• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Space travel, reentry of the capsule

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm watching the NOVA program on the first flight to the Moon (it's good) and a memory came to me I wanted to share.

Have you ever been to the Smithsonian and seen one of the actual, for-real capsules that had safely reentered the Earth's atmosphere?

The bottom is burnt black. You imagine if you ran your fingers over it they would come away with black ash.

It's covered in tiles and there were a couple missing, also interesting.

Nothing like actually seeing the real thing to come away with at least some changes to your previous concepts.

Last edited:

WilkinsonMJ

Registered
Reaction score
I'd love to make it to the Smithsonian some time to see them but there's a big old ocean in the way! That does sound very cool, the closest I can compare it to here is when I went to Stonehenge and touched them and it was so amazing to be that close to something so old and so known.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I went to the Smithsonian ages ago - do remember seeing that.

A few years ago, I visited the local Museum of Flight during a limited-time display of a SpaceX Dragon capsule, which was also impressive. (They had signs up around it: Do Not Pet the Dragon. Really think they should've sold bumper stickers or fridge magnets or something with that on it...) Hadn't even realized it was going to be there; we just wanted to visit the museum as a family thing.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd love to make it to the Smithsonian some time to see them but there's a big old ocean in the way! That does sound very cool, the closest I can compare it to here is when I went to Stonehenge and touched them and it was so amazing to be that close to something so old and so known.

There are so many historic places to go to in the UK. Besides being overwhelmed by the almost 500 year old doors of Westminster Abby I went to count the holes in the Royal Albert Hall and found young people camping out for a place on the standing floor for the PROMs concert. History is so cool when you can actually touch it.

[I now return the thread to regular programming, though reminiscing is always welcome.]

Last edited:

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
I'm watching the NOVA program on the first flight to the Moon (it's good) and a memory came to me I wanted to share.

Have you ever been to the Smithsonian and seen one of the actual, for-real capsules that had safely reentered the Earth's atmosphere?

The bottom is burnt black. You imagine if you ran your fingers over it they would come away with black ash.

It's covered in tiles and there were a couple missing, also interesting.

Nothing like actually seeing the real thing to come away with at least some changes to your previous concepts.

Don't know where you live, but if you are based in the UK, I believe the Apollo 10 command module is on loan to the Science Museum in London.

I keep saying I'm going to go to see it, but my health is a bit of an obstacle.