Commas and multiple adjectives common-usage

Edwardian

Registered
Reaction score
e.g. the big, blue car.

Is it acceptable in a (8-12 year-old) fiction manuscript to omit the comma?
e.g.
The humongous rolling snowball
OR
The humongous, rolling snowball

The big, happy, green giant
OR
The big happy green giant
OR
The big, happy green giant

I do not mean when one adjective modifies another:
e.g. The dark green envelope. (which never takes a comma)

I am referring only to when adjectives do not modify each other.

The grammatical rule is to include the comma, but I often see published writers omitting it. My understanding of general comma-usage in English is to leave them out if their omission does not reduce clarity of meaning. Is it an author's choice? Can you leave them out in some places and not in others? Must the adjective and comma usage be uniform throughout the manuscript, or can the author judge on a case by case basis based on clarity and awkwardness?

I'm editing a manuscript so I want to get this clear before I continue. Thanks up front.

Last edited:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
To comma or not to comma - dark green envelope - is a matter of choice, intent, and style.

Were the above choices my dilemma I would probably go for omitting all the commas and letting the publisher's copy editor earn his money.

Alternatively, I might rethink the sentences to avoid a succession of adjectives.

I googled 'the comma dilemma - multiple adjectives'. :flag:

Good luck. :Hug2:

The more knowledgeable folks will pop in shortly, I am sure. :Hug2:

ETA_ They did and I take note. :Hug2:

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Why would you want to omit the comma?

Why would the age group matter?

If you omit it, I will assume the adjectives modify each other. So a "big, happy green giant" would be a giant who is big (probably not a necessary adjective) and a happy shade of green.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
e.g. the big, blue car.

Is it acceptable in a (8-12 year-old) fiction manuscript to omit the comma?
e.g.
The humongous rolling snowball
OR
The humongous, rolling snowball

The big, happy, green giant
OR
The big happy green giant
OR
The big, happy green giant.

I agree with sage, spot-on Sage. Grammar is ageless. I'll add that published writers aren't necessarily universally correct.

Many times, comma or no comma depends on whether the adjectives are coordinate or cumulative.

Quick tests for coordinate adjectives are (1) does reversing their order make sense? And (2) do they make sense with "and" between them? If so, they are coordinate adjectives and need a comma.

Applying the test, "The big, blue car" and "The big, happy, green giant" are coordinate adjectives and require commas.

If they don't make sense, they are cumulative and don't need a comma. In this case, "The humongous and rolling snowball" or "the rolling, humoungus snowball" don't make the best sense, so the line doesn't need commas.

https://www.myenglishpages.com/site_php_files/grammar-lesson-adjectives-placement.php

Last edited:

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Many times, comma or no comma depends on whether the adjectives are coordinate or cumulative.

Quick tests for coordinate adjectives are (1) does reversing their order make sense? And (2) do they make sense with "and" between them? If so, they are coordinate adjectives and need a comma.

Wow! Great test - thanks for that.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
If they don't make sense, they are cumulative and don't need a comma.

Yeah, if you can't mix up or reverse the order of the adjectives without making a hash of the meaning, no commas are required.

Also, when the first adjective modifies the second adjective, there is no comma. Example: dark brown hair.

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
I disagree with relying solely on the test given above, about reversing order and inserting a mental and. It doesn't hold up in practice, IMO. Case in point: I've never seen a comma between adjectives for the phrase "little old woman." Or even ratty old hockey jersey. It has to do with the kind of adjectives you're using and what order you use them in. Anyway, I wrote a blog post on it here: https://cathleentownsend.com/2015/09/13/more-than-one-adjective-comma-or-no-comma/, if the OP wants to read more of my thoughts on this.

Last edited:

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I disagree with relying solely on the test given above, about reversing order and inserting a mental and.

Nothing to disagree with. As stated, it's a quick fix--not a cure-all. Thus, the accompanying URL for complete understanding.