Sexual assault on a plane

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
A woman was sexually assaulted as she slept on a flight. Even more weird, the man's wife was sitting next to him as he did so.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-wife-sat-next-to-him/?utm_term=.ab6a29bc1b03

Even more squicky is the fact that the FBI states that sexual assault on planes has increased sharply in recent years. I'm guessing it has something to do with the overcrowding on flights. Nonetheless, it seems like a rather stupid thing to do. It's not like you wouldn't have witnesses or anywhere to run while in the air.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Well looks like I won't be sleeping on a plane any time soon. *shudders*

Seriously. I'd guess some creeps think the crowded conditions on planes are a chance to "cop a feel" and make it look like an accident? Except this guy was doing far more than "accidentally" brushing her breasts. Allegedly, his hand was in her pants and probing. Why do some guys think that's fun, let alone acceptable behavior?

God I miss those days when you sometimes had a whole seat row to yourself on a flight and could actually stretch out to nap.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Jesus! At least he's been convicted, serving up to a life sentence, then being deported.

The complaint said that people should hit the call button immediately. Sorry, but I'd say they should hitting something...er someone else first! :box:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with Jason: lash out suddenly, good and hard, and then apologize.
"I'm sooo sorry I did that. It happens sometimes, when I'm startled. And, honestly, I think a stranger's hand there would startle anyone. AND I'M SURE EVERYONE WHO HEARS ME WILL AGREE."

Last edited:

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Seriously. I'd guess some creeps think the crowded conditions on planes are a chance to "cop a feel" and make it look like an accident? Except this guy was doing far more than "accidentally" brushing her breasts. Allegedly, his hand was in her pants and probing. Why do some guys think that's fun, let alone acceptable behavior?

God I miss those days when you sometimes had a whole seat row to yourself on a flight and could actually stretch out to nap.

Ugh, seriously. I fly *a lot* and this kind of thing just makes my skin crawl. Honestly, it's one of many reasons I will fly three or four countries out of my way and tack on an extra day of travel time so I can upgrade to business class* -- I do like to be able to sleep when I fly, and I don't like being so close to someone that I'm touching them. At least if I shell out the extra 100 euro for business class, there's an extra wide armrest -- or on some airlines, an entire empty seat -- between me and the next person. Not everyone can do that, and we shouldn't have to just so we can fly un-groped.

(* - to clarify: sometimes taking indirect routes and overnight layovers means I can get absurdly cheap business class upgrades, even on transoceanic flights)

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
Even more weird, the man's wife was sitting next to him as he did so.

It's possible that is that he's abusive to her and she's so scared, traumatised and/or the abuse has resulted in her suffering from a large degree of learned helplessness that she felt unable to do anything about it.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Jesus! At least he's been convicted, serving up to a life sentence, then being deported.

Come to think of it, up to a life sentence seems rather longer than the sentences that get handed out for rape (let alone "lesser" sexual assaults) most of the time--when convictions happen at all. It's a heck of a lot longer than what Brock Turner got for essentially doing the same thing to an unconscious woman at a college party.

Methinks our justice system treats immigrants differently than it does college athletes. Surprising, I know (I hope I don't need the sarcasm smiley here).

Another thought is that juries and judges tend to be less sympathetic to victims who were assaulted at parties than they are to ones who were sleeping on airplanes. Hard to make a case that sleeping on a crowded plane is "asking for it."

It's possible that is that he's abusive to her and she's so scared, traumatised and/or the abuse has resulted in her suffering from a large degree of learned helplessness that she felt unable to do anything about it.

Sadly, this is very possible. Or maybe she was asleep, or absorbed in reading, or in denial, or...

Last edited:

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score

That was my thought as well, especially when I saw people on the internet seemingly more angry at her than at the perpetrator himself.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Come to think of it, up to a life sentence seems rather longer than the sentences that get handed out for rape (let alone "lesser" sexual assaults) most of the time--when convictions happen at all. It's a heck of a lot longer than what Brock Turner got for essentially doing the same thing to an unconscious woman at a college party.

Methinks our justice system treats immigrants differently than it does college athletes. Surprising, I know (I hope I don't need the sarcasm smiley here).

I don't doubt that there's prejudice at play. But, hey, maybe another lawyer can use this case as precedent against the next Brock Turner - because no-one in the system is going to admit that this was prejudice.
Or, maybe the protesters outside the Next Brock Turner's trial can use this to push for a higher penalty.

Another thought is that juries and judges tend to be less sympathetic to victims who were assaulted at parties than they are to ones who were sleeping on airplanes. Hard to make a case that sleeping on a crowded plane is "asking for it."
Yes. She was asleep, trapped with this guy, and there were lots of witnesses.
And, most jurors can imagine themselves stuck on a plane, train or bus but they can't imagine themselves going to a frat party. Or, being so drunk that they can't see trouble coming.

Sadly, this is very possible. Or maybe she was asleep, or absorbed in reading, or in denial, or...
Or just grateful that he was groping someone else for a while?