New to AW and to forums!

sarahosborn

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm pretty new to posting in forums and I'm also ultra-shy but I really would like to be part of a writing community! Writing is my favorite thing in the world, but it's also something I struggle with as a perfectionist, and also because of low-confidence and being easily distracted. I figured if I could interact with other writers and be able to see their passions for their work it might be inspiring for me. I also love to discuss writing and storytelling (my fiance thinks it's annoying that we can't just watch a movie or TV show without me discussing the show's themes and symbolisms lol XD)

I enjoy writing sci-fi, fantasy, horror with a touch of comedy, and I'm very character-focused. I'm not much into the idea of "good guys" and "bad guys". I tend to write characters as gritty, honest, and unconcerned with whether they appear to be heroes or villains to others.

I would like to expand a bit and eventually try my hand at writing other genres, including ones I'm not usually interested in like paranormal romance or historical dramas. But for now my passions remain with sci-fi, epic fantasies, and gory horror with a hint of comedy. My favorite writers are Clive Barker and Anne Rice, and I've been a fan of Stephen King since I was 14. I also love Greek mythology. My hobbies outside of writing are jewelry-making, RPG video games, watching indie horror movies (I love watching hidden gems that barely anyone has heard of), reading, and drawing.

It's nice to meet you all and I'm glad to finally be coming out of my shell to be able to talk about my writing!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

FlyBird

Registered
Reaction score
I'm also ultra-shy but I really would like to be part of a writing community!
Me too but I think if we can develope a thick skin here and help each other we will all become better at writing. win-win! I like writing sci-fi too.

Krimigen

Registered
Reaction score
Hey there! I'm pretty new too. I feel you with the discussing themes and symbolism--my partner has made it a game to see how easily she can send me on a nerdy rant.

Welcome to AW!

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

If you love reading and like to discuss writing, you might be interested in critting, that is, reading bits of other people's writing and telling them about how you felt reading it.

Crits or critiques are pretty special, and have their own subforum called Share Your Work (SYW). You need 50 posts to start a new thread in SYW and post something of your own for others to read.

Until you have 50 posts, why not go to Share Your Work and read some crits, and carefully read the stickies, and maybe try your own hand at doing a crit ?

The password for Share Your Work is vista.

There's an FAQ listing passwords.

Once you have 50 posts, you can start your own thread in Share Your Work. Until then, reading crits, and trying your own hand at critting will help you understand what it's like to be critted.

Disa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
disawylde.wordpress.com
Hi, there. Welcome aboard. I'm usually shy, too but not in forums. I've been here years,but life interrupts and I'm off onto something else and putting my writing on the backburner. This is a great forum. There's a lot to learn, sometimes I read more than I interact. Just wanted to say hi. I make jewelry, too (and other miscellaneous things). Also, I get in trouble when watching movies because he thinks I'm "analyzing them to death". HA. Oh well, jump in and say what you want, there's a lot to do and see around here.

bapeery

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW!!!! As a fellow Stephen King fan (all hail!), I am excited for you to join the community (I'm new as well!). These forums should be an excellent outlet for you. Best of luck!