Time Person of the Year: 'The Guardians and the War on Truth'

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Time has announced its Person of the Year, four journalists and one newspaper:

"Jamal Khashoggi, the Washington Post contributor who was killed at the Saudi Arabian consulate in Istanbul in October."
"Wa Lone and Kyaw Soe Oo, two Reuters journalists who were arrested one year ago in Myanmar while they were working on stories about the killings of Rohingya Muslims."
"'The Guardians' also includes the journalists at the Capital Gazette, the Annapolis, Maryland newspaper where five employees were murdered by a gunman last June."
"Maria Ressa, chief executive of the Philippine news website Rappler. She was indicted last month on tax evasion charges — a case that free speech and civil liberties advocates have warned is part of a wider crackdown on dissent by Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte's administration."

Karl Vick, the author of the Time's cover story about "The Guardians," wrote that "this ought to be a time when democracy leaps forward, an informed citizenry being essential to self-government. Instead, it's in retreat."
And "the story of this assault on truth is, somewhat paradoxically, one of the hardest to tell," he added.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Wow. The comments on that Tweet are horrible.

Some of them are, though not all. Seems like this is an issue no matter what. SOMEONE will always make an obscure reference to some evil thing they think Obama did years ago, or defend a dictator, or simply make snarky comments in order to prove how "clever" they are.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I'm sorry. I really should have focused on the story. The people honored were doing their job in the face of brutal, literally murderous opposition and should be remembered for their hard work and commitment to honesty, integrity, and the truth.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I'm sorry to have ambushed you, Alessandra. It was early when I saw it and I didn't scroll through the comments, just looked at the photos. I'll edit the post to include a warning. :Hug2:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well deserved, especially in this age of the worldwide assault on journalists who tell the truth.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
The anti Tweeters are just pissed because it wasn't Trump. He claims Time asked him but he turned them down. They say it never happened. Wonder who to believe? I don't.--s6