Question about Indefinite Electronic Media Rights

Mytherea

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, everyone! I have a quick question regarding Electronic Media Rights (for both e-book and audio), and I'm hoping this is the right place to ask. See, I just sold a story to an anthology that has this one line in the contract which says the anthology will be offered in print (PoD), audio, and e-book formats indefinitely (emphasis mine). The rest of the contract looks normal, buying first worldwide rights for print, e-book, and audio, I still own the rights to the story, they're simply purchasing the right to publish, etc. Now, in this situation, if, say, ten years down the road (or whatever) I'd like to bundle that short story with a collection published myself through--I don't know, let's say Amazon--would I be allowed? Or would I have to buy and/or beg back the rights to the story? Would I still be able to sell it again as a reprint? Or does the indefinite e-book publication scuttle that? Is this normal? (I realize this may be an issue caused by it being an e-book with print on demand, so therefore, never technically out of print, so I may be just freaking out over nothing.)

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Does the contract use the word "exclusive?" Otherwise it probably means that they can continue to offer the book (with your story) as long as the book keeps selling.

Mytherea

Registered
Reaction score
Nah, no exclusive. Just "first worldwide rights." I'm emailing the editor to ask if that's first worldwide anthology rights or serial rights, though. And *whew* it sounds like I'm getting freaked out over nothing.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
We really can't help you. You need to get an attorney to make clear to you what the contract suggests, I think. I hope it works out in your favour.

Mytherea

Registered
Reaction score
I was able to get clarification. It just meant that the anthology would be available as long as possible and I was panicking for no reason. Sorry! (And thank you for replying)