Sequels to Self-Published Novels ... What Are My Chances?

Brian P. White

Father, Husband, Soldier, Christian
Registered
Reaction score
Not wanting to let a good story go to waste, I self-published The Death Doll. Now I'm prepping its first sequel for publication. My question is: should I bother querying agents for the sequel to a self-pubbed novel, or would they even bother giving it a chance?

KBooks

Registered
Reaction score
Typically unless the first book was a huge breakout hit, you're probably going to have to query agents with an entirely new project. But congrats on completing your sequel, in any case.

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
Don't bother unless it's sold New York Times Bestseller type numbers. If you're interested in querying agents you need to shop around something brand new.

halion

Registered
Reaction score
How much money can self published authors even get? Is it a really viable option. A lot of talk about it.

PyriteFool

Registered
Reaction score
How much money can self published authors even get? Is it a really viable option. A lot of talk about it.
I’d recommend popping over to the Self Publishing subforum. Lots of valuable discussion there. AFAIK, the answer boils down to “can be viable with a lot of work and mastering a lot of adjacent skills or having the money to pay people with those adjacent skills.” Genre and output are also factors (certain genres work better in self-pub than others, and I think regularly updating series have an advantage over stand alone).

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score

I made about $3 when I did it!

But seriously, as in all things, to get money out you have to put in. You’ll be looking at spending a lot at first. Do check out the self publishing thread as Pyrite suggested...

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Check the self publishing forum for real help but on one I lost $4,000. But it got me about $100,000 in contract work. On another I made about $1,500, so far, where I've done worse than that on traditional publishing projects. It really depends on what you publish and how you sell it.

Jeff

halion

Registered
Reaction score
Contract work. Hmm. Not familiar with it. Interesting