How many photos is 'too many' for a memoir?

Irene Eng

Registered
Reaction score
Hi comrades nonfic

I've a lot of black/white old pictures when they were developed from the dark room. A few are from late 1800s but mostly are from 20th century. My memoir stands now at 80k/5 chapters. I'd like to know, in general, how many are appreciated? Don't want to hear da readers screaming 'stop' ... :e2drown:

Last edited:

mewellsmfu

Registered
Reaction score
I have found most publishers will determine the number of photograph pages in a book.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As noted, I'm sure that can be discussed with the publisher. However, if you're self-publishing, I think it depends on the context. I tend to love imagery, but if this is a family memoir, I'd say no more than one of each major family member, major being someone who takes up a significant word count, or a major player in the story. Spare us the full family tree :) especially if you're only mentioning someone briefly. Mom and Dad's wedding pic would count for both people, IMO. For a major person playing a large role at multiple times, one of this person at major life stages (such as grandpa in his WWII uniform, then again holding you when you were little, for ex) should do it.

However, there is no magic number. A recent good example of the right number for me is The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown.

nadja1972

on submission
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrisandberg.com
Irene, are you self-publishing or are you including photos in a submission to agents/publishers?

Is your 80k-word manuscript really only made up of 5 chapters? That sounds like some darn long chapters.

Irene Eng

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Chris
:) I'll check that out.

I'm thinking to self publish but a few people are suggesting agent ...

happy 2019!

Irene Eng

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Nadja

Funny today I just have a chat on the number of chapters - it's too long. I'll have to think about it. ...

But in any case wish you a happy 2019!