AW is an Amazon Affiliate

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

paypal subscribe button

How To Support AW

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: The 2019 AW Book Reading Challenge! New year, new categories, new books and new friends

Threaded View

Not related to Jacob Rees-Mogg Helix's Avatar
    Here's my pick:

I remember that!: A book about a historical event that took place in your lifetime.

The Bridge by Enza Gandolfo. It's a novel about the collapse of the West Gate Bridge, Melbourne, during construction in 1970.

That old black magic: A paranormal novel.

Dyschronia by Jennifer Mills. This could fit into paranormal, alternative history, one word title and/or interesting front cover.

East meets West: A book taking place in Asia (Turkey to Japan, Siberia to Vietnam)

On the Java Ridge by Jock Serong. Another book that could fit into a few categories. Set in the Timor Sea between Sumba (Indonesia) and Ashmore Reef (Australia), it's about Australia's refugee policy.

Be the change you want to see: A book about a sociopolitical issue.

No Friend But The Mountain: Writing from Manus Prison by Behrouz Boochani. On the subject of our disgraceful and inhumane refugee policy...Behrouz Boochani is a Kurdish-Iranian journalist held on Manus Island. https://www.theguardian.com/australi...text-at-a-time

Crossing the (color) lines: A book about a person of color (PoC), any variety, written by an author of the same variety.

Too Much Lip by Melissa Lucashenko.

Do you read about the land down under?: A book about or taking place in Australia, New Zealand or Pacific Islands.

Flames by Robbie Arnott. Set in Tasmania.

The butler might have done it: A mystery.

White Night by Anne Cleeves. The second book in the Shetland series.

Down on the farm: A book featuring farmers, agriculture, or taking place in an agrarian setting.

The Lost Man by Jane Harper. Crime story set on a cattle station in outback Queensland.

Better known for . . .: A book by someone who’s more famous for something other than writing.

Cedar Valley by Holly Throsby. Throsby is a talented musician and this is her second novel.

No hablo: A book originally written in another language (i.e., a translation).

Drive Your Plow Over The Bones of The Dead by Olga Tokarczuk. An 'existential thriller', translated from Polish.

Still time for more chapters: A memoir/biography by/about someone who’s still alive (as of January 1).

Grant & I by Robert Forster. Musician Forster's memoir about his time in the Go-Betweens.

I’ve met them!:
    A book by someone you have seen in person (either know, seen at a book fair, heard at a speaking engagement, in line at the ATM, whatever).

The Distant Echo by Val McDermid. Crime!
    Last edited by Helix; 01-01-2019 at 03:32 PM.