Ownership/Sample Work Questions

MaryTyler

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first post on the forum. l've been freelancing for a little over six months.

Currently, l work as a ghostwriter and transfer ownership of my content to the agency or client-perfectly clear and no questions about that. l'd like to branch out from using what's in my portfolio from when l started, but l'm not sure that l'm ehtically permiited to share my work when seeking out new clients.

Should l notify my content manager that l would like to use content I've created as part of my portfolio? My name isn't attached to the files or content or anything claiming ownership-aside from potentially attaching them to applications with new clients. l'm not trying to publish them elsewhere- to be clear.

l'm a little clueless about some aspects of the business and marketing side when it comes to freelancing, and l moved a little more quickly into the field than l was expecting.

Hoping to learn a lot here,

Thanks

Last edited:

mewellsmfu

Registered
Reaction score
I have always freelanced directly for clients (usually magazines or newspapers), and have never worked for content providers, but I would think that you would talk to your manager and secure permission. Most ghostwritten material does not belong to you and you cannot use this in any form to represent your work unless the client gives you permission. It no longer belongs to you and is not technically "your" work even if you did write it.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I would talk to your manager and ask, but more importantly, I would create fresh works just for your portfolio, using your best writing, showing a couple of styles, and the kind of work you want.