Writing My Self Publishing Dream

konstantineblacke

Registered
Reaction score
Two days ago, after many *cough* many years of writing and lacking the self confidence to show my work, I *finally* took the plunge and started my self publishing journey. Now, over the past year I haven't been alone as I have come to realise that my writing, and my self worth means something. As such, I've made some awesome writer friends, those that include professional editors, alpha, beta, and proofreaders, as well as just people who have pointed me towards the right direction. They have helped me get my stories all polished and shiny. I am forever in their debt.

I'll just transpose my announcement to here so you all can see the first step of my journey.

Well, I published my first story yesterday (after going the self publishing route). After pressing the 'publish' button I went to bed, exhausted after the process and learning curve.

This morning I woke up to the news that my novella was a #1 New Release on Amazon.

I cried ugly/happy tears for hours! (so much so the milk in my cornflakes went salty LOL)

I'm still trying to process it all. Sure, it's in a very niche market (LGBTQ+ humor) but hey, baby steps before I start releasing my books in earnest--which the first one is with my editor at the moment, then off to the proofreader.

Anyway. Here's the link-y thing HERE if you're so interested in looking (I can't seem to do a book cover image) Oh well.

It's a pre-order, because the actual release date is my birthday!

And is there a thread where one can post about their self publishing journey (as in my own author's thread?) Because I've learned heaps already and would like to share my experiences with others.

However, this short story release is the 'teaser' that is testing the waters before I start releasing my books in earnest. I also have an awesome artist friend who is doing all the promotional art and book covers for me.

If you want to look at the promotional postcard for my first book (one I will be sending out to people soon to drum up enthusiasm), you can click HERE It's just beautiful!

The one thing I have learned so far, if you are not a US citizen (I'm Australian) the Tax Withholding and Exemption forms do get a bit hairy. The ones for Amazon weren't as bad as Ingrams though. (As I plan to release my main books through Ingrams).

Anyway.

That's the first step!

Last edited:

konstantineblacke

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats!!!! Hope you get a lot of sales!!! Good luck with it!!!:hooray:

Thank you! I'm still in a daze about it all.

I forgot to mention, the sale price is US 0.99c per copy but FREE on Kindle Unlimited (which explains the low royalty return)

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score

Spicyqueso

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations and I hope you continue to publish books! I think that's an important genre that needs more voices.

konstantineblacke

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your well wishes and congrats and thoughts. I have given all reps :)

konstantineblacke

Registered
Reaction score
I posted a preview on my blog HERE of my story for you all to enjoy the first page. And thank you to those of you who have pre-ordered a copy! You have made my day! *still need to pinch myself that this is all real*

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! Wishing you many sales.:hooray:

konstantineblacke

Registered
Reaction score
Well, my story was released (and shot back up to number 1)

You can read an example and grab a copy HERE

Thank you to everyone who supported, encouraged, and bought a copy. Love you all!

konstantineblacke

Registered
Reaction score
Oooo--you got the groovy little banner. You go! :)

Thank you. I would have replied earlier, but I've been locked out of AW by a certificate (not secure) error. I had to put into my settings on my computer that AW was a 'trusted site' Hopefully all fixed now.

konstantineblacke

Registered
Reaction score
You can all listen to my story: "Enough Blue Sky to Mend a Pair of Sailor's Trousers" by LA Nights, a lovely lady with a brilliant voice. You can do so HERE Enjoy!

konstantineblacke

Registered
Reaction score
Just made my next pre-order available, "Dylan's Love"

Already it's a number one new release and I got that lovely banner thing at Amazon!

You can check it out HERE

konstantineblacke

Registered
Reaction score
I released my second story, Dylan's Love" on the 21st! And I got that little Amazon number 1 best seller banner again! Love that thing. It won't stay up there long, but it's nice to have it there!

Thank you to everyone for their continued support.

If you want to check it out, here