Pelosi and Schumer Own Trump

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Not exactly sure what any of the prez's advisors were thinking when they helped him put together a "SURPRISE! We're doing this with the cameras rolling" meeting with Pelosi and Schumer but oh, joy, did it backfire!

Trump, in his usual, "you can't say anything without me one-upping you" bluster, forcibly stated he would "take the credit" for the government shut-down if Congress didn't give him $5 billion to fund his "wall."
“I am proud to shut down the government for border security, Chuck,” Trump told Schumer. “I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down. I’m not going to blame you for it.”

Mike Pence sagged in his seat, his eyes closed, and he appeared to be either sleeping or wishing he was anywhere but there while Schumer took pot-shots at Trump's statements, and Pelosi reminded the president about how Article 1 of the Constitution works, holding up one finger to make sure the president understood.

It was great entertainment, just not the kind Trump planned on. LA Times reporter Eli Stokols reported Trump had what a parent would term a tantrum after Pelosi and Schumer left.
“He stormed out of the Oval, walked into an anteroom just off the Oval Office and had in his hand a folder of briefing papers. And he just scattered them out of frustration — threw them across the room," Stokols said on MSNBC's "Hardball," citing his own reporting with White House officials.

All I can say is I'm looking forward to having someone, anyone, in charge who will call out Trump's lies and stand up to his bullying on the public stage.

Last edited:

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Admittedly I only watched the short clip of this exchange but it struck me that Pelosi and Schumer were a bit flummoxed at having to deal with someone so intemperate as Trump. If you are used to being an adult and speaking to other adults, it's futile to try to talk rationally to someone who isn't rational.

I did read that Pelosi later said that it was like having a "tinkle contest with a skunk and getting tinkle all over you" which was a very lady like way of putting it and amused me quite a bit.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
As I was watching I couldn't help wondering how it might have turned out had Nancy Pelosi not been in the room, given Schumer and Trump's on-again, off-again relationship. Schumer seemed to take his cues from Pelosi, which is a plus in the Schumer column . . . but I'll never forget he offered Trump twenty-five billion dollars for his wall. An offer Schumer later rescinded, but still he did make it.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm hella pissed at Schumer and Pelosi for the past couple years, but the whole 'you know a GOP president bragging about winning ND is in trouble,' followed by 'I did win ND! I did!' was hilarious, as was Pence playing Elf on the Shelf.

Trump is so unbelievably stupid it's just stunning.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Elf on a shelf. :roll: So perfect.

What a pig Trump is. He's just an awful human being.

Of course he kept talking over Pelosi, she's not a loudmouth boor. And he has issues with women. But she got her point across for anyone listening. And she did not cave one bit.

Schumer stood up nicely, but it wouldn't have mattered if Pelosi wasn't there. Trump is incapable of a consensus discussion.

Local news is calling it a bizarre scene. In an after-the-meeting-Trump-had-to-get-a-last-word-in, Trump claimed the meeting was actually pleasant and/or productive.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I caught a bit of this on the radio on the way home tonight. I kept hearing him talking over Pelosi, saying something along the lines of, "WE PICKED UP TWO SEATS IN THE SENATE!!! DID WE OR DID WE NOT WIN THE SENATE?!!!" Rinse, repeat.

I'm glad he got his ass handed to him. He's such a miserable human being.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know I have said this in the past. The estimates for the cost of that wall are laughable. It is going to run well over $100 billion. There is no infrastructure to even begin bringing in the equipment needed to build the wall. Before the wall will have to be the roads to access the areas. There isn't enough concrete or steel in the US either, and given the tariffs that countries are slapping on imports, that will drive the cost up.

Look at the insanely underestimated costs of The Big Dig. That is plagued with problems to this day and is constant need of repairs.

Link 1 Boston Globe

Link 2 NASA PDF file

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, it was a pleasure to watch. I only saw a short clip while at work, but when I got home, my husband and I watched the entire thing. Anyone else get the feeling that Schumer planned the whole thing? He was just grinning through the entire thing, throwing out the bait and watching 45 take it.

If it's true that he never wanted to actually be president, then I don't doubt that he will shut us down in a Hail Mary attempt to get his legacy wall. And I'm not so sure he'll give us the back pay like every president during a shutdown has. I think ya'll know I work for the FAA, so I will quite possibly have off the week of Christmas. It won't kill us, but I know many people who will suffer.

Problem is, if the "president" shuts us down, then what will change his mind to get us back to work? If it's only the funding for the wall, does that mean that the Dems are going to have to give it to him? Or will someone be able to convince him to back off? And how long will it take to convince him to do so, if such a thing is even possible?

I cannot believe the president of the United States sat before the media and told everyone he would be proud to shut down the government. In fact, I do believe he implied that he would do it better than Schumer because the last shutdown was Schumer's fault, and it didn't work.

Does a shutdown ever accomplish what is intended?

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
Elf on a shelf. :roll: So perfect.

What a pig Trump is. He's just an awful human being.

Of course he kept talking over Pelosi, she's not a loudmouth boor. And he has issues with women. But she got her point across for anyone listening. And she did not cave one bit.

Schumer stood up nicely, but it wouldn't have mattered if Pelosi wasn't there. Trump is incapable of a consensus discussion.

Local news is calling it a bizarre scene. In an after-the-meeting-Trump-had-to-get-a-last-word-in, Trump claimed the meeting was actually pleasant and/or productive.

It wasn't about consensus—everyone does know *45 demands acquiescence—it was about leadership. There was one leader in that room and now everyone knows that, too.

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
It wasn't about consensus—everyone does know *45 demands acquiescence—it was about leadership. There was one leader in that room and now everyone knows that, too.

Past history with trump apologists suggests that many of them will obtusely (and, of course, incorrectly) label that meeting as a win for 45. Such people tend to stick to their narrow view of the world.

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
That's true and I see it in my own family. I've learned I can't do anything about it, though; they're immune to facts and truth. Their denial is based on fear as they see their world crumbling about them, a world that should never have existed in the first place.

Last edited:

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
I was leaving for work this morning but saw a clip on Morning Joe with Pompeo and the Fux News Crew. The Fuxers were actually asking Pompeo hard questions and not at all meekly. Maybe Nancy has started something. Maybe the cheesy polyester sweater is unravelling! --s6

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
This couldn't have worked out better for Pelosi. She reinforced her position as House leader, effectively crushing the questioning of whether she'll stand up to Trump.

I love this clip of her leaving the White House yesterday (warning, NSFW audio).

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
This couldn't have worked out better for Pelosi. She reinforced her position as House leader, effectively crushing the questioning of whether she'll stand up to Trump.

I love this clip of her leaving the White House yesterday (warning, NSFW audio).

It really summarizes the reason so many right wing people hate Pelosi so much: she's very effective at what she does (her being a strong woman doesn't endear her to them either).

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I know I have said this in the past. The estimates for the cost of that wall are laughable. It is going to run well over $100 billion. There is no infrastructure to even begin bringing in the equipment needed to build the wall. Before the wall will have to be the roads to access the areas. There isn't enough concrete or steel in the US either, and given the tariffs that countries are slapping on imports, that will drive the cost up.

Look at the insanely underestimated costs of The Big Dig. That is plagued with problems to this day and is constant need of repairs.

Link 1 Boston Globe

Link 2 NASA PDF file
For $100 billion, you could line the border with sniffer dogs and handlers. Or, make good, legal American jobs to hire enough people to process visas in a timely fashion. Including the backlog. People would be more likely
go the legal route, if they thought there was a chance they would at least be able to jump through the hoops in a timely fashion.
OR
For $100 billion, you could probably buy Mexico, and make everybody an American. Added benefit, the narrow end of Mexico would be easier to block off from Central America.

Last edited:

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It is extremely unpleasant to watch an old man getting his fat ass handed to him. It was extremely pleasant to watch two Democratic pols surgically remove and hand Donald J. Trump his fat ass as Ayatollah Mike Pence sat dumbly by.

Give Nancy Pelosi credit. She tried to give Trump a graceful out. She said several times the discussion should continue after the cameras were out of the room. She tried to throw the doofus a lifeline, but Trump being Trump, he ignored it. He tried to talk over Pelosi, cut her off, mansplain and patronize her, but she let him know without so much as raising her voice that she wasn't here for his shit.

Chucky "Let's Make A Deal" Schumer wasn't quite as steely in his resolve, but he zinged Trump good with his Washington Post reference and President Baby Hands was pissed because apparently he felt Chucky disrespected him by not making eye contact.

Speaking with MSNBC’s Chris Matthews on Tuesday evening, LA Times White House correspondent Eli Stokols reported that after Trump left his Oval Office meeting, he immediately threw the sort of fit a three year old might have in the cereal aisle after being told they’d be getting Cheerios instead of Lucky Charms.

Per Stokols:
He stormed out of the Oval, walked into an anteroom just off the Oval Office and had in his hand a folder of briefing papers. And he just scattered them out of frustration. Threw them across the room.
As Stokols continued, he painted a picture not of a president whining about having been out-maneuvered politically, but of Trump as a little pissy baby because Chuck Schumer was basically negging him.

“[Trump] expressed frustration to the people who were present mainly with Chuck Schumer. His old New York sparring buddy he felt got the better of him. Goaded him into it,” Stokols said. “[Trump] remarked about how Schumer wouldn’t make eye contact with the president and was actually looking back at the cameras as he was making comments to the president, but directing those comments to the camera. It frustrated the president more than what worried his aides.”

Anyway, just a fun little reminder that the commander in chief is a petulant child who has hissy fits and throws his toys when people aren’t nice to him. You needed that reminder, right?

The icing on the cake is if Trump's hissy fit leads to a government shutdown (and I hope it doesn't), HE SAID HE'LL TAKE THE BLAME FOR IT. Which is why Mitch McConnell drinks so much bourbon.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Exactly. Pelosi did try to throw the doofus a line. He wasn't having any of it, then he heard his name and lit up, only too happy to claim the shutdown. On of the late night guys said Trump was like Alexa--he doesn't listen until he hears his name. IMHO Chuck was not making eye contact because he might crack up laughing. I have been in faculty meetings when one doesn't dare make eye contact for that reason--s6

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Which is why Mitch McConnell drinks so much bourbon.

Kentucky bourbon is much cheaper now, thanks to tariffs counter-measures by Canada, the EU, and China... |8-}

Or maybe he's getting tired of winning?

-cb

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
It is extremely unpleasant to watch an old man getting his fat ass handed to him. It was extremely pleasant to watch two Democratic pols surgically remove and hand Donald J. Trump his fat ass as Ayatollah Mike Pence sat dumbly by.

Give Nancy Pelosi credit. She tried to give Trump a graceful out. She said several times the discussion should continue after the cameras were out of the room. She tried to throw the doofus a lifeline, but Trump being Trump, he ignored it. He tried to talk over Pelosi, cut her off, mansplain and patronize her, but she let him know without so much as raising her voice that she wasn't here for his shit.

Chucky "Let's Make A Deal" Schumer wasn't quite as steely in his resolve, but he zinged Trump good with his Washington Post reference and President Baby Hands was pissed because apparently he felt Chucky disrespected him by not making eye contact.

The icing on the cake is if Trump's hissy fit leads to a government shutdown (and I hope it doesn't), HE SAID HE'LL TAKE THE BLAME FOR IT. Which is why Mitch McConnell drinks so much bourbon.

Oh, I DO like that name for Schumer. It fits perfectly. Trump is a thoroughgoing misogynist and his responses to Pelosi were unsurprising, but those appeals to Schumer were just that: appeals. He expected a different outcome from Schumer given their prior "negotiations". He might have got it too had it not been for Pelosi's and the media's presence. I have no illusions wrt Schumer. He'll follow and probably will eventually do the right thing, but he's not leader material.

Yes, Trump said he'd "take the mantle" for the shutdown, but he's already tweeting a shutdown is on the Dems. He lies and he especially lies when he says he'll take responsibility for anything. Doubt if he even takes responsibility for his McDonald's order. just sayin'

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Responsibility for the shutdown won't be taken, it will be given and the majority will do the giving. Trump's supporters have never been a majority and they are thinning out. --s6

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, Trump said he'd "take the mantle" for the shutdown, but he's already tweeting a shutdown is on the Dems. He lies and he especially lies when he says he'll take responsibility for anything. Doubt if he even takes responsibility for his McDonald's order. just sayin'

I wonder if, when trouble comes, he would cast shade on his first wife, and deny the kids are his? Yanno, if one of the Trumplets gets charged?
"He's no son of mine!"