as an outdated understanding of marriage, even by Joey and Peggy, I came to realize was probably an element of satire contrasted against the life Joey and Peggy live off-screen in New York.

9. Best friend: A book with a dog on the cover. Unsaid - Neil Abramson
16. By its cover: A book you know nothing about, chosen solely by the FRONT cover (no reading the jacket flap, back cover blurb, or reviews). Happiness - Aminatta Forna Done 7/23/19
24. Down on the farm: A book featuring farmers, agriculture, or taking place in an agrarian setting. Of the farm - John Updike Done 8/17/19
28. Keep up with the Joneses: A book everyone else seems to have read but you have not. The Hate U Give - Angie Thomas Done 8/6/19
34. Ye olde booke shoppe: A book written before 1800. Gulliver's Travels - Jonathan Swift Done 7/8/19
41. Locked up: A book taking place in a prison, mental institution or treatment center. Papillon - Henri Charriere

2. That old black magic: A paranormal novel. The Ocean at the End of the Lane - Neil Gaiman Done 3/4/2019
7. Doorstoppers: A book more than 600 pages. Mexico - James Michener Done 2/28/2019
13. Learn the Quadrille: A regency romance. A Wicked Kind of Husband - Mia Vincy Done 1/26/2019
14. Crossing the (color) lines: A book about a person of color (PoC), any variety, written by an author of the same variety. Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, An American Slave - Frederick Douglass Done 1/14/19
17. Back in the day: A historical of any genre. My Name is Red - Orhan Pamuk Done 4/18/19
19. Support the home team: A book by a fellow AWer. A Dangerous Fiction - Barbara Rogan Done 3/15/19
24. Down on the farm: A book featuring farmers, agriculture, or taking place in an agrarian setting. Charlotte's Web - E. B. White Done 1/17/19
27. Halcyon days: A bestseller or book published the year you turned 21. The English Patient - Michael Ondaatji Done 6/24/19
29. You might also like. . .: A book recommended by someone real, or by a bot. Less - Andrew Sean Greer Done 7/2/19
33. Happy days are here again: A book published between 1945 and 1960. Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury Done 5/13/19
37. Read it again, Sam: Reread a book you have already read. Freedom - Jonathan Franzen Done 1/14/19
43. Still time for more chapters: A memoir/biography by/about someone who’s still alive (as of January 1). Educated - Tara Westover Done 5/30/19

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Finished The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There. One year after the Nebraska girl September (born in May) visited Fairyland, she despairs of ever returning, until a peculiar rowboat in the cornfields leads her back... but something has gone terribly wrong in Fairyland. Everyone is losing their shadows, and with them their magic, to the Hollow Queen of Fairyland-Below. When she realizes that the Queen is, in fact, her own lost shadow, September sets out to make things right by waking the long-lost sleeping prince and Rightful King - but, while she was Mostly Heartless as a child last year, now she has a new, wild young heart that may complicate matters immeasurably.

A perfect follow-up to the first Fairyland book, with lyrical prose and wonderful characters and a heroine who is much more than just an empty proxy for the reader. I enjoy how Fairyland appears to grow and change as September herself grows, reflecting real-world conflicts while being its own place and thing. And I also love that it's not just a dream or figment of the imagination, like so many children's/middle-grade portal stories end up being. I need to get the rest of the series and read through at this point.

Still considering my next read; really should pick another Extra Credit title, but a lot of my energy this month has been going into a short I'm trying to finish.

1. Lockwood & Co.: The Whispering Skull, Jonathan Stroud (Started 4/27, Finished 5/3)
  2. The Name Of This Book Is Secret, Pseudonymous Bosch (Started 1/7, Finished 1/12)
  5. The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate, Jacqueline Kelly (Started 2/9, Finished 2/18)

Extra Credit: Get On With It, Already! (5/12)

1 - The Tropic of Serpents, Marie Brennan (Book 2 of the Memoirs of Lady Trent) (Started 2/20, Finished 2/26)
4 - The Infinite Sea, Rick Yancey (Book 2 of the 5th Wave trilogy) (Started 7/15, Finished 7/19)
6 - Arabella and the Battle of Venus, David D. Levine (Book 2 of the Arabella of Mars series) (Started 7/1, Finished 7/5)
7 - The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There, Catherynne M. Valente (Book 2 of the Fairyland series) (Started 8/14, Finished 8/19)
8 - Across the Great Barrier, Patricia C. Wrede (Book 2 of the Frontier Magic series)
9 - The Alloy of Law, Brandon Sanderson (a Mistborn novel)
12 - Binti: Home, Nnedi Okorafor (Book 2 of the Binti trilogy) (Started 1/22, Finished 1/27)

Last edited:

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I've gotten started on the second book in the Dexter series which is what season two of the TV show is based on. Once that is done it will be added to my extra credit.

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm taking a short detour to finish reading an anthology I've been working through, and TBR novel I've been meaning to read for research for my (one of several) long-stalled WIP.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm doing an unrelated book challenge, this one for my local library. It's a book bingo where you fill up five adjacent squares of pre-selected subject matter, like the one here: A book set in summer, a "couldn't put it down" book, etc.

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I'm doing an unrelated book challenge, this one for my local library. It's a book bingo where you fill up five adjacent squares of pre-selected subject matter, like the one here: A book set in summer, a "couldn't put it down" book, etc.

Sounds interesting. How long have you been doing that?

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Since June. They are separate reads from the ones here. I only need five blocks to enter the contest. Biggest author surprise: Patti Smith! She's an interesting essayist.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
And back at it. Just started Brandon Sanderson's The Alloy of Law, a novel in his Mistborn world. It takes place some generations after the Mistborn trilogy concluded, with a "weird west" vibe so far.

Extra Credit: Get On With It, Already! (5/12)

7 - The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There, Catherynne M. Valente (Book 2 of the Fairyland series) (Started 8/14, Finished 8/19)
9 - The Alloy of Law, Brandon Sanderson (a Mistborn novel) (Started 8/24)

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
I finished The Terracotta Dog by Andrea Camilleri, for my Man’s Best Friend challenge (with a dog on the cover). Despite there being a dog in the title and on the front cover, the dog had very little to do with the plot, which was confusing and ended rather abruptly with a sudden wrap-up explanation. The mystery is set in Sicily against a backdrop of Mediterranean scenery, climate and cuisine, with Mafia threats and political corruption behind every corner. Detective inspector Salvà Montalbano is investigating several crimes that overlap in strange ways: a supermarket robbery that looks rigged, the death of an old Fascist Party member in a car accident, the arrest of a notorious gang leader and murderer in a suspicious shootout, the discovery of first an arms cache in a secret cave, and then that of two long-dead bodies laid out in a ritualistic display beside a terracotta dog. Montalbano not only uncovers the culprits of the modern crimes, but succeeds in uncovering the secret behind the two murdered lovers that had lain undisturbed for fifty years. Not a particularly good read; not recommended.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
oneblindmouse - I hate when the cover and title promise a thing that's barely in the book...

Just finished The Alloy of Law, a Mistborn novel, by Brandon Sanderson. Three centuries after the age of ash ended (in the original Mistborn trilogy), an industrial revolution has come to Scadrial - but the metal-based magics of Allomancy and Feruchemy persist, as do the religions outlined in the Words of Founding by Harmony, creator of the new world. Lord Waxillium had set aside his noble birth to pursue a dream and justice in the Roughs at the fringe of civilization, using his rare Twinborn abilities of both Allomancy and Feruchemy to become a legendary lawman... but the death of his last older relative brings him back to the city of Elendel, to put away his revolvers and badge and settle down to managing a sadly mismanaged estate. But when the Vanishers, a crew of criminals, strike too close to his new life, Wax learns that even if he put away his badge, he's still a lawman at heart.

On the plus side, it was interesting seeing an epic fantasy world brought forward to an industrial revolution in what is essentially a western tale with magical trappings. On the minus side, the rest of the story fell out of the plot stock bin. From overused characters to sexism to plot points that blatantly telegraph their arrival, at some point I stopped being able to see the story as a story and started seeing the snap-together parts it was built with. Disappointing from Sanderson.

Will have to take a bit of a challenge break for a palate cleanser.

Extra Credit: Get On With It, Already! (6/12)

9 - The Alloy of Law, Brandon Sanderson (a Mistborn novel) (Started 8/24, Finished 9/4)

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
I finished On Green Dolphin Street by Sebastian Faulkes for my Metrosensual challenge (a romance set in a major city). I don’t normally like romances, as happy endings strike me as soppy and unrealistic, while unhappy endings depress me, but I’m such a fan of Sebastian Faulkes that I thought I’d give this book a try. And I’m so glad I did (thank you, Chris P, as I probably wouldn’t have read this book without this challenge).
At a party in December 1959 in Washington D.C., Mary - wife of Charlie, a British Embassy diplomat suffering from alcoholism and depression - meets Frank, a divorced reporter based in New York. When Mary’s children, to whom she is devoted, are sent away to boarding school in England for financial reasons, Mary declares she needs to do research for a book she is writing, and starts making frequent trips to New York, where Frank is based. This is made easier by Charlie’s absences to cover the 1960 presidential campaigns of senator John Kennedy and vice president Richard Nixon. Mary and Frank’s relationship blossoms and intensifies, but when her mother in England is diagnosed with cancer she begins to question family ties, love and fidelity. When Charlie suffers a mental breakdown in a memorable scene in Moscow, Mary must ask herself where her loyalties lie: with her children, her husband, or the man with whom she is passionately in love?
What I particularly liked were the the political details of the presidential campaign and election, the depth with which Faulkes lovingly describes New York, (which will delight readers familiar with this beautiful city that I’ve visited three times), and the way he is sympathetic to all three main characters. He describes their emotions at the dilemma they must face with great understanding, empathy and depth.

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, that sounds like my kind of book, oneblindmouse. I've not read any Faulkes, so this mivht be a good one to start on.

I'm closing in on the end of my Best Friends (dog on the cover) book: Unsaid by Neil Abramson. The review I write will depend on how this ends. It could go either way at this point. :)

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm closing in on the end of my Best Friends (dog on the cover) book: Unsaid by Neil Abramson.

I didn't think I would finish it that quickly, the final scenes are fast reads.

I really liked this book. Veterinarian and former primate researcher Helena Colden has died, and watches mutely as her married-to-his-lawyer-job husband David, vet partner Joshua, and friend Jaycee come to terms with her death and try to move on with their lives. She can't interact with the living world, only observe. The dramatic "Hollywood" subplot is that Jaycee is conducting animal communications research with a chimpanzee named Cindy who is able to communicate through sign language at the level of a four-year-old human, and employs David to represent her in the court case when the government agency funding the research pulls the plug and Jaycee is caught trying to steal Cindy from the lab. Meanwhile, Sally, Joshua's vet tech, has a son Clifford with Asperger's who has a way with the animals Helena has left behind and David struggles to care for. The most touching parts of the book come from the scenes of mourning and rebuilding, and I think could have sustained the book on their own--the "famous final courtroom scene," although very well done for what it is, came off as hackneyed and there for the sake of those looking for a drama thriller.

This is, however, an intensely spiritual book and one of the few that so forwardly presents a world view similar to my own: there is no Grand Purpose, no Great God's Plan, and not everything happens for a reason. But that doesn't mean that love, compassion--or even God--don't exist. As one character explains in the scene at the pet cemetery in Paris and the events of the story bear out, the point is not whether or not there is a Plan, but that we respond to events with love and acceptance, no matter how unfair they might be. If unfair, evil things can just happen, and there is no Reason Things Occur, why not choose to respond with empathy, understanding, love and connecting to our fellow beings? That's where the hope lies amid the suffering, not in an unfounded bromide that it's all God's Plan and that sets the bar way too high that things will all work out for a Purpose. As happens in the story, this realization is what sets us free from the pain. I've toyed with writing something that says something similar, and maybe this book will give me ideas on how I might do that in my own way.

9. Best friend: A book with a dog on the cover. Unsaid - Neil Abramson Done 9/16/19
16. By its cover: A book you know nothing about, chosen solely by the FRONT cover (no reading the jacket flap, back cover blurb, or reviews). Happiness - Aminatta Forna Done 7/23/19
24. Down on the farm: A book featuring farmers, agriculture, or taking place in an agrarian setting. Of the farm - John Updike Done 8/17/19

Last edited:

Verboten

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure what happened to my post.

I think I may throw in the towel on "Cutting for Stone." I'm still not into it at page 150. I'm bored. Maybe time to pick another book where the setting is in Africa.