Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt Jade View Post
I also feel obliged to say SF writer John Varley came up with a similar concept years before Morgan wrote his book. In Varley's story, people can take expensive recordings of their brains up to the time of the recording, so if they die, a clone can created with the recording downloaded into it. The main character is an environmental artist who keeps getting murdered and makes a new recording and clone every week to keep up with the clues.
Quote Originally Posted by yesandno View Post
I love the older John Varley. Have often recommended Steel Beach to people and they were never disappointed. Recently read Irontown Blues and while it didn't grab me early on, it turned out to be a good reintroduction into the Eight World series. Looking forward to the next book. Irontown Blues features a dog as one of the main characters, by the way. I had problems with the way it was handled at first, but it ended up being charming.
I don't think I've read anything by John Varley yet. Might have to take a look; those sound interesting

I'm back with an update far earlier than I expected. It's been a long time since I've read a King book, but his name is still the first one I give when I'm asked for my favourite author. This reminded me of why. There were a few things that tripped me up, but I've been trying to make sure I take more time for reading during the day and with this book I didn't have to work to remember. I had it out as soon as I could, because I wanted to know what was happening and what happened next.

There was a bit of a hitch for me, as a character introduced part way through is apparently from a previous trilogy of his, and it wasn't an old-school-King Easter egg, where you catch it if you've read the earlier book(s) but continue without a stumble if you don't. This one practically shouted the existence of the other story. All the same, the character was interesting and it got through all that eventually and continued on with the story I was actually reading so all good. I may actually go check out the trilogy now.

Onto The Alchemist now, to finish out this month's book club selections.

2. That old black magic: Storm Front by Jim Butcher
3. Top of the heap: The Outsider by Stephen King (B&N Top 100 Bestsellers, 2018) [Done]
6. Just the (alternative) facts, Ma’am: The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick
14. Crossing the (color) lines: The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
17. Back in the day: The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah
23. The butler might have done it: A is for Alibi by Sue Grafton
27. Halcyon days: Timeline by Michael Crichton (published November 1999)
29. You might also like. . .: Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan (recommended on a list when I was looking for futuristic mysteries last year) [Done]
33. Happy days are here again: Ordeal by Innocence by Agatha Christie
31. Tag team: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
35. No hablo: The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
47. Succinct: Redshirts by John Sclazi [Done]