New writer

awriter

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everybody!

I'm new to this site and to writing in general. I started writing for creative/personal purposes (not work, school, etc.) a little over a year ago, but most of my early stories fizzled out quickly due to a lack of inspiration, except for a roughly 25% complete draft of a novella that is on the back burner right now. Near the end of June I found an idea that clicked, which led to the novel that I've been working on intermittently since then. I just finished my first NaNoWriMo and the first draft is still pretty far from completion, so I'm taking a step back from it in December to work on a few short stories. Hopefully I can finish the first draft in the next year and maybe even finish editing it as well.

Most of my writing thus far has a strong literary bent, with much more emphasis on characterization than plotting. The short story ideas I'm considering right now all involve varying amounts of surrealism as well, and at least one is almost a horror story. So far I've not attempted any genre stuff, but I could see myself writing some fantasy or scifi eventually.

As far as reading goes, I have to admit I don't read nearly as much as I should/would like to, but I've begun making an effort to change that since I started writing. What I do read is mostly literary, like my own writing, and often "the classics" since I haven't read many of them and sites like Project Gutenberg make it almost too easy to get copies. At some point I'll go to a library/bookstore and get some newer books to read so that I don't end up writing like someone who died a hundred years ago.

I have never beta read before, but I'm interested and willing to be a beta reader for other writers here, though my critiques will probably be limited in usefulness since I'm a very inexperienced writer. My hope is that critiquing and beta reading can help me gain experience as a writer (alongside actually writing my own stuff, of course).

Outside of writing, I studied computer science in college (just a bachelor's degree) and worked briefly as a programmer, so while I'm not an expert in either area by any means, I might have a bit of insight into those topics if anyone is curious. I've also played guitar as a hobby for a little over ten years. I started out learning rock, then switched to jazz, and am currently trying to teach myself classical guitar. I listen to a lot of music as well as playing it.

This forum looks like it is both a great community and a really useful resource so I'm excited to be a member. Thanks for reading!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Sounds like some interesting writing you’re doing!

Welcome to AW!

awriter

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! I certainly hope the writing turns out to be interesting (at least some of it).

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Hello awriter - and welcome. It's always great to have more literary-ish-writing, classics-reading folks around here. :e2coffee:

WilkinsonMJ

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome aboard! I'm new here too but I can tell you that there is a wealth of useful info to be found and your questions posted will most certainly be answered. Good luck with it all!

Lolly12

Registered
Reaction score
Wilkinson is right. Loads of useful info here. I've been on a week or so and have barely begun mining it. So welcome!

awriter

Registered
Reaction score
Hello to a fellow new user and thanks for the warm welcome. Good luck with your writing too!

awriter

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! Just yesterday I found enough info and resources to keep me busy for a long time and I've barely scratched the surface here. I think I'll have to be careful not to get so preoccupied with the forums that I spend all my time reading and commenting here instead of writing ;)

FlyBird

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome fellow Californian! I think we have a lot in common, I am a programmer too. I also tried to sound “literary” in my writing, though not sure to what effect. Right now I am reading “Dracula” on the train which is a pretty old book but I love it.

awriter

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! It does sound like we have a lot in common. I've never read Dracula myself, but I definitely would like to at some point considering how hugely influential it is.

bapeery

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW! I can tell you in the short time that I've been on the forums, the information has been amazingly helpful. You are surrounded by great talent! Best of luck to you, see you in the forums!