Reading .pdfs Offline

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I downloaded a .pdf to read offline, but when I clicked to open it, it opened in Edge. I tried to right-click and Open With; that's when I found out my Dell laptop didn't come with Acrobat, Reader, or anything Abode. Open With also got suggested alternates like Notepad and Windows Media Player.

I looked online to see if I already had something on my laptop I could use. LibreOffice's Draw function was mentioned and works, but it's a pain to read it there. My e-reader's compatible with .pdfs, but only a sharp-eyed masochist reads .pdfs on an e-reader. I went to Adobe's site, and I can't find the free download anymore.

Anybody have a suggestion? Thanks!

-Riv-

The much appreciated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I downloaded a .pdf to read offline, but when I clicked to open it, it opened in Edge. I tried to right-click and Open With; that's when I found out my Dell laptop didn't come with Acrobat, Reader, or anything Abode. Open With also got suggested alternates like Notepad and Windows Media Player.

I looked online to see if I already had something on my laptop I could use. LibreOffice's Draw function was mentioned and works, but it's a pain to read it there. My e-reader's compatible with .pdfs, but only a sharp-eyed masochist reads .pdfs on an e-reader. I went to Adobe's site, and I can't find the free download anymore.

Anybody have a suggestion? Thanks!
The good news is that Acrobat Reader is free. :) Link There are also other free readers available.

All the best,
Riv

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Awwww, a happy ending!

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
So much for the Hero's journey :)

DMcCunney

Registered
Reaction score
Another option if you are on Windows is SumatraPDF. SumartaPDF is free and open source. It doesn't handle everything Adobe Reader does, like PDFs that have forms that can be input to and saved. I don't need that, so while I have Adobe Reader here, Sumatra is my default viewer.

(And note that Adobe Reader embeds a flavor of JavaScript called ActionScript, and JavaScript can be executed by the reader. If you worry that's a security hole, click on Edit/Preferences, scroll down to JavaScript, and uncheck the box labeled "Enable Acrobat JavaScript.)

SumatraPDF not only views PDFs, it also views ePub and Mobi files. My principal eBook viewer device is a 7" Android tablet using the open source FBReader for Android, which handles ePub, F2, Mobi, and several other things native, and PDFs via a plugin, but Sumatra is handy if I need to look at an eBook on my desktop. Recommended.

Get SumatraPDF here: https://www.sumatrapdfreader.org/free-pdf-reader.html
______
Dennis

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.