Anybody Who Published with Kindle Direct Publishing Had this Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maggiee19

Registered
Reaction score
Hey,

So I just published a novel I wrote back in 2008, with Kindle Direct Publishing, and the price for the paperback was $19. They didn't let me go any lower, and the book is 5.5x8.5, I think it is, and 515 pages long. Has anybody had this problem? I know books that were a lot bigger than mine that were cheaper. Anyone have any advice?

Sincerely
Maggie.

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't had this experience. I'd contact KDP and ask them about it. It could be a glitch to why it's not changing or they can tell you another reason if they don't allow it. I've never had a paperback that large so I can't say.

Last edited:

maggiee19

Registered
Reaction score
I will contact them because my book is expensive as heck. I published it so my family members and friends could read it because it's an old manuscript, but dang, I had never seen a book that expensive.

-Riv-

The much appreciated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I will contact them because my book is expensive as heck. I published it so my family members and friends could read it because it's an old manuscript, but dang, I had never seen a book that expensive.
I haven't used KDP, but found this link which gives information on printing cost for POD books along with a calculation tool (image below) for minimum list price allowed and royalties. Using that, the minimum list price for a 515 page book is 11.72 (allowing $.01 royalty). If you want higher royalties, you'd need to set the list price higher than $11.72. (Disclaimer: I am just reporting what the page says. I have no direct experience with it.)

kindle.JPG
kindle.JPG
kindle.JPG
kindle.JPG
kindle.JPG

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
What is the breakdown on your base price? Check your download fee, the royalties rate you selected, did you accidentally select full color?

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
To put things in perspective, the minimum price I can go on a 300 page paperback is eight and some change.

When you say that you know that books a lot bigger than yours are cheaper, are you sure they are actually published through KDP Print?

maggiee19

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't used KDP, but found this link which gives information on printing cost for POD books along with a calculation tool (image below) for minimum list price allowed and royalties. Using that, the minimum list price for a 515 page book is 11.72 (allowing $.01 royalty). If you want higher royalties, you'd need to set the list price higher than $11.72. (Disclaimer: I am just reporting what the page says. I have no direct experience with it.)

kindle.JPG
kindle.JPG
kindle.JPG
kindle.JPG
kindle.JPG

My paperback is in review right now, so I won't be able to get into the book until tomorrow.

What is the breakdown on your base price? Check your download fee, the royalties rate you selected, did you accidentally select full color?

I will check that tomorrow, when they let me edit the book and make changes.

To put things in perspective, the minimum price I can go on a 300 page paperback is eight and some change.

When you say that you know that books a lot bigger than yours are cheaper, are you sure they are actually published through KDP Print?

Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.