Motel 6 turned information on Hispanic guests over to ICE

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I will never stay at a Motel 6 again. It's disgusting all these attacks on Hispanic immigrants.

NYT: Motel 6 Agrees to Pay $8.9 Million to Settle Claims It Helped ICE Arrest Guests
Motel 6 has agreed to pay up to $8.9 million to settle a lawsuit alleging that its employees provided the personal information of several Latino guests to federal immigration officials, leading to their detainment.

The class-action lawsuit, filed in January, encompasses the claims of eight hotel guests who said Motel 6 employees at two locations in Phoenix handed over private information to United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials without a warrant. The lawsuit asserted that the two motels invaded guests’ privacy and discriminated against them on the basis of their race and national origin.

Last September, Motel 6 acknowledged that employees at some of its locations in Arizona regularly handed over information that led to its guests’ being detained or deported. This practice was revealed in a report in The Phoenix New Times, prompting an array of calls to boycott Motel 6, which is owned by G6 Hospitality, a Texas-based company.

After the initial reports, a spokeswoman for G6 Hospitality — which is controlled by Blackstone, the private-equity firm — said the practice was “implemented at the local level without the knowledge of senior management.”

It might be a local action, but not an isolated one apparently: NYT: Motel 6 Gave Guest Lists to Immigration Agents in Washington State, Lawsuit Says
Early this year, a similar lawsuit was filed against Motel 6 by Washington State alleging that hotel employees in that state routinely gave immigration agents personal information about guests, including their names, birth dates and license plate numbers. That case is continuing, according to court records.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Motel 6? When does a motel anywhere get off handing information to anyone about anything? What's next? Checking to see if the guests are really married to each other?

The only occasion where a motel should be calling the authorities is if they see a guest carrying weapons, or saw the guest on the latest 'Crimestoppers'.

Hell yeah, boycott Motel 6. If I ever traveled, I wouldn't touch them with a ten-foot pole.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Motel 6? When does a motel anywhere get off handing information to anyone about anything? What's next? Checking to see if the guests are really married to each other?

The only occasion where a motel should be calling the authorities is if they see a guest carrying weapons, or saw the guest on the latest 'Crimestoppers'.

Hell yeah, boycott Motel 6. If I ever traveled, I wouldn't touch them with a ten-foot pole.

There was an attempt at a law to do just that back in the 80s, if I remember correctly. It was part of an interstate commerce bill and would have required opposite-sex couples checking in at hotels along interstate highways to display marriage certificates. That this was incredibly stupid and unworkable (not to mention moralistically intrusive in an era when cohabitation and premarital sex were completely normalized) is an understatement. And it would have cost hotel and motel owners quite a bit of revenue, I'm guessing, unless they were assuming unmarried couples would simply shrug and take two rooms. It may have stimulated the economy in some locales by encouraging a brisk trade in forged marriage licenses.

Note, I am trying to google this to supplement my incomplete memory, but as I don't remember the name of the proposed bill or the exact year, I'm not having much luck.

These right-wing morons in Congress have been at it for a while, but they're finally starting to pick up steam.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
"We'll leave the light on for you" ===> "We'll guide the ICE search light onto you".

-cb

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Note to Self: Blacklist Motel 6.