The 2019 AW Book Reading Challenge! New year, new categories, new books and new friends

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I went to a production of Othello a year or so ago. Now that I've seen it maybe it's time to give it a read and a study.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I recall reading that Shakespeare's work is best understood when performed or read aloud, as they were not written to be read in silence like a book. (IIRC, this was in Gary Paulsen's Brian's Return.)

Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Sounds accurate.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Finally finished Middlesex, my Keeping up with the Joneses selection. It was one of those books that seemed to take forever to read. Part of it was just my frame of mind - I don't think I've been in a novel-reading headspace lately - but much of it was just that the book was so DENSE. There's enough material there for three books, and I confess that for the last quarter of the book I was doing a fair amount of skimming.

Nisi Shawl's Everfair is my final Challenge selection, but I just don't know if I'm ready to tackle it after Middlesex. It's another big book (just under 400 pages) and from the quick look inside featured by Amazon, it appears to be written in a heightened language, which I'm doubly not-in-the-mood-for. I'm going to think about subbing another book to finish out my Challenge, or at the very least, put this one off for a while.

[ ] 6. Just the (alternative) facts, Ma'am: Everfair by Nisi Shawl
[x] 9. Best friend: Lily and the Octopus by Steven Rowley
[x] 10. The heart and mind of a writer: Congratulations, By the Way by George Saunders
[x] 11. Anyward, ho! The Old Ways: A Journey on Foot by Robert McFarlane
[x] 27. Halcyon Days: Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison
[x] 28. Keep up with the Joneses: Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
[x] 29. You might also like... Behind the Throne: A Domestic History of the British Royal Household by Adrian Tinniswood
[x] 31. Tag team: The Talisman by Stephen King and Peter Straub
[x] 35. No hablo: The Weaver by Emmi Itaranta
[x] 39: Tuesdays with Balaam's Ass: Bird Sense: What It's Like to Be a Bird by Tim Birkhead
[x] 42. Literary literal alliteration: The Urban Bestiary: Encountering the Everyday Wild by Lyanda Lynn Haupt
[x] 47: Succinct: Floodpath by John Wilkman

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Nisi Shawl's Everfair is my final Challenge selection, but I just don't know if I'm ready to tackle it after Middlesex. It's another big book (just under 400 pages) and from the quick look inside featured by Amazon, it appears to be written in a heightened language, which I'm doubly not-in-the-mood-for. I'm going to think about subbing another book to finish out my Challenge, or at the very least, put this one off for a while.

For shorter/less-dense-than-a-dense-novel alternative history reads, I'll throw out a few recs:

The Only Harmless Great Thing (Brooke Bolander): An alternate history in which elephants have been recognized as self-aware, but are still exploited by humans - until a memorable rebellion by one elephant forced to paint radium watch dials. An award-winner, fairly short, though dark.

The Calculating Stars (Mary Robinette Kowal): A meteor impact sets the earth on the path to catastrophic climate collapse, speeding up the space program and plans to colonize the solar system... and one math-prodigy calculator woman refuses to be left behind. "Punchcard-punk" SF, that uses realistic science to posit an interplanetary future using Apollo-era tech.

Leviathan (Scott Westerfield) - A MG title, first of a trilogy, but wonderfully imaginative. World War I re-imagined as a clash between steampunk/dieselpunk powers of Europe and "biopunk" (using genetically customized animals, from ground transportation to massive airships) nations, with a few hybrids (like America) on the sidelines. Throwback adventure feel, and some great mind's-eye candy.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, Brightdreamer. They all sound interesting, particularly the first two.

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
It only took me a couple of days to read The Sussex Downs Murder by John Bude, my Down on the Farm selection (farming or agrarian setting). This short and excellent whodunnit is set in a rural setting - the beautiful English South Downs - in the mid 1930s. Called in to investigate the disappearance of farmer John Rother, Inspector Meredith finds himself analyzing typewriters, driving all over West Sussex, piecing together a dismembered skeleton, recreating the scene of a suicide, and interrogating a voluble housekeeper, two hilarious bricklayers, a convicted thief, a crime writer, and an overwrought sister-in-law and possible lover. The cast of characters is very small, and everyone looks suspicious at one moment or other. This was a fun read. I’ll keep my eye out for the others in this series.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
And back at it again, as I just start Rick Yancey's The Infinite Sea, Book 2 of the 5th Wave trilogy. Humanity has been devastated by invading aliens, who then work to turn survivors against each other. A small group, working with an alien who does agree with the genocidal tactics, struggle to survive. Literally just started reading this, but so far it matches the previous book's tone.

ETA - And finished The Infinite Sea yesterday. This book actually addresses one of the minor issues I had with the previous volume: how the aliens' plan to finish of humans seemed a bit illogical and roundabout given their capabilities. The matter is partially answered here. Characters continue to have unexpected depths, though everyone's pretty much run through the wringer from start to finish. Being the middle book in a trilogy, things both begin and end up in the air, and being a dystopia/apocalypse tale there's not much in the way of lightness. Still, it has some wonderful writing, turning the end of the world into a sort of tragic poem as experienced by the last handful of humans resisting the invaders and ultimate extinction. I need to track down the third book, I think.

Next up, I really need to push myself through my eBook read right now, so it'll be a bit before I get back to my Extra Credit challenge.

Challenge Status FINISHED: (12/12)

1. Lockwood & Co.: The Whispering Skull, Jonathan Stroud (Started 4/27, Finished 5/3)
  2. The Name Of This Book Is Secret, Pseudonymous Bosch (Started 1/7, Finished 1/12)
  3. Bitter Seeds, Ian Tregillis (Started 5/10, Finished 5/27)
  4. For a Muse of Fire, Heidi Heilig (Started 4/15, Finished 4/20)
  5. The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate, Jacqueline Kelly (Started 2/9, Finished 2/18)
  6. Skyward, Brandon Sanderson (Started 3/17, Finished 3/27)
  7. The Tiger's Daughter, K. Arsenault Rivera (Started 6/11, Finished 6/15)
  8. Discount Armageddon, by Seanan McGuire (Started 3/14, Finished 3/17)
  9. Endling#1: The Last, Katherine Applegate (Started 1/21, Finished 1/22)
  10. Born a Crime, Trevor Noah(Started 6/17, Finished 6/20)
  11. Spellslinger, Sebastien de Castell (Started 1/14, Finished 1/16)
  12. Fur Magic, Andre Norton (Started 2/7, Finished 2/9)

Extra Credit: Get On With It, Already! (4/12)

1 - The Tropic of Serpents, Marie Brennan (Book 2 of the Memoirs of Lady Trent) (Started 2/20, Finished 2/26)
2 - The Wall of Storms, Ken Liu (Book 2 of the Dandelion Dynasty)
3 - The Shadow Throne, Django Wexler (Book 2 of the Shadow Campaigns)
4 - The Infinite Sea, Rick Yancey (Book 2 of the 5th Wave trilogy) (Started 7/15, Finished 7/19)
5 - Morning Star, Pierce Brown (Book 3 of the Red Rising series)
6 - Arabella and the Battle of Venus, David D. Levine (Book 2 of the Arabella of Mars series) (Started 7/1, Finished 7/5)
7 - The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There, Catherynne M. Valente (Book 2 of the Fairyland series)
8 - Across the Great Barrier, Patricia C. Wrede (Book 2 of the Frontier Magic series)
9 - The Alloy of Law, Brandon Sanderson (a Mistborn novel)
10 - Legion of Flame, Anthony Ryan (Book 2 of the Draconis Memoria series)
11 - Green Mars, Kim Stanley Robinson (Book 2 of the Mars trilogy)
12 - Binti: Home, Nnedi Okorafor (Book 2 of the Binti trilogy) (Started 1/22, Finished 1/27)

Last edited:

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Judging a book by the cover is of course a gamble that can pay off; or not. I finished Happiness by Aminatta Forna, a book I chose purely for the story hinted at by the cover art. Verdict: Mixed pay off.

I give her an A+ for the idea! On the surface, Jean, an American researcher of urban foxes, literally runs into Attila, a West African post-trauma psychologist in London. Not only is Attila in London to deliver a presentation on PTSD in impoverished wartime populations, he is there to track down his niece Ama and her son Tano who have gone missing, but also to visit his long-time mentor and one-time lover who is now confined to a nursing home with Alzheimer's. Multi-layered with a large cast of characters, the juxtaposing Forna constructs between the "invading" and unwanted London foxes, parakeets and Massachusetts' coyotes against the unwanted human immigrants, the elderly, and traumatized war refugees is an amazing idea and I just EAT THAT UP and can't get enough of it. The factual-based parts of it were well done and interesting, such as how foxes live in cities.

However, the execution deserves little more than a C-, unfortunately. All of the conflict and mystery that drives the first half of the story is resolved by the halfway point, and I wasn't drawn into the mystery that supports the second half. I never warmed up to Attila (I developed a story-based theory why about halfway through, and it sort-of went that way), and therefore I couldn't get into the romance between Jean and Attila. Forna goes into waaaaay too much unnecessary mundane detail, seemingly for the sake of realism but that actually slows things down. I don't need to know every item on the menu and which ones they ordered, and the physical descriptions of almost every incidental character didn't work for me. The whole chapters in italics were almost unreadable; there is no reason to put a flashback in a different font if the header to the chapter gives the date and location. Finally, I got actually angry at, despite Attila being an experienced world traveler and had visited London many times, how thoroughly stupid Forna made Attila at some times, such as not knowing how to add airtime to his pay-as-you-go phone (Africa was using these long before the West was) or using a sat-nav in a car. He would know these things if he had the background he was supposed to have.

ETA: Smokes! I didn't mean to spout off a wall of text! Sorry (I shortened it some).

9. Best friend: A book with a dog on the cover. Unsaid - Neil Abramson
16. By its cover: A book you know nothing about, chosen solely by the FRONT cover (no reading the jacket flap, back cover blurb, or reviews). Happiness - Aminatta Forna Done 7/23/2019
24. Down on the farm: A book featuring farmers, agriculture, or taking place in an agrarian setting. Of the farm - John Updike
28. Keep up with the Joneses: A book everyone else seems to have read but you have not. The Hate U Give - Angie Thomas
34. Ye olde booke shoppe: A book written before 1800. Gulliver's Travels - Jonathan Swift Done 7/8/19
41. Locked up: A book taking place in a prison, mental institution or treatment center. Papillon - Henri Charriere

2. That old black magic: A paranormal novel. The Ocean at the End of the Lane - Neil Gaiman Done 3/4/2019
7. Doorstoppers: A book more than 600 pages. Mexico - James Michener Done 2/28/2019
13. Learn the Quadrille: A regency romance. A Wicked Kind of Husband - Mia Vincy Done 1/26/2019
14. Crossing the (color) lines: A book about a person of color (PoC), any variety, written by an author of the same variety. Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, An American Slave - Frederick Douglass Done 1/14/19
17. Back in the day: A historical of any genre. My Name is Red - Orhan Pamuk Done 4/18/19
19. Support the home team: A book by a fellow AWer. A Dangerous Fiction - Barbara Rogan Done 3/15/19
24. Down on the farm: A book featuring farmers, agriculture, or taking place in an agrarian setting. Charlotte's Web - E. B. White Done 1/17/19
27. Halcyon days: A bestseller or book published the year you turned 21. The English Patient - Michael Ondaatji Done 6/24/19
29. You might also like. . .: A book recommended by someone real, or by a bot. Less - Andrew Sean Greer Done 7/2/19
33. Happy days are here again: A book published between 1945 and 1960. Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury Done 5/13/19
37. Read it again, Sam: Reread a book you have already read. Freedom - Jonathan Franzen Done 1/14/19
43. Still time for more chapters: A memoir/biography by/about someone who’s still alive (as of January 1). Educated - Tara Westover Done 5/30/19[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Started on Reading Lolita in Teheran. This was a book I got from a Local Little Free Library and a bestseller about 15 years ago. I'm enjoying it but it's way different from what I usually read. Very stream of consciousness and so far, a mulling on the power of fine literature. It's gotten me interested in Nabokov now, who is frequently mentioned but in a way that readers who haven't read him yet would find comfortable. It's a book you sink into like a comfy couch.

4. What you will read to your grandchildren: A children's book (middle grade or younger).
A Swiftly Tilting Planet, Madeleine L’engle
Picked because it's been hanging around here for a while and I want to see what's going on with the Murry kids.DONE

5. East meets West: A book taking place in Asia (Turkey to Japan, Siberia to Vietnam)
The Last Samurai, the Life and Battles of Saigo Takamori, by Mark Ravina
Japanese history. DONE

6. Just the (alternative) facts, Ma’am: An alternate history.
The Years of Rice and Salt, Kim Stanley Robinson
What if all of Caucasian Europe had died during the Great Plague?

9. Best friend: A book with a dog on the cover.
Being a Dog, Alexandra Horowitz
Loved her previous book, Inside a Dog. DONE

14. Crossing the (color) lines: A book about a person of color (PoC), any variety, written by an author of the same variety.
The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, N.K. Jemison
Wanted to read this author for a while. DONE
+ Extra Credit: Tales from La Vida, A Latinx Comics Anthology, ed. Frederick Luis Aldama. DONE

17. Back in the day: A historical of any genre.
A Murder in Thebes, Anna Apostolou
Alexander the Great turns amateur detective! DONE

18. Do you deliver?: A book where food, cooking, restaurants, chefs, etc. play a major role.
American Pie, Pascale Le Draoulec
A gift from a now-deceased friend.

25. Flights of fancy: A book in which airplanes figure prominently.
Jet Age, Sam Howe Verhovek.
The rivalry between the British Comet passenger jet and the Boeing 707. DONE

28. Keep up with the Joneses: A book everyone else seems to have read but you have not.
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Hunter S. Thompson
I don't know what I will find in here.

39. Tuesdays with Balaam’s Ass: A book with a non-human (animal or fantastic creature) main character.
Tales from Watership Down, Richard Adams
Talking rabbits. DONE

48. Matryoshka books: A book mentioned or discussed inside another book.
Reading Lolita in Teheran, Azar Nafisi
Self-explanatory. WORKING ON

49. What you read: A book you loved as a child.
A Wizard of Earthsea, Ursula K. LeGuin
How did this one hold up through my adult eyes? DONE

Last edited:

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I've added my own extra credit category, which is books that were made into movies. So far this year I have read three. Karate Kid, Fight Club, and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I hated Lolita with a pure passion. My mother (I kid you not!) handed me the book when I was about 14 after I'd read Invitation to a Beheading and raved about it. I read it and could not for the life of me figure out why anyone would want to read the obsessive ramblings of a middle aged pervert. And I'm not sure I want to know.

On the other hand, in addition to Invitation, I enjoyed Glory, which unlike Invitation is not surreal, and got a kick out of Pale Fire, which combines a not-particularly-brilliant long poem with a long series of footnotes, which tell the actual story. (Don't read Pale Fire if you're allergic to experimental fiction.)

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I loved Lolita, but couldn't get into Glory. What compelled me about Lolita was the confessional tone to it; not that I get any thrill from reading shock literature--far from it, I hate that stuff--I thought Humbert's detatchment from his actions and from the effect he was having on Lolita shows how people allow themselves to get away with stuff like that. It was like the case study of someone who's recovered or reformed. "Here's how it was, folks, and what I was thinking at the time" without glorifying his actions. I understand now that Humbert is an unreliable narrator, but I'm not so sure he's all that unreliable. Selfish and self-indulgent, yes, projecting his perspective onto Lolita, yes, but not unreliable as far as reporting what he was experiencing. There is often some really nifty wordplay too, like when he referred to Dolores as dolorous. I totally get it that for some people the creepiness is not possible to overlook.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've added my own extra credit category, which is books that were made into movies. So far this year I have read three. Karate Kid, Fight Club, and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

I'm set to read Fear and Loathing too. I'll never watch the movie though, because Johnny Depp is an ass.

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I read Fear and Loathing eons ago. I remember bits of the story. It's chaotic but readable. Skip the movie. I don't mind Depp but I hated him in this and the film didn't capture the talent of the writing; it just came off as a grubby drug fest.

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I liked the book enough to consider it an entertaining read. I have not seen the movie and have little to no interest in it. If I read the book before watching the movie I usually won't like the movie anyway.

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I liked the book enough to consider it an entertaining read. I have not seen the movie and have little to no interest in it. If I read the book before watching the movie I usually won't like the movie anyway.

For me, when I read a book I really want to see a movie based on it, and it's been about 50/50 whether I've liked it or not. However, if I see the movies first it ruins the book because I keep seeing the actors and not the characters.

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
For me, when I read a book I really want to see a movie based on it, and it's been about 50/50 whether I've liked it or not. However, if I see the movies first it ruins the book because I keep seeing the actors and not the characters.

When I was in college I took an English class where we read the book, analyzed it, then watched the movie and analyzed it. I guess I found that I didn't usually like the movie as much because I already knew what happened and sometimes the movie left out too much. The best example of this for me, at least from that class, was The Talented Mr. Ripley. One of my favorite novels but didn't care for the movie. I also felt the same way about The Firm (this wasn't for class) but then a year later I watched the movie again and thought it was OK. It just wasn't so good right after the book.

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps when seeing the movie from a book I've read I don't mind knowing the ending, and it's an intellectual pursuit of how to represent the story rather than the story itself. "How are they going to show the emotions and internal processes I was able to read about?" Because movies are all show and no tell, I can get some ideas on how to better show.

But mostly I just want to see if the director was as genius as I am about what the scene looked like :p

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
PROGRESS!

I've made progress! :D

I remember that!: A book about a historical event that took place in your lifetime. (The Lost World: A Novel (Jurassic Park)- Michael Crichton.) Jurassic Park, the series, were my first movies. I use this in lieu of an actual historical event, because those movies of almost magical wonder made it seem like anything could be real if you tried hard enough.)
That old black magic: A paranormal novel. (Needful Things- Stephen King)
Top of the heap: A book on any Top Whatever list. (Faust (Part Two)- Goethe)
What you will read to your grandchildren: A children's book (middle grade or younger). (Charlotte's Web- E.B. White)
East meets West: A book taking place in Asia (Turkey to Japan, Siberia to Vietnam) (One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich- Alexander Solzhenitsyn)
Just the (alternative) facts, Ma’am: An alternate history. (Doctor Sax- Jack Kerouac)
Doorstoppers: A book more than 600 pages. (Christine- Stephen King)
Be the change you want to see: A book about a sociopolitical issue. (The Acharnians- Aristophanes)
Best friend: A book with a dog on the cover. (Echo North- Joanna Ruth Meyer) It's a retelling of a fairy tale! :D
The heart and mind of a writer: An author memoir or collection of essays by an author. (We Tell Ourselves Stories in Order to Live- Joan Didion)
Anyward, ho!: A travel novel (any genre, including non-fiction). (The Prague Cemetery- Umberto Eco)
Alma mater matters: A book about or taking place on a college or university campus. (Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret.- Judy Blume.) A school is close enough, isn't it?
Crossing the (color) lines: A book about a person of color (PoC), any variety, written by an author of the same variety. (For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow Is Enuf- Ntozake Shange)
One more try: A book from a genre you have given up on. (Raise the Titanic!- Clive Cussler)
By its cover: A book you know nothing about, chosen solely by the FRONT cover (no reading the jacket flap, back cover blurb, or reviews). (The Age of Reason- Jean-Paul Sartre)
Back in the day: A historical of any genre. (Alias Grace- Margaret Atwood)
Do you deliver?: A book where food, cooking, restaurants, chefs, etc. play a major role. (The Ritz- Terrence McNally)
The sporting life: A book with an athlete main character, or about sports. (Rabbit, Run- John Updike)
The butler might have done it: A mystery. (Mildred Pierce- James M. Cain)
Down on the farm: A book featuring farmers, agriculture, or taking place in an agrarian setting. (Cain- José Saramago)
Do you read about the land down under?: A book about or taking place in Australia, New Zealand or Pacific Islands. (Victory- Joseph Conrad)
Better known for . . .: A book by someone who’s more famous for something other than writing. (Scouting for the Reaper- Joseph M. Appel)
Halcyon days: A bestseller or book published the year you turned 21 (or 12 if you aren’t yet 21 ). (A Dance with Dragons- George R.R Martin)
Keep up with the Joneses: A book everyone else seems to have read but you have not. (The Hunger Games- Suzanne Collins)
You might also like. . .: A book recommended by someone real, or by a bot. (In Parenthesis- David Jones)
Learn the Quadrille: A regency romance. (Sanditon- Jane Austen)
Tag team: A book by more than one author. (Deus Irae- Philip K. Dick and Roger Zelazny)
Happy days are here again: A book published between 1945 and 1960. (Maggie Cassidy- Jack Kerouac)
Ye olde booke shoppe: A book written before 1800. (Wilhelm Meister's Apprenticeship- Goethe)
No hablo: A book originally written in another language (i.e., a translation). (Dream Psychology- Sigmund Freud)
Read it again, Sam: Reread a book you have already read. (Sahara- Clive Cussler)
My hometown: A book by a local author. (The Manticore- Robertson Davies)
Tuesdays with Balaam’s Ass: A book with a non-human (animal or fantastic creature) main character. (The Golden Ass- Apuleius)
Literary literal alliteration: A book whose title or author’s name is an alliteration. (Bird by Bird- Anne Lammott)
Backlist delight: Read a lesser-known book from the back catalog of a best-selling author. (The Town and the City- Jack Kerouac)
Who was that, again?: A book about a person you know little about. (The End Note- Andrew Rimas)
Succinct: A book with a one-word title. (Circe- Madeline Miller)
Matryoshka books: A book mentioned or discussed inside another book. (The Transmigration of Timothy Archer- Philip K. Dick)

10 Left to Go:

Support the home team: A book by a fellow AWer (Check people’s sigs, or this thread might help: https://absolutewrite.com/forums/sho...rently-reading).
Steady there, cowboy: A western.
Flights of fancy: A book in which airplanes figure prominently.
QUILTBAG: A book with a major LGBTQ+ character or about an LGBTQ+ issue.
Metrosensual: A romance set in a major city.
Out of Africa: A book taking place in Africa (including North Africa).
Locked up: A book taking place in a prison, mental institution or treatment center.
Still time for more chapters: A memoir/biography by/about someone who’s still alive (as of January 1).
What you read: A book you loved as a child.
I’ve met them!: A book by someone you have seen in person (either know, seen at a book fair, heard at a speaking engagement, in line at the ATM, whatever).
Be your own boss: A self-published novel.
Takin’ care o’ business: A book taking place in a corporate setting, or about a business, or about a business leader.

Any suggestions? :D I just bought Blood Meridian, so I have the Western category covered....

Last edited:

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lol, Daniel, when I saw Jurassic Park as a historical I was kinda . . . um, yeah. Your explanation counts, though!

Suggestions:

For Flights of Fancy, I really enjoyed "Everyone Brave is Forgiven" by Chris Cleave. It splits between nurses/first responders during the London Blitz and RAF pilots in Malta.

QUILTBAG: I read "Less" by Andrew Sean Greer for this challenge. Reviews upthread.

EDIT: For "Out of Africa," holy smokes where to start? "What is the what?" by Dave Eggers is great. "Things fall apart" by Chinuha Achebe is considered the standard for African literature, although I wasn't overly thrilled by it. For classics, "Heart of Darkness" by Joseph Conrad defined the genre for years and years, and if you've seen "Apocalypse Now!" you've basically read the book. There is also of course "Out of Africa" by Karen Blixen, and for a historical account "The Discovery of the Source of the Nile" by John Hanning Speke is long, factually questionable, but has a lot of insight into pre-colonization Africa. For newer books "Little Bee" by Chris Cleave (there he is again!). Thinking back, there are actually few newer novels that take place in Africa; most are about the African diaspora in Europe and the US. If you don't mind a short story compilation, look for one of the Caine Prize anthologies.

Last edited:

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting!! My sister recommended "Everyone brave is forgotten" by Chris Cleave, as she's a big fan of his, but I've been putting it off as it doesn't look particularly interesting. So I'm interested in your comments above, Chris P.

Daniel, are you really reading a book from each category?????????????? WOW!!! That beats us all hands down. Please write some reviews on the books you've read.

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting!! My sister recommended "Everyone brave is forgotten" by Chris Cleave, as she's a big fan of his, but I've been putting it off as it doesn't look particularly interesting. So I'm interested in your comments above, Chris P.

I enjoyed it. I thought I might have reviewed it for the "What are you reading" thread, but no luck. It was the type of up-market fiction I enjoy, with enough historiosity to tickle my interest but enough of a personal touch to make the characters real. I really liked the interplay between the two London nurses and how their personalities diverged throughout the story. The RAF pilots part was fairly standard WWII fare, but still well done.

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
I'll take your word for it and give it a go (not immediately). My father was in the RAF, so I've a soft spot for that whole scenario.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
For Steady There, Cowboy: Erin Bowman's Vengeance Road is an excellent YA western. Patrick deWitt's The Sisters Brothers is a rather grim, borderline surreal tale of the west. For even more surreality, Catherynne M. Valente's Six-Gun Snow White is a strange blend of Native American mythos and the fairy tale Snow White.

For Flights of Fancy and/or Out of Africa: West With The Night, by Beryl Markham, the autobiography of an early woman pilot who grew up in Africa. (There's a connection to Out of Africa in this.)

And for just Flights of Fancy: AVIATRIX, by Mary Bush Shipko, the autobiography of a woman who aspired to be an airline pilot in the 1980's and the rampant, targeted sexism that brought her down.

For QUILTBAG, I quite enjoyed The Tiger's Daughter by K. Arsenault Rivera, if you're open to Asian-flavored fantasy. Sarah Gailey's River of Teeth also has numerous nonbinary characters, set in an alternate "Wild South" history, where feral hippos have overrun the southern swamplands. And the graphic novel Nimona has a villain who used to be in love with his current nemesis.

Last edited:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greetin)

I'd recommend The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver for Out of Africa.

If you like surreal, try Invitation to a Beheading by Nabokov for Locked Up.

For Still Time for More Chapters, your best bet is going to be picking someone you're interested in and seeing if there's a bio or autobio out.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal