The Smocking Gun?

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Lord knows I'd never defend Trump and I don't do social media, but if twitter has spellcheck and he's relying on it, then smocking is a word.

My aunt used to smock and very time consuming it was (and of course she used a needle and thread, not a gun..)

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Lord knows I'd never defend Trump and I don't do social media, but if twitter has spellcheck and he's relying on it, then smocking is a word.

My aunt used to smock and very time consuming it was (and of course she used a needle and thread, not a gun..)

True, which is why I always tell my students (not that they all listen) not to over rely on spell check. It can do nothing when you use the right spelling for the wrong word. Which they do often, frequently to hilarious effect.

I would assume #45 has staff who could check his tweets for spelling errors. Everything he tweets is official White House communication, so it makes sense to be careful.

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com

It's so sad, though, that a U.S. president has to sit around and smock his own kevlar wear. Shame...

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
I would assume #45 has staff who could check his tweets for spelling errors. Everything he tweets is official White House communication, so it makes sense to be careful.

TRUMP: I love Twitter.... it's like owning your own newspaper--- without the losses.

SPICER: The President's tweets are official policy.

SANDERS: The President's tweets speak for themselves.

There.

-cb

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
How about that Chuck and Nancy show? The same arrogant blustering that let smocking gun get by led to that debacle. The orange windbag is coming apart at the seams. And the "Weekend At Bernies" impersonation that Pence was doing was not helping his case. --s6

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Michael Cohen has just been sentenced to three years in prison.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/12/12/cohen-sentenced-to-3-years-in-prison-1060060

Cohen, who has had a relationship with Trump dating back a dozen years, used his time before the court to hit back at the president’s recent declaration that his former attorney was “weak.” Cohen said he agreed with Trump’s assessment but noted his "weakness was a blind loyalty to Donald Trump."
ADVERTISING

“Time and time again I felt it as my duty to cover up his dirty deeds,” Cohen said, standing before his whole family in the courtroom. Both his mother and father cried at points during the hearing.

Last edited:

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
Dear America, thank you for your president being such a... don't even know what adjective... because it's deflecting the world's attention away from the utter shambles that's the British government in the throes of Brexit.

Smocking gun :ROFL:

Any plans to impeach him anytime soon? Apparently the Tories failed again to get May out on a vote of no confidence.

Last edited:

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Dear America, thank you for your president being such a... don't even know what adjective... because it's deflecting the world's attention away from the utter shambles that's the British government in the throes of Brexit.

Smocking gun :ROFL:

Any plans to impeach him anytime soon? Apparently the Tories failed again to get May out on a vote of no confidence.

It's okay. We still get news about May and the Brexit omnishambles. If only Trump and May deflected our attention from the ghastly mess that is the Coalition government in Oz.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I fear we’re in for big disappoinments ahead.

Impeachment is a political process, and I don’t see a majority in this Congress voting in favor of that.

And from what I read, Mueller is unlikely to try to charge a sitting President with crimes, which would test whether that’s even constitutional.

Andif he does charge Mango Mussolini, and the new A.G. allows it (questionable), it’ll go to the Supreme Court. I’m not optimistic that this Supreme Court would find that it was constitutional to do so.

I think the best we can hope for is a president so poisoned in public opinion that he doesn’t run again in 2020. :cry:

This is probably spot on. Putting all the progressive eggs in the Mueller basket does not seem to me to be the best move here.

What happened in the November election was good, but it isn't enough. Trumpland was shaken and stirred, but despite the knee in the nether regions, a bloodied nose is not a broken nose. I have my own doubts Mueller's report (even if it is released to Congress and the public) is going to include a "smoking gun." There are too many dead-enders who will hang tough with President Baby Hands no matter what.

The best the Left may get when the Mueller investigation finally wraps up (hello, 2019!) is a mortally wounded Trump and Republican rats scrambling overboard to abandon ship. It looks good going into 2020, but a lot can change between now and then and despite projections of generic Democrats beating Trump's ass, you still can't beat someone with no one and if they put up the wrong candidate against His Highness, they'll get smoked like a sausage.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
or they could get smocked like a pinafore? Smocking is labor intense and a successful smocker must be ever focused. Mueller strikes me as intelligent, focused and detail oriented. I think he is smocking a case so tightly that a smoking gun won't matter. I doubt he will impeach unless he finds evidence of treason. But why impeach? Let Trump damage the party on his own. --s6

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
The best the Left may get when the Mueller investigation finally wraps up (hello, 2019!) is a mortally wounded Trump and Republican rats scrambling overboard to abandon ship. It looks good going into 2020, but a lot can change between now and then and despite projections of generic Democrats beating Trump's ass, you still can't beat someone with no one and if they put up the wrong candidate against His Highness, they'll get smoked like a sausage.

This, I think. A lot of it will be down to how bad and sleazy Trump and the GOP continue to look, what happens with the economy (slow downs and even a recession are predicted for 2019 or 2020), and to who turns up to vote in 2020. I hope that the results of the 2018 election are sufficiently reinforcing to younger voters and other people who feel the system is trying to freeze them out that they want to try for an even bigger coup in 2020.

I also wonder what will happen when supreme court decisions take peoples' health insurance away, take away women's right to choose, makes it harder and harder for people to vote, and continue to side with corporations that shit on workers and to support a financial system that will likely drive us to another recession (and maybe even reverse some rights that people recently gained via earlier supreme court decisions).

I also hope the Dems get someone who is both inspiring and squeaky clean. Because whatever is left of the GOP by 2020 will be actively hunting for dirt, and if they can't find any, they likely will try to manufacture it. They're nothing if not about revenge.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Watching Morning Joe. This a.m. the smocking ass tweeted a haughty bye-bye to Congress because he is going to Nashville to talk to farmers so does not have time to negotiate the shutdown. He added that farmers love him and he loves Tennessee farmers. One small problem sez Mika-- he is not going to Nashville, he is going to New Orleans. Of course that error is minor. I doubt that most of his core knows enough US Geography to spot that error. Sadly, they do not have enough grasp of American Government to realize the political corner Trump has painted himself into. And they probably think his saying that the FBI probe is a vendetta makes perfect sense. His claim that the FBI found no evidence of conspiracy is smug but stupid. He continues to act like a guilty person, maybe not guilty of treason but who can doubt that he is a useful idiot for Putin.

The approval ratings this a.m. should be a clue but they don't listen to the Fake News. Michael Steele said yesterday that Trump is shrinking the party. Warren on the other hand seems to be growing her following despite the likability thing.

So far I like JulianCastro best. The announcement of candidacy in English and Spanish cracked me up. Certain to rile up the xenophobes but I am a Spanish teacher and think exposure to two or three languages is good for a person. --s6

Last edited:

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I’m firmly in “Any Democrat 2020” mode. I’m a registered independent, and I keep wishing there was a truly liberal party I could vote for, but “Not Republican” will do for now.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I’m firmly in “Any Democrat 2020” mode. I’m a registered independent, and I keep wishing there was a truly liberal party I could vote for, but “Not Republican” will do for now.

+1

It's "Not Republican" all the way down the ballot, and the way the system's set up that means Democrat, even when I'm not particularly excited about the Democrat in question.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
+2

Add me to that list. I'm an independant and my position on various issues is all over the place.

I used to believe both sides of the aisle contained roughly equal ratios of douchebags / individuals who legitimately wanted to make the country a better place for its citizens. Of this latter group, I figured they simply disagreed about how best to achieve this shared goal. As long as the individual seemed thoughtful and sincere, willing to listen to new arguments and keep an open mind, I'd give them fair consideration when election time rolled around.

Honestly, it's in my personal best interests to keep a balance between the two, since an overwhelming majority on either side means some of my pet issues will be put at immediate risk.

Now? After two years of watching nearly every Republican official roll over and let Trump piss all over everything? After they've made it clear that they're perfectly happy to drill holes in this ship we all occupy as long as they get a chunk of the loot and a space on the lifeboat? I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole. Trump is toxic, and he pollutes everything he touches. Anyone who willingly courts, or even endures, that touch without so much as pushing back is, IMO, abhorrant, and not to be tolerated.

So for this next election, I say bring on the Democrats. Re: the issues where I disagree with them... I'm willing to take that hit, because if the Republicans continue on their current trajectory, there won't be a democracy left anyway.

Last edited:

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Now? After two years of watching nearly every Republican official roll over and let Trump piss all over everything? After they've made it clear that they're perfectly happy to drill holes in this ship we all occupy as long as they get a chunk of the loot and a space on the lifeboat? I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole. Trump is toxic, and he pollutes everything he touches. Anyone who willingly courts, or even endures, that touch without so much as pushing back is, IMO, abhorrant, and not to be tolerated.

This is what has had me baffled since he started running in 2015. I thought he would be tolerated by the party until he was no longer useful, but no matter how toxic his brand gets, he seems to be winning over more party converts. I'm a former Repub supporter (THAT ended with W and the Iraq war) and I can't, no matter how much I put myself into my former interior conservative logic, see how what he is doing serves the GOP party machinery or furthers their agenda. I expected him to be discarded in disgrace long ago.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
After they've made it clear that they're perfectly happy to drill holes in this ship we all occupy as long as they get a chunk of the loot and a space on the lifeboat?

The big GOP donors don't care which side the WH boat lists as long as they get tax and regulation cuts. Money is the core problem with US politics. Curb donations and Americans will start to experience what _real_ democracy feels like.

-cb

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
It seems the Republicans that are left are now too deep in it to discard #45. If they do, then they'd admitted they were dead wrong and the consequences will be placed squarely on them.

Also, I'm inclined to think that they're all in Putin's pay somehow, it's just that #45 is the "main investment".

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
It seems the Republicans that are left are now too deep in it to discard #45. If they do, then they'd admitted they were dead wrong and the consequences will be placed squarely on them.

Also, I'm inclined to think that they're all in Putin's pay somehow, it's just that #45 is the "main investment".

I think they're also terrified of their base voters, who generally hold Trump in high regard (especially the Republicans in rural areas). It limits their ability to appeal to voters outside their base, but as much as they need independents to win elections, they can't risk antagonizing registered Republican voters either. The number of Registered Republicans may be shrinking, but it still is necessary for GOP politicians to fend off primary challengers at the very least, and probably to win general elections too.

They are truly between a rock and a hard place. It's a position of their own making, imo, since they've been riling up and polarizing their base for years with the whole "culture wars" shtick, but given their situation, it's unsurprising that they're rallying behind #45.

Last edited:

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
They are truly between a rock and a hard place. It's a position of their own making, imo, since they've been riling up and polarizing their base for years with the whole "culture wars" shtick, but given their situation, it's unsurprising that they're rallying behind #45.

Very true.

And the ones that were fired or who left appear to have been the lucky ones. Or just a little more astute than they were given credit for.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In fact, they're smocked. Totally smocked.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com

I strongly suspect that, if the major top Republican players hadn't been compromised, #45 wouldn't be #45; they needed a shield in place to ensure their unstable Manchurian candidate not only got into office, but stayed there - at least, long enough for the agenda to play out.