Trump was in the room...

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've spent three years thinking "This is it. This is what sinks Trump." Then "No, THIS, this is what sinks Trump." I hope I hope I hope one of these days I'm right.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
PLEASE let Christmas come early this year!

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I've spent three years thinking "This is it. This is what sinks Trump." Then "No, THIS, this is what sinks Trump." I hope I hope I hope one of these days I'm right.

+1

If we dug a grave at each offense that surely, must, no-way-in-heck-couldn't end this disaster of a regime, we'd be clean through the planet and halfway to Mars at this point.

And meanwhile, damage - some of it irreversible, I fear - is compounded daily...

gem1122

We can pickle that
Registered
Reaction score

Same here. It just feels as if nothing short of murder (maybe not even that) will get him out of office. On top of that, he might even win re-election. Teflon Don, wtf?

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Let's not go there? That's horrifying.

I'm sorry, I have to, but with something more hopeful following.

The GOP legislators are already giving Trump a pass on this, saying violating campaign finance laws is nothing, everyone does it and it isn't an impeachable offense. Some of these are the same crowd that thought Bill Clinton was impeachable for lying about an affair. Never mind the false equivalence that Trump's finance violations are truly criminal, not merely having to give back a donation or three that were made illegally.

So I wouldn't get too excited about this one.

But diverting both Trump Foundation donations and donations to Trump's inauguration into personal coffers, now you're looking at something criminal. Then add that some of those donations look very much like laundered bribes. And the Saudi's booking 500 rooms in a Trump hotel?

Trump is doing his money laundering as usual not realizing it's one thing to pay off a state prosecutor (see FL) but it's quite another to have some of the best FBI investigators looking at that blatant money laundering which they are very familiar with, coupled with a lot of evidence some of this money can be directly tied to quid pro quo exchanges, aka bribes.

Conspiring with Russia to sway the election is beginning to pale next to Trump's greed and believing he can use the office like all those kleptocratic dictators he so admires.

I can't wait to see what Mueller's report is going to show.

Last edited:

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
It's a FEC violation. Does that mean jail time or fine? I'm no lawyer, but what I read on the net seem to indicate a hefty fine.

-cb

I don't know, but as MaeZe noted above, this one is more blatant than most. This one involves an attempt to influence the outcome of the election by burying information that may have made some people not vote for him, had they known.

We can hope that this crime, added to the long and growing list, leads to more than just fines.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I don't know, but as MaeZe noted above, this one is more blatant than most. This one involves an attempt to influence the outcome of the election by burying information that may have made some people not vote for him, had they known.

We can hope that this crime, added to the long and growing list, leads to more than just fines.

I suspect the people who voted for him still would have. The religious right already sold their collective souls when they backed a man who bragged about pussy grabbing, among other things. They were all salivating too much at the thought of him stacking the courts (which is what he and his allies are quietly doing at this moment) to worry about a little thing like hypocrisy.

They don't seem to care what he does. He could murder someone in broad daylight, and his base would shrug it off (as would most of the Republicans in Congress). The only thing that seems to be eroding his support in some circles is his inability (thus far) to make good on his promise to build the wall.

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's a FEC violation. Does that mean jail time or fine? I'm no lawyer, but what I read on the net seem to indicate a hefty fine.

-cb
From this source: http://time.com/5374619/donald-trump-campaign-finance-law-crimes/

“The difference between a campaign finance violation that is a crime and a campaign finance violation is a civil matter is whether the action was taking knowingly and willfully,” explained Paul S. Ryan, the Vice President of Policy & Litigation at Common Cause, the non-partisan organization that filed complaints with the Department of Justice and the Federal Election Commission earlier this year regarding these payments.

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
So? Fine or jail time?

-cb

The article that MaeZe linked doesn't come right out and say jail time, but this quote from it suggests that might be the case, since it appears he did know it was illegal:

If he had no knowledge he was doing anything illegal, but merely donated more money than the federally allotted limit, he potentially could have faced a less severe repercussion, such as a monetary fine from the Federal Election Commission.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
So Trump may not get jail time from this. He may otherwise get jail time from all the other scams and frauds he perpetrated.

-cb

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Now this is a big deal.

Vox: Allen Weisselberg, the Trump Organization’s chief financial officer, gets immunity deal
He spoke to prosecutors in the investigation into Michael Cohen, but he’s the one who knows all about Trump’s businesses.